Melbourne Football

Matchday 3: v Western United - Sun 27th Oct 6.00 pm at GMHBA Stadium

Baka1

11 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

But it will be the same the rest of the season, even in the first round ADE vs SYD one was given. The rules have been tightened up, ANY hand ball with the arm away from the body is a penalty. It’s applied globally.

It's not the penalty I'm complaining about (although I still have my doubts about it) it's the second yellow card. That left us with 10 men and without our best defender next week. If they are saying that's a yellow. Then every handball is now a yellow 

Wow, excellent response after the midweek debacle.

Dominated first half and apart from some vulnerability around defending set pieces, we deserved to be on top against an old and slow WU team.

Thought we started to look too comfortable early second half and then we completely dropped the bundle for 20 mins or so. Not sure what the fuss around Delbo was, it was a reckless challenge and can understand the yellow. The worst thing about it though was he didn't break that fukn goat rooter's legs in the process.

Amazing goals from JMac, he's been awesome so far, but a special shout out to Genreau and Brilliante for their outstanding assists on both.

To come home with a 10 man win after looking like we had bottled it is exactly the tonic we needed. Great resilience and effort!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, neio said:

It's not the penalty I'm complaining about (although I still have my doubts about it) it's the second yellow card. That left us with 10 men and without our best defender next week. If they are saying that's a yellow. Then every handball is now a yellow 

I’m not too worried about missing him, seen an excellent replacement for the time being in Windy.

There was talks about rule change a while back about double punishment in like a penalty and red card. Not sure what happened to it.

The game should of been all over by half time if we were more deadly once we start to convert these chances we will put sides away better to create chances and miss them than not creating at all great effort second half to get the victory and to all the travelling city fans well done make sure we all turn up this week to our home game to help the lads get back to back victories!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

For next week I want to see Glover given a go over Bouz, I want Genreau to keep his spot, maybe switch Galloway to left fullback and play Atkinson on the right and Luna to return over Wales. 

Befitting a 3-0 loss.

Except we actually won and away from home.

Me, I’m bringing W. Bicher for Delly and that’s it.

• Like 3

Just got in. Worth the trip. Extremely surprised that it didn't rain during the game on the way up it was bucketing down. Didn't mind the ground,  not as bad as Marvel (which isn't hard) and a decent City turn out. If the crowd was 7k, we must have been close to 3k. 

Will go again. Of course a win always helps.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

For next week I want to see Glover given a go over Bouz, I want Genreau to keep his spot, maybe switch Galloway to left fullback and play Atkinson on the right and Luna to return over Wales. 

no way, Eric wouldn't allow that... Bouz wasn't outstanding tonight but he sure did stop WU's men from scoring a second after Delbo came off 

• Like 1

Also attended, City fans were excellent so a big bravo 👏

WHAT a win! Would have settled for the draw after the unfortunate sending off but wow, how good is Maclaren right now! Brillante and Genreau were also terrific as mentioned, and I think the addition of Metcalfe really helped (he was sloppy, but his forward runs were what inspired us to chase the win imo).

Should really be pushing for 9-10k next Sunday given our league form, we're undefeated after 3! Boys were super pumped up post-game too so expect a big performance against Welly.

• Like 4

Awesome road trip. A must attend game for something a bit different. More local rivalries will boost this game, up to 5 Melbourne teams in the A League for me. Jamie Maclaren is the difference maker. Delbridge a disaster yesterday. Active support great. Genreau flashed. Team was challenged. Boys responded. Precious away win just down the highway!

• Like 3

Great win, nice response from mid week. 
Delbo is great at one thing “defensive headers” but has no ability in any other area. I’m sure he tries his guts out but just doesn’t have the skill to keep his place ahead of Windbichler. 
Wales seems like a great kid, tries hard and super quick, but unfortunately he can’t pass, shoot or control the ball. We need to bring someone in that won’t kill the ball, Cabrera (when fit), Genreau? Ramy?

Also, glad to see Fornaroli get back on the scoresheet. 

Gritty win that. To go for the second was gutsy but caught them by surprise.

Genreau gave us more of an attacking edge and looks promising, worth persisting. Brillante was a lot more advanced than usual and nailed that long ball to Maclaren for our second. With Griffiths sitting deeper, that midfield looks balanced. 

Defensively we were pretty good. The problem is Delbridge. He's had a shocking week. The pass from Metcalfe was terrible but there's no excuse for flying in like a freight train. He makes dumb decisions in key moments. I'm glad he's off for a week because I'm keen to see what a Windbichler and Good partnership looks like. Bouzanis was solid.

Maclaren is a weapon. Exceptional performance. Noone is very slowly beginning to adapt but playing on the right is a good decision. He tucked in so much he basically played as a 10. Wales is an honest trier. Not a smart footballer and can't finish but will work hard for 90 minutes. He's very quick and presses well, which is probably why Mombaerts starts him. 

Metcalfe was strange. Gave away that ball then worked hard to get into good positions. But his final ball from wider positions is non-existent. Two or three times he just needed to put a ball across the face but couldn't and was given a huge bake from Maclaren. Should learn from that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Harrison said:

The problem is Delbridge. He's had a shocking week. The pass from Metcalfe was terrible but there's no excuse for flying in like a freight train. He makes dumb decisions in key moments.

Agree with your whole post above except for this.

You can't give any blame to Harrison for what transpired from Metcalfe's incompetence, as he did what he is meant to do, he ran in to defend the ball which is correct, did a perfect slide tackle and got the ball which is correct, the ball rebounded off the player and hit is arm which was out of his control and totally unlucky.

Up to that point the CBs were dominating.

Harrison and Good were doing a great job.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Agree with your whole post above except for this.

You can't give any blame to Harrison for what transpired from Metcalfe's incompetence, as he did what he is meant to do, he ran in to defend the ball which is correct, did a perfect slide tackle and got the ball which is correct, the ball rebounded off the player and hit is arm which was out of his control and totally unlucky.

Up to that point the CBs were dominating.

Harrison and Good were doing a great job.

Haven't seen a second angle but it looks like a definite penalty to me. And I'll blame him for trying a slide tackle in the box. Crazy.

8 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

There was another angle video replay that showed that he got the ball, but that the ball ricocheted off Berisha onto Delbridge's arm that was away from his body, supporting his weight as he slid along the ground. Under the new rules, that's a pen

What was irritating was that afaik there was no reason to give him a yellow seeing that the handball was unintentional.

I think the ref just got caught up in the moment. 

Just now, playmaker said:

What was irritating was that afaik there was no reason to give him a yellow seeing that the handball was unintentional.

I think the ref just got caught up in the moment. 

AFAIK the rules have changed this season to remove intent from the ref's consideration. Handball with arm away from trunk = foul

Would of been disgusted if we didn't take the 3 points, by far the better team and should of scored a fuck load, couldn't believe how many times we had a 2v2 on the counter with a standard victory jew cross waiting to be played from the wing 

apart from set pieces they created fuck all and just about any other chances were mental turnovers from us.
berisha looking at the away fans disgusted at the gypsy chant was fucking brilliant, quite a bit of city fans all across the ground too was nice.

club song is gay as fuck too 

• Like 1