Melbourne Football

2012-13 Membership

hakz7

Okie dokie, let's get started.

AyeCee - its a bit of a double edged sword. Without people like me there is no club.

Incorrect. Without people who pay for full season memberships, there is no club. Whilst 5 game memberships are used to boost our figures, I can guarantee that the club is not trying to improve our coveted 5 game members.

Just think about this. You aren't even a proper member. You can only call yourself a member for 5 games.

The business theory is simple. Allow more people to attend the games = greater attendance = greater interest

Lul, I'm only in my first semester of a business course, and I can already tell you that it is not a 'simple' business theory. How are we allowing more people to attend? Dropping prices has shown to do very little, next suggestion please.

In today's economy not everyone can afford a season pass. For this same reason even AFL clubs offer 3-5 game memberships. It is better for the club to have something rather than nothing.

At first i could not afford a seasons pass, so the 5 game membership was appealing. We did well enough for me the purchase another 5 game membership.

Unfortunately the cost of living is rising. This will add added strain to families. Maybe the 3-5 game membership will enable those full season ticket holders to remain members, while encouraging others to join.

I'm not going to go too much into this, as I understand the difficulty of budgets (I eat 60c pasta every night). However, this does not mean that normal organisations have to change to accommodate me.

I struggle to meet deadlines, as is the case with many other people, but as a result, I'll look at the monthly payment option the club provides. There is no way I'd be able to raise the membership cost in one big payment right now, but I may be able to pay smaller amounts by month. If you're motivated enough, you can adapt to meet expectations.

I'm just trying to point out that by offering a flexible 5 game membership, which allows people to skimp out, the club will lose important revenue.

Will i buy a season pass following all the uncertainty expected from July 1st? I don't know - but a 5 game membership will get over the line! But i wont buy a five game membership if i have to sit behind the goals, when the half way line is bare.

Like I said, ask the club about payment options, they will try to make it work for you.

But in regards to that final sentence, I ask you this. If you fly on a plane in economy, and notice that business class is empty, does that mean you are automatically entitled to such seating?

I really don't think so.

• Like 1

But in regards to that final sentence, I ask you this. If you fly on a plane in economy, and notice that business class is empty, does that mean you are automatically entitled to such seating?

I really don't think so.

But if you sell those seat at a lower rate you are actually making more money, as those seats were not sold in the first place. Thus my theory.

Sell more seats!

For some reason i have the feeling that most people who are attacking my arguments probably live at home, are students on support payments, or have little to no financial responsibility.

Ayecee as a business student i thought you may understand my views a little more. The difference is i am actually a university business graduate with many years experience in the corporate business and marketing world.

How would you interpret the theory of economies of scale, and the cost benefits of such theories, with relation to Melbourne heart?

The truth is Melbourne Heart will have to increase membership price packages as operational costs will increase from July 1st. This cost will have to be passed on. With everyone else experiencing these same costs being passed on, what disadvantage would a 5 game membership offer fans?

Ayecee as a business student i thought you may understand my views a little more. The difference is i am actually a university business graduate with many years experience in the corporate business and marketing world.

How would you interpret the theory of economies of scale, and the cost benefits of such theories, with relation to Melbourne heart?

The truth is Melbourne Heart will have to increase membership price packages as operational costs will increase from July 1st. This cost will have to be passed on. With everyone else experiencing these same costs being passed on, what disadvantage would a 5 game membership offer fans?

As a business student and marketing practitioner you would also be familiar with the concepts of segmentation, value propositions and cannibalisation.

• Like 1

But if you sell those seat at a lower rate you are actually making more money, as those seats were not sold in the first place. Thus my theory.

No, that question was in relation to the stadium's seating arrangements. Your argument of dropping ticket prices has already been dismantled, with significant support from others on here. You should not be able to sit anywhere, you are not entitled to, unless you fork out the cash. Just the way things are.

For some reason i have the feeling that most people who are attacking my arguments probably live at home, are students on support payments, or have little to no financial responsibility.

Ignoring this, as I feel it is irrelevant. I am not in any of those categories though, if that means anything.

Now you have left the actual topic, and are just trying to show that you know everything. The fact is, I'm sure the club has a bunch of people also with your qualifications and above, and the current set-up is how they think things should be run.

The fact is, I'm sure the club has a bunch of people also with your qualifications and above, and the current set-up is how they think things should be run.

This does not mean whatever any club is doing is always correct. we must remember the jets found their initial membership and ticketing pricing ineffective, and consequently changed it mid season - to eventually have 10,000 members. Many clubs in the past have entered administration (both in Australia and abroad). We cannot always presume club directives and operations are always correct.

The reality is we need more people at our games. The more bums on seats, the greater the probability of turning supporters into members. If, by all reports, we need 9,000 members to break even - I believe we failed to break 9,000 for a single home game (excluding the derby). I stand to be corrected but I believe our largest home game was against the roar (bar victory). And it was in that game that members could bring a patron for free. Thus by making heart games more accessible, you are able to attract more people to the game, increasing your chances of turning these supporters into regular attendees or even members.

So if supporters cannot afford full season memberships, they MUST be given an option to purchase membership options that are more affordable based on their budget.

The big question the management must ask themselves is - how many heart members have foxtel sports subscriptions? If this number is high, then their may be a fear that unless membership options are appealing, the desire to take up a membership may be less.

The first thing to go when the economy is not in full flight is luxury items.

From the clubs perspective, they should aim to have something rather than nothing. We can reasonably expect that only 66% of members turn up to each game, thus why enforce a 'level based' membership when our home games are capped in the first place. I don't believe we even got close to the capped attendance for any game excluding the derby.

Edited by markn

Hahah, I can't believe how much your posts have evolved during this discussion, that response makes much more sense than some of your first. I'm glad I could bring this out :P

Like I said, that makes much more sense, and I'm able to see some logical thinking behind it. I still don't agree, but that's a simple difference in opinion. I never said the club was right, was simply pointing out that we won't have any say, not until I'm CEO that is.

My main points, in response to you, in convenient dot-point form:

- Pricing is not the issue, it's the lack of marketing. People still have enough money to spend on entertainment, they just need to choose this sport over other options.

- The options of making full membership more accessible are out there, maybe the club should advertise these more.

- 5 game memberships won't be able to support our club, there is a lack of brand loyalty.

- Foxtel is an issue that relates to the whole league, and sport even. It is near impossible to deal with it at club level.

• Like 1

I also think that the club needs to come out to different areas (shopping plazas, local games etc) because there is alot of people who want to sign up that just don't until round 3-4 then they say ahh well I'll sign up next season.

What they should do Is play a derby game 2 weeks out from the season (get the people who sit on the fence there) and have a big membership drive before and after the game. That could be a extra 200 memberships right there (and if we split gate taking some extra $$$) and 200 extra members 2-3 weeks out could easily turn into 500 by the time the season starts if people sign their mates up!

What they should do Is play a derby game 2 weeks out from the season (get the people who sit on the fence there) and have a big membership drive before and after the game. That could be a extra 200 memberships right there (and if we split gate taking some extra $$$) and 200 extra members 2-3 weeks out could easily turn into 500 by the time the season starts if people sign their mates up!

Sorry, but this is a horrible idea.

It devalues the spectacle that is the Melbourne Derby, especially when playing for nothing in the middle of AFL finals.

The league will never allow us and the Visitors to play in pre-season, that's why both were banished from competing in the FFV Cup and that had the potential of being a sell-out playing for silverware.

The best thing they can do is make a bit of noise with a proper marketing drive and being visible in the public. The best way of doing this is a strong FTA advertising (even if its just on the secondary channels) campaign coupled with print and radio advertising.

• Like 1

Put simply, a membership is your financial commitment towards the club! For myself that little piece of plastic represents so much more than simply entry to the ground, but rather pride in knowing that I'm not simply a fan but more a supporter through thick and thin. These limited game memberships have a place, but they should in no form devalue the benefit of that of a full season ticket. They are, and should only be an introduction to attending matches. My belief is that they should gain access to a certain section of the ground only and applicable for certain fixtures only (definitely not derby fixtures as full members should be given access to pre-purchase these available tickets for their friends and family first) ... probably the best place would be the GA section at the Swan Street end of the ground. Therefore allowing the on the fence supporters to still attend matches and have some sort of affiliation with the club without stepping on the toes of those full season ticket holders and those that fork out even more for premium seating. These memberships should also be only 1 per person however, should they wish to upgrade that to a full membership that option should be available minus their initial outlay.

Like Kingawesomeness said it's up to you how much you're willing to sacrifice to be a part of your club, and the pay as you go payment option is perfect to make such a product even more affordable. I took up this option when it became available and the thing I like about it the most is that it's an auto-renew, essentially making me a member for life. In fact, the Western Bulldogs membership I purchase, of which I would not be able to fork out 450 odd in one hit I also pay by the month, and they actually call this membership option "Bulldog for life" which gives me a sense of pride.

There's no doubt that increasing our clubs membership is crucial, I think we just need to be smart about it and work out a way that everyone can be happy.

Myki on the money

It seems like a lot of crap to read through to get the gist of what everyone is saying.

My 2 cents would be this -

We aren't close to selling out the main parts of the stadium though the ends are filling quite nicely (as has been mentioned).

I would like, for this season only (as I suspect membership will grow when we win ;-)) to reduce the difference between GA and reserve. I don't expect the club to let GA sit in reserve seats, but I would be very happy to pay $30 or so on top of what I pay for GA to sit in reserve seating for the season. It fills seats so we definitely look better on tv (I've noticed it looks like we have only 200 member in attendance when you what it on tv), and gives something extra for the members.

*Perhaps this could be a free upgrade or something for people who have been members from day 1?

• Like 1

We were going to buy a membership in our first season after attending a number of games as a casual supporter but didn't as we had to pay the full season ticket price even though there were only a few rounds to go. We then bought a family membership last year and plan to again from now on.

I believe if memberships were sold at a rate that reflected the number of games left in the season we would sell a lot more as people come on board and then hopefully they will remain members into the future.

One initiative that the club could embrace was having a family section on the wings. Keep the price the same as the regular GA family membership as it's quite an investment for a family to purchase a family membership. This will also appease any of the parents that want to keep their kids away from swearing/yelling, etc behind the goals. The side opposite the players tunnel would be ideal for this and keep all the Premium Reserve for the other side

• Like 1

It seems like a lot of crap to read through to get the gist of what everyone is saying.

My 2 cents would be this -

We aren't close to selling out the main parts of the stadium though the ends are filling quite nicely (as has been mentioned).

I would like, for this season only (as I suspect membership will grow when we win ;-)) to reduce the difference between GA and reserve. I don't expect the club to let GA sit in reserve seats, but I would be very happy to pay $30 or so on top of what I pay for GA to sit in reserve seating for the season. It fills seats so we definitely look better on tv (I've noticed it looks like we have only 200 member in attendance when you what it on tv), and gives something extra for the members.

*Perhaps this could be a free upgrade or something for people who have been members from day 1?

So, based on last season's prices, you're saying that an adult GA member paying $195 for the season should be able to pay an extra $30 and have the seat next to a Premium B adult member who has paid $375? Or indeed the Premium A adult who has paid $495?

Come on, you can't be serious.

So, based on last season's prices, you're saying that an adult GA member paying $195 for the season should be able to pay an extra $30 and have the seat next to a Premium B adult member who has paid $375? Or indeed the Premium A adult who has paid $495?

Come on, you can't be serious.

I'm talking about reducing the difference between GA and Premium prices. No one would be paying $375 because the premium season ticket would be reduced to $250 or so. No one is getting ripped off.

The money the club looses by charging less for premium tickets is made up by the increase in former GA members buying the cheaper premium tickets.

• Like 1

I'm talking about reducing the difference between GA and Premium prices. No one would be paying $375 because the premium season ticket would be reduced to $250 or so. No one is getting ripped off.

The money the club looses by charging less for premium tickets is made up by the increase in former GA members buying the cheaper premium tickets.

...meaning four GA members would have to pay the premium to make up for the loss incurred on every Premium B member paying less...can you really see that happening? All you're really suggesting is that the club reduce the cost of Premium B memberships.

I don't know where this thread is going. Seems to me much of it is individuals pursuing ideas that are in their self-interest.

There are already significant concessions available on the standard adult memberships prices - children, pensioners, families - which are already significantly cheaper than what you will pay on a walk-up game-by-game basis. There is a pay-monthly option. There are upgrades. I'm all for flexible limited-game packages to get people interested, or to suit an individual's particular circumstances, or offers aimed at boosting attendances at particular games, but my basic principle is that no 'special offer' should be cheaper per-game than a full season membership, or devalue a full-season membership, and nothing should be offered that risks alienating full-season members.

IMO memberships are great value. It's a matter of choosing what suits you and your pocket.

ALSO - let us sit wherever we want. we only get 6,000 per game so why can't i just sit wherever i want?

The only reserved seating should be behind the coaches box. everything else should be general admin.

If someone pays $55 for entry, then you need nearly 3 people at $20 to get the same revenue. They would need to do the sums and see if its viable. But I agree, it looks shit on tv the way it is: the camera facing side should be general admission

The club does need to address the empty seats on the wings, not sure about cheaper upgrade for GA to sit there... but maybe the club could look at a buy back option for those members in those areas that are not going... say at 75% of the ticket value for those games and then resale them at 90% for anyone who wants them for that particular game.

...meaning four GA members would have to pay the premium to make up for the loss incurred on every Premium B member paying less...can you really see that happening? All you're really suggesting is that the club reduce the cost of Premium B memberships.

I don't know where this thread is going. Seems to me much of it is individuals pursuing ideas that are in their self-interest.

There are already significant concessions available on the standard adult memberships prices - children, pensioners, families - which are already significantly cheaper than what you will pay on a walk-up game-by-game basis. There is a pay-monthly option. There are upgrades. I'm all for flexible limited-game packages to get people interested, or to suit an individual's particular circumstances, or offers aimed at boosting attendances at particular games, but my basic principle is that no 'special offer' should be cheaper per-game than a full season membership, or devalue a full-season membership, and nothing should be offered that risks alienating full-season members.

IMO memberships are great value. It's a matter of choosing what suits you and your pocket.

Mmmm, sorry I'm not a marketing genius as you obviously are.

It wasn't out of self interest that I mentioned this approach. The stadium looks so much better with people in the main parts of the stadium. More than likely, most new members will choose GA member tickets, further packing the ends and the sides will continue to be barren wastelands, with no one in site. Perhaps the $30-50 was a bit low, but in general, I think there should not be such a big difference between the options.

If you are unsure as to "where this thread is going" then maybe you should re-read the thread title. We are talking about club memberships. Everyone is entitled to there ideas, whether unlikely to work or not. It is after all a discussions thread.

• Like 1

Seating/Memberships should be something like this IMO prices are based on Adults, Membership/per game ticket prices.

Also, Munn said on Thursday that membership prices where going up, but there would be a 'price freeze' for last seasons members for a certain period of time.

20u7ozr.jpg

Sorry, got a bit fired up, so bored with no football.....

No need to apologise. It's an open forum for discussion as you say.

The biggest puzzle for me is why people buy a reserved seat membership and then don't turn up. Not for just one game now and then, but game after game after game. Many seats around me are usually empty - but they have been sold to members - this has been confirmed by the club. I simply don't understand why anyone would buy a membership and then not turn up.

No need to apologise. It's an open forum for discussion as you say.

The biggest puzzle for me is why people buy a reserved seat membership and then don't turn up. Not for just one game now and then, but game after game after game. Many seats around me are usually empty - but they have been sold to members - this has been confirmed by the club. I simply don't understand why anyone would buy a membership and then not turn up.

maybe they sit in other places, just random seats.

i would assume with a Premium A membership they would allow you behind the goals, in the Active Support and even Premium B, even though i dont know why they would do this.

IMO, the best way to attract members is word of mouth.

if each supporter on this forum gets one or people signed up then we are already looking positive for next year.

combine this with this 'membership drive' being talked about by the club, and we're half a chance to get to the 9,000 we're looking for.

The biggest puzzle for me is why people buy a reserved seat membership and then don't turn up. Not for just one game now and then, but game after game after game.

Scott Munn stated that only 40% of members turn up for any match.

I suspect that many members tickets are sold to corporates. I know that in year 1 many sitting around me changed each week taking advantage of company tickets.

There was also a 50% churn rate of members between year 1 & 2. Apparently AFL have around a 15% churn rate. It's hard to know whether this is just a first year effect.

Scott Munn stated that only 40% of members turn up for any match.

Perhaps this is because our season runs over the summer and people have family get togethers, go fishing with friends etc. A lot of people are away over Christmas and January. Also mid-week games are no good for a lot of people with school and work commitments (remember the turn out against Newcastle in our first season when we only had around 2500 at the game?).

People may be members and support the club but the fixturing of multiple home games followed by multiple away games also means that should people be away, they may miss three games in a row should a block of home fixtures be during holidays. Maybe a consistent home and away season ie. one home game followed by an away game giving a fortnight between games would encourage people to attend as most people I know like routine.

Also I don't think I've ever used the word "people" so many times before.

• Like 1

Perhaps this is because our season runs over the summer and people have family get togethers, go fishing with friends etc. A lot of people are away over Christmas and January. Also mid-week games are no good for a lot of people with school and work commitments (remember the turn out against Newcastle in our first season when we only had around 2500 at the game?).

People may be members and support the club but the fixturing of multiple home games followed by multiple away games also means that should people be away, they may miss three games in a row should a block of home fixtures be during holidays. Maybe a consistent home and away season ie. one home game followed by an away game giving a fortnight between games would encourage people to attend as most people I know like routine.

Also I don't think I've ever used the word "people" so many times before.

Must say the 40% figure quoted by SM surprises me. So, with 6,700 members, only 2,700 were turning up, meaning when we drew 7,000 in our last two home games (Phoenix and Sydney) we had 4,300 walk-ups. Approximate figures of course. What that tells me is that we actually do get a fairly healthy walk-up attendance, and that ought to be one of our targets for recruiting new members, selling multi-game packages etc. When I watched football in England there was always a big emphasis on the next home game in the half-time and after-match announcements.

That's just one of my pet rants of course - do away with the mind-numbing 'entertainment' and loud 'music' and actually focus on the club and club events.

Moving on...many of the points you raise are relevant. However, there is never going to be a perfect solution that suits everybody. Unfortunately, much is determined by the demands of PayTV. As soon as I get the fixture I mark all the home games and KO times on the kitchen calendar, and my manager is now aware that no conflicting social contracts are to be entered into.

IMO the most important point you raise is a regular home-and-away season, and despite my comment about PayTV above I really can't see why this cannot be achieved. It beats me how Adelaide can get the majority of their home games on Friday and Saturday evenings, whereas some other clubs are all over the shop. Heart's fixture last season was awful.

Edit: Apparently SM also commented on the value or otherwise of 'marquee players.' I think what he really was referring to was 'name players.' I'm prepared to accept that over the longer-term many 'name' players don't make very much difference to a club. But surely, in the short-term, they do produce a buzz and excitement, and a marketing opportunity, that gets attention on the club? Let's say it had been Heart that had signed Harry Kewell for last season - does SM really believe that he would have made no difference to our football or our attendances? ATM, if you haven't become a member in the past two seasons, what is it about Heart for 2012-13 that is likely to persuade you to join up? It sure isn't the likelihood of 257 back-passes to Bolton per match.

Edited by jw1739

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently the draft for next years fixture that went out to all the clubs on Monday has the Melbourne Derby in round 1. Doubt it'll be our home game though as we want the Christmas derby again and surely we won't get 2/3 home games again this season.

I think it would be good, and better for continuous membership, to have a longer season with each team playing each other home and away twice. This way there are four derbys in Melbourne (no claim of unfair from the other lot) as well as in Sydney and Central Coast V Newcastle. Also the four NSW clubs should have good crowds when they play each other.

This is surely better for TV as there should be higher crowds so it looks better, not to mention more income for clubs.

Also the off season won't be as long. I don't think I'm alone in being ready for the next season to kick off about now. Do we have the longest off season in the world?

More games over a longer period would be great in my opinion, perhaps with a summer break from Christmas to the end of January which would allow for members work/family holidays (I know I have brought up the holiday issue before) and also allow for overseas players/coaches to return home for a couple of weeks which might make our league more attractive to be involved in which could then increase memberships with a higher calibre of import.

So from memory in our 3 seasons of existence our membership slogans have been; Join us as we earn our stripes, red white and you and It's time to play your part.

Not overly bad but they don't really get my blood pumping. The best slogan I've seen attached to the A-League in general is "We are football"