Melbourne Football

Player Contracts - 2018-19

forbze

If the visa players fall outside the cap that means a team like us could bring in lampard, iniesta etc. as visa players which would imbalance the league. God forbid that happens.

Well there is nothing to stop the FFA putting a cap on how much you can spend on the Marquee players that are outside of the squad cap. This way it mean teams don't spend stupid amounts on these players.

Does anyone know if we have reached our cap level?

Can Miller play as an injury replacement for Koren, and would the money he was paid fall outside the cap?

I've heard one journalist say that Melbourne City does not have enough money to sign a final player under the salary cap. The minimum salary for a player is about $55,000, and the salary cap this season is $2.55 million, for effectively 21 players (minus the 2 marquees). So the rough average per player per season is about $100,000, which is chickenfeed in the global market for football players (with, as many state, very inflated prices for footballers). Especially when the likes of Mooy is signed for about $300,000 per season, it quickly means that there's very little salary cap for other players (which the club probably had to do with Mooy, as he was offered Aus marquee deals from other clubs, and was reportedly signed pre-takeover, hence Mooy thought he was joining Heart).

But at the same time it hasn't been confirmed that the club can't sign at least 1 more player under the cap. I'd guess though if the club could sign another player, that that player would probably be on minimum wages ($55k) and then the question needs to be asked if a player prepared to accept such low wages can add anything meaningful to the team.

That's why I believe the club is looking at the likes of Liam Miller for an injury replacement deal. Why not strengthen the team as much as possible? And you never know, Miller could show value and stick around to play for next season or beyond (Wielaert and Germano will definitely be moved on by season's end, so we'll have free Visa spots).

With the lack of confirmation around the salary cap being full, I'm somewhat hoping a decent player (like, say, in LB) will be signed in the January transfer window on $55k for the remaining half season, 14 games. But I'm not holding my breath, and appreciate that apart from Mooy, Koren, Kennedy joining the squad that the only other new players to join the team will be injury replacement players, perhaps like Miller.

With the news that Miller has been signed as an injury replacement for Germano until the end of December then it is highly likely the rumours are true about being unable to fit another player under the cap.

Can Miller play as an injury replacement for Koren, and would the money he was paid fall outside the cap?

I've heard one journalist say that Melbourne City does not have enough money to sign a final player under the salary cap. The minimum salary for a player is about $55,000, and the salary cap this season is $2.55 million, for effectively 21 players (minus the 2 marquees). So the rough average per player per season is about $100,000, which is chickenfeed in the global market for football players (with, as many state, very inflated prices for footballers). Especially when the likes of Mooy is signed for about $300,000 per season, it quickly means that there's very little salary cap for other players (which the club probably had to do with Mooy, as he was offered Aus marquee deals from other clubs, and was reportedly signed pre-takeover, hence Mooy thought he was joining Heart).

But at the same time it hasn't been confirmed that the club can't sign at least 1 more player under the cap. I'd guess though if the club could sign another player, that that player would probably be on minimum wages ($55k) and then the question needs to be asked if a player prepared to accept such low wages can add anything meaningful to the team.

That's why I believe the club is looking at the likes of Liam Miller for an injury replacement deal. Why not strengthen the team as much as possible? And you never know, Miller could show value and stick around to play for next season or beyond (Wielaert and Germano will definitely be moved on by season's end, so we'll have free Visa spots).

With the lack of confirmation around the salary cap being full, I'm somewhat hoping a decent player (like, say, in LB) will be signed in the January transfer window on $55k for the remaining half season, 14 games. But I'm not holding my breath, and appreciate that apart from Mooy, Koren, Kennedy joining the squad that the only other new players to join the team will be injury replacement players, perhaps like Miller.

With the news that Miller has been signed as an injury replacement for Germano until the end of December then it is highly likely the rumours are true about being unable to fit another player under the cap.

I disagree,

JVS has stated multiple times that they're looking to sign another player I don't think he'd say that if we didn't.  We probably don't have much most likely the bare minimum but I assume they're still looking for a decent Left back or anyone who pops up in January.

I disagree,

JVS has stated multiple times that they're looking to sign another player I don't think he'd say that if we didn't.  We probably don't have much most likely the bare minimum but I assume they're still looking for a decent Left back or anyone who pops up in January.

Well it depends what the bare minimum is JP. Also can we actually sign a better player than Ramsay on that sort of money?

I believe the minimum amount you can pay a player is $55,000 which has been stated here a couple times and above by Murf (though I haven't seen it written down). The only players really available for that kind of money would be state league players (whose signing have been pretty hit and miss over the years) and most of the best state league players from last season have already been picked up by other A-League clubs. While for now that amount may be pitiful if by the end of the season we can pay the full amount for only a couple of games that may be enough to  entice a higher quality player.

I believe the minimum amount you can pay a player is $55,000 which has been stated here a couple times and above by Murf (though I haven't seen it written down). The only players really available for that kind of money would be state league players (whose signing have been pretty hit and miss over the years) and most of the best state league players from last season have already been picked up by other A-League clubs. While for now that amount may be pitiful if by the end of the season we can pay the full amount for only a couple of games that may be enough to  entice a higher quality player.

Well by then it won't make much difference unless we are in the play offs JP.

• 1 month later...

Here's the list. With pretty much all the remaining Heart players coming out of contract at the end of the season, it will be perfectly possible then to create one of the strongest squads in the league, with no real weak areas:

MELBOURNE CITY

2014/15
Damien Duff (V)
Mate Dugandžić
Jonathan Germano (V)
Nick Kalmar
Patrick Kisnorbo
Massimo Murdocca
Iain Ramsay
Pablo Retre
Tando Velaphi
Rob Wielaert (V)

2015/16
James Brown
Connor Chapman
Jason Hoffman

Joshua Kennedy (M)

Robert Koren (V) (M)
Marc Marino*
Stefan Mauk
Jacob Melling*
Aaron Mooy
Andrew Redmayne
David Williams

2016/17
Ben Garuccio

2017/18
Eric Paartalu

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Here's the list. With pretty much all the remaining Heart players coming out of contract at the end of the season, it will be perfectly possible then to create one of the strongest squads in the league, with no real weak areas:

MELBOURNE CITY

2014/15

Damien Duff (V)

Mate Dugandžić

Jonathan Germano (V)

Nick Kalmar

Patrick Kisnorbo

Massimo Murdocca

Iain Ramsay

Pablo Retre

Tando Velaphi

Rob Wielaert (V)

2015/16

James Brown

Connor Chapman

Jason Hoffman

Joshua Kennedy (M)

Robert Koren (V) (M)

Marc Marino*

Stefan Mauk

Jacob Melling*

Aaron Mooy

Andrew Redmayne

David Williams

2016/17

Ben Garuccio

2017/18

Eric Paartalu

Well I think all ten of those players will go unless Duff has a change of heart. Maybe then we can do some serious rebuilding for next season.

Of course we have the play offs to fight for this season and hopefully we can make it in 5th or 6th place.

Hopefully we are looking at players from other teams who's contracts may be ending in the summer.

MELBOURNE CITY

2014/15

Damien Duff (V)

Mate Dugandžić

Jonathan Germano (V)

Nick Kalmar

Patrick Kisnorbo

Massimo Murdocca

Iain Ramsay

Pablo Retre

Tando Velaphi

Rob Wielaert (V)

2015/16

James Brown

Connor Chapman

Jason Hoffman

Joshua Kennedy (M)

Robert Koren (V) (M)

Marc Marino*

Stefan Mauk

Jacob Melling*

Aaron Mooy

Andrew Redmayne

David Williams

2016/17

Ben Garuccio

2017/18

Eric Paartalu

I wouldn't keep any of those whose contracts are up at the end of 2014/15. (BTW Murf, Kalmar has already gone). If we can somehow find a way to move Redmayne on then I would possibly keep Tando as a No. 2 for another season, but I see it as highly unlikely Redmayne will move until his contract ends.

I guess the question is what to do with those who are contracted for next season. IMO:

Brown is a useful and versatile MF/forward. I can see him getting some time from the bench from time to time;

Chapman should be a regular starter at CB;

Hoffman is another player who I would try to move on (with little chance of succeeding I would think). At best a squad utility;

Kennedy should be a regular starter at no. 9;

Koren should be a regular starter at no. 10;

Marino is unlikely to get much opportunity while Williams still blocks his path. May occasionally feature from the bench.

Mauk doesn't look to be progressing as well as expected. Definitely behind Melling in MF. Opportunities will be limited unless we have injuries.

Melling should feature regularly in MF from the bench.

Mooy should be a regular starter in MF;

Redmayne is at best a mediocre no. 2 GK. As above, if possible move him on.

Williams will probably feature from the bench at no. 9 or on the wing.

Garuccio should be our starting LW;

Paartalu should be our starting DM.

So I reckon we have six of next year's starting XI, and Melling is there putting a lot of pressure on the midfielders to perform or make way. We therefore need to recruit five players for the starting line-up, and three (four if FFA doesn't change the rules) of these can be visa players. Our needs for the starting XI are:

GK;

RB, CB, LB;

RW.

IMO we would then have a quality line-up to play entertaining football and give the silverware a nudge. It should be more than possible if we go about things the right way.

• Like 2

As good as it might be to have a massive clear-out the salary cap remains and we have two broad choices on how to spend the money:
a) a starting team of great players who are getting paid more than the average A-League player with back-ups who are less than average getting paid peanuts. This works well if we can manage injuries.

B) a squad of average players getting paid average wages with 2-3 players being exceptional on big wages (marques plus 1 or 2).

For me it comes down to how much are the players who are out f contract asking. I'd keep a few if they were on minimal wages.

Is Redders def contracted for next year? I recall it only being a three year deal when we signed him, this being the third?

Fwiw, if take whichever will take the least out of him and Tando as a number two keeper, with a choice of Tando if it were tied.

Edited by bt50

Is Redders def contracted for next year? I recall it only being a three year deal when we signed him, this being the third?

Fwiw, if take whichever will take the least out of him and Tando as a number two keeper, with a choice of Tando if it were tied.

Unfortunately yes. I thought the same as you until I found http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/Hoffman-and-Redmayne-resign/68796

• 1 month later...

Of the ten players out of contract at the end of the season, the only two that we should consider retaining are Velaphi and Retre.

Maybe they are worth another year.

However, the remaining 8 need to be shown the door no matter how well they play between now and the end of the season.

We have a good chance of doing a significant overhaul on the team and it is one we can't afford to mess up by being too loyal to players who for the most part have continually came up short.

Of the ten players out of contract at the end of the season, the only two that we should consider retaining are Velaphi and Retre.

Maybe they are worth another year.

However, the remaining 8 need to be shown the door no matter how well they play between now and the end of the season.

We have a good chance of doing a significant overhaul on the team and it is one we can't afford to mess up by being too loyal to players who for the most part have continually came up short.

No to Retre for me.

Just to re-iterate the players whose contract comes to an end this season:

Wieleart (v)

Germano (v)

Duff (v)

Baharudin (v)

Jaliens (v + replacement)

Dugandzic

Ramsay

Retre

Velaphi

Kisnorbo

Murdocca

Of the visa players only Buharadin should be given consideration on his performance so far. But I am willing to wait till season's end - if he keeps that level of performance I am willing to give him another contract.

Jaliens? This is a hard one - his performance has been good but he is 36 yo.

Velaphi? Unless the club is willing to use a visa spot on a much better quality GK then I am happy for him to stay. I would prefer to see whether Redmayne can be induced to depart and a visa GK be brought in.

Retre - coming off the bench the last two games he hasn't screwed up and has been handy. can he improve? Hard to say - undecided.

Dugandzic - he is not going to improve and this season has not done enough. I rather his position be filled by an NYL player. Thank you for your services and wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

Murdocca - Can't go forward only sideways. Thank you for your services and wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

Kisnorbo - Has aged too much and poor distribution. Thank you for your services and wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

Ramsay - Thank you for your services and wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

• 4 weeks later...

We have a good squad. If it were my decision I'd keep Germano, Baharudin, Velaphi, Dugandzic, Novillo and Murdocca, as well as giving serious consideration to Kisnorbo and Jaliens. Culling the playing list has never worked for us in the past and it won't work now.

Get rid of 95% of the back room staff from top to bottom and watch all the players start to lift.

Harry Novillo and Baharudin are two foreign spots we should be getting excited about particularly Baharudin he has awareness where he should be positioned, a good knack defensively and has proved he can find the back of the net. Harry Novillo can be as good as Kahfahlah or even more if he applies himself at such a young age he could really tear the a league a part if he is focused. 

Edited by drewmelbcity
  • Like 1

Hoffman has proved himself as a more than serviceable squadie with incredible flexibility.

That is your opinion and I respect that, however from where I sit I feel he adds nothing in terms of creativity and yes he makes some okay stops defensively but to me he gets caught up field way to often leaving our cb's isolated. It is the unpopular opinion with most on this forum but I feel we are better parting ways and using his salary on someone else.

Dugandzic was the best winger in the league in 2011-12 and he'll get back there under quality coaching, was even dubbed the A-League Messi. That sort of quality doesn't just go away.

Murdocca is also an awesome squadie, you'd be concerned if he was consistently in the first XI but we're in the A-League and you need Murdoccas and Hoffmans to be successful.

• Like 3

Dugandzic was the best winger in the league in 2011-12 and he'll get back there under quality coaching, was even dubbed the A-League Messi. That sort of quality doesn't just go away.

Murdocca is also an awesome squadie, you'd be concerned if he was consistently in the first XI but we're in the A-League and you need Murdoccas and Hoffmans to be successful.

If running around a lot and not offering anything going forward is what you want the Massimo if your guy. I get he's popular because he actually engages the fans but for what he's no doubt getting paid I'd rather someone 10 years younger.

inb4 #yoof

The thing that concerns me most about Duga is his touch and strength on the ball. Don't know how many times this season I have seen him take a really poor first touch or been bundled far too easily off the ball.

I don't think these are things that quality coaching will resolve immediately for him. 

...besides, under quality coaching, every player should improve somewhat.

The only out and out spuds in the squad are Ramsay, Brown and Redmayne.

...and given that both Brown and Redmayne are contracted for next season, on your assessment we would hardly have any new players in next year's squad. That's a recipe for being a bottom-four club again, and that's not what the club aspires to be.

• Like 2

I think it's fair to say the club as made big errors in the length of contracts that they have handed out in recent seasons. So I feel that unless an exceptional talent comes along, then yearly contracts should be the order of the day for most of the squad.

Watching Paartalu recently, I wonder if the club regret giving him a 4 year contract.

At the moment it seems a costly mistake.

Edited by silva10
  • Like 1

I think it's fair to say the club as made big errors in the length of contracts that they have handed out in recent seasons. So I feel that unless an exceptional talent comes along, then yearly contracts should be the order of the day for most of the squad.

Watching Paartalu recently, I wonder if the club regret giving him a 4 year contract.

It's a Catch-22 situation. If you have players on 1-season contracts then if they turn out to be good then they are ripe for the picking by other clubs and no transfer fee applies at the end of the contract. If you sign players on longer-term contracts then there's the risk that they become deadwood. Alternatively if they perform well then other clubs start to chase them with a better offer. If it's an A-League club then there is generally a mutually-agreed release; if it's an overseas club then likely as not the contract has a buy-out minimum clause in it and provided the suitor agrees to pay that amount we have no option but to release that player.

To my knowledge we have Redmayne on a 3-year contract with one more season to run, Mooy on a 3-year with two more to run, and Paartalu on a 4-year with three to run. At the time all three appeared to make sense, but as it has turned out only Aaron Mooy has enhanced his reputation as a player. So far at least.

Koren and Kennedy both have one more season as marquees and IMO the jury is out on both of those signings. Hoffman was given a 2-year extension and has another year to run; that looks like a mistake at the moment. Williams was given the same 2-year extension and has a year to run; it probably looks like a mistake but he had been our leading scorer in 2013/14 so the decision to extend was probably justified at the time.

IMO you should look at each player individually and define a "core" of players that you see taking the club forward, and those are the ones who should be on longer-term contracts. The rest should be on one-year terms; if they explode as a talent during the season then you can always extend.

It's a Catch-22 situation. If you have players on 1-season contracts then if they turn out to be good then they are ripe for the picking by other clubs and no transfer fee applies at the end of the contract. If you sign players on longer-term contracts then there's the risk that they become deadwood. Alternatively if they perform well then other clubs start to chase them with a better offer. If it's an A-League club then there is generally a mutually-agreed release; if it's an overseas club then likely as not the contract has a buy-out minimum clause in it and provided the suitor agrees to pay that amount we have no option but to release that player.

To my knowledge we have Redmayne on a 3-year contract with one more season to run, Mooy on a 3-year with two more to run, and Paartalu on a 4-year with three to run. At the time all three appeared to make sense, but as it has turned out only Aaron Mooy has enhanced his reputation as a player. So far at least.

Koren and Kennedy both have one more season as marquees and IMO the jury is out on both of those signings. Hoffman was given a 2-year extension and has another year to run; that looks like a mistake at the moment. Williams was given the same 2-year extension and has a year to run; it probably looks like a mistake but he had been our leading scorer in 2013/14 so the decision to extend was probably justified at the time.

IMO you should look at each player individually and define a "core" of players that you see taking the club forward, and those are the ones who should be on longer-term contracts. The rest should be on one-year terms; if they explode as a talent during the season then you can always extend.

I don't begrudge either Williams or Hoffman getting contract extensions although I have never rated Hoffman. But both these players were amongst our best last season, and if they had been released them the club would have needed to find alternatives that are better and within the salary cap. I still see it as a safe, conservative decision. Williams as has been noted plays best coming off the bench and Hoffman has now been surpassed by Retre, Safuwan and Jaliens of which only Retre were at the club at the beginning of the season.

Did anyone see the news that Omar Abdulraman (Oman-David Luiz lookalike) signed for Richmond SC, the NPL club on a ten game Loan.

Apparently so he can play in the A-League?  Who knows…maybe a secret City signing?

hope he doesn't go to Victory...

Hmmm, it's definitely up on their official website - though many suggesting an April Fool's joke.

There was a bit of noise around him during the Asian Cup. Very classy with great vision, though a bit impetuous at times. Orchestrated their attack.

Still think he would be a wonderful signing for us. Play as a #10 or winger.

Would mean the end of Koren though.

Edit again: Apparently already signed a contract with his current Asian club through to 2020 a month ago, apparently making him Asia's highest paid player (or so Wiki says). So not sure how good a fit Richmond would be then! Still would be a great signing, sigh.

Edited by rass
  • Like 1

Seriously Hoffman has been tried as a Forward, Central Midfielder and a Full Back and he has not been able to cement a spot in any of these positions.

When we were a League Cellar Dweller I know his fans claimed he was a passable Full Back but now that we have at least progressed back to being a Lower Mid Table Club he is clearly not up to standard as a Fullback for where we are trying to go.

I think it really is time the club try move him on... as much as it might hurt a few fans feelings.

Did anyone see the news that Omar Abdulraman (Oman-David Luiz lookalike) signed for Richmond SC, the NPL club on a ten game Loan.

Apparently so he can play in the A-League?  Who knows…maybe a secret City signing?

A 10 game stint could suggest that we might be looking at trailing him in our NPL side later on in the NPL Season.

Also Williams has to be on the way out so that is going to release some sort of money plus Duga could be going as well so this does leaves open spots for another Winger/Forward on the list.

As if !!!

the highest paid player in Asia, coming to the A League

definitely an April Fool joke 

As if !!!

the highest paid player in Asia, coming to the A League

definitely an April Fool joke 

who knows….would be funny if it happened :D

probably is an april fools joke…they tricked me!

hopefully at the end of the season they can buy some one with a bit of class and flair, duga, ramsay, hoff and willo aint cutting, must say id hate to see will go though.

• jw1739 unpinned this topic