Melbourne Football

Matchday 3: v Western United - Sun 27th Oct 6.00 pm at GMHBA Stadium

Baka1

9 hours ago, Imtellingyou said:

Suddenly we miss the best player - Florin. Do you guys know what you really want. 

Exactly. But in all fairness and despite his mediocre first season, I actually do think we are missing him at the moment. We just don't seem creative enough through the middle.

8 hours ago, rass said:

Exactly. But in all fairness and despite his mediocre first season, I actually do think we are missing him at the moment. We just don't seem creative enough through the middle.

missing creativity is the right analysis. People rave about Brillante but all I am seeing is Mitch Nicholls with a beard.

45 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

missing creativity is the right analysis. People rave about Brillante but all I am seeing is Mitch Nicholls with a beard.

But Brillante isn’t here for the creativity, surely we know what to expect from a defensive midfielder? There are 5 people in front of him who are assumed to be creative.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 5

39 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

Luna / the midfield, was mostly ignored for long diagonals to the wingers from our backs.

This was the reason for the lack of creativly built up goal scoring opportunities against Adelaide. When Jamo slides into midfield to overload the middle we have three at the back. This causes the defenders, including jamo to want to pump the ball over the top to the front three with diagonal balls. this helps them to feel they are alleviating the attacking threat and keep the ball away from our goals and supposedly deliver it to the attacking third. problem was that defenders are not the ball playing type players and just deliver the ball straight to adelaide (or who ever). the opposition see the weaked 3 at the back and play it forward to their wingers who can get in behind the depleted backline and are immediately on goal. If the the fullbacks played it through the middle, on the ground, we could keep possession and justify having the overloaded midfield, and get it to our 8/10's who can then setup the attackers into scoring opportunities. Luna/ Metcalfe/Brilliante, were left trying to recover the ball after failed long balls from the defenders and this is the reason that thet didnt look like they had enough ball to create anything at all. Adelaide new we would use this tactic because we displyed it to them in the sunday prior to FFA cup. IMHO we should have thrown that game in favour of winning the cup. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, citymad said:

This was the reason for the lack of creativly built up goal scoring opportunities against Adelaide. When Jamo slides into midfield to overload the middle we have three at the back. This causes the defenders, including jamo to want to pump the ball over the top to the front three with diagonal balls. this helps them to feel they are alleviating the attacking threat and keep the ball away from our goals and supposedly deliver it to the attacking third. problem was that defenders are not the ball playing type players and just deliver the ball straight to adelaide (or who ever). the opposition see the weaked 3 at the back and play it forward to their wingers who can get in behind the depleted backline and are immediately on goal. If the the fullbacks played it through the middle, on the ground, we could keep possession and justify having the overloaded midfield, and get it to our 8/10's who can then setup the attackers into scoring opportunities. Luna/ Metcalfe/Brilliante, were left trying to recover the ball after failed long balls from the defenders and this is the reason that thet didnt look like they had enough ball to create anything at all. Adelaide new we would use this tactic because we displyed it to them in the sunday prior to FFA cup. IMHO we should have thrown that game in favour of winning the cup. 

You have nailed it here with this explanation. Verbeek exploited our failed attacking thrusts through our wingbacks. Even with 60+ %possession we are vulnerable. Add in a keeper who loses concentration and the clean up work of Brillante is absolutely critical to us grabbing a clean sheet here and there.

From the World Game "the competition newcomers have four points from their first two games but with a significant proportion of their side over 30, will need to manage their older players throughout the year.Andrew Durante (37), Alessandro Diamanti (36), Scott McDonald (36), Besart Berisha (34), Dario Jertec (34) and Panagiotis Kone (32) and Ersan Gulum (32) have all been heavily involved early in the season"

IMO this is a chance to rest some starting XI players and give our bench players a run. I might be wrong but i think some fresh legs against the Dad's Army might be a good tactic to wear them out. Then Mombearts can bring on some regulars later in the game. I know we definitely need to win and still think we can by possibly doing this, but three games in a week or so might be too much and then we get in to strains and ligament soft tissue injury territory and that would be a disaster long term. Some will definitely disagree with me but I expect that. This will leave the starting eleven ready for Wellington game and CCM after that, so we can win three in a row. Three wins are a must to put the cup madness behind us I think. Any way just my thoughts. 

Edited by citymad

1 hour ago, citymad said:

From the World Game "the competition newcomers have four points from their first two games but with a significant proportion of their side over 30, will need to manage their older players throughout the year.Andrew Durante (37), Alessandro Diamanti (36), Scott McDonald (36), Besart Berisha (34), Dario Jertec (34) and Panagiotis Kone (32) and Ersan Gulum (32) have all been heavily involved early in the season"

IMO this is a chance to rest some starting XI players and give our bench players a run. I might be wrong but i think some fresh legs against the Dad's Army might be a good tactic to wear them out. Then Mombearts can bring on some regulars later in the game. I know we definitely need to win and still think we can by possibly doing this, but three games in a week or so might be too much and then we get in to strains and ligament soft tissue injury territory and that would be a disaster long term. Some will definitely disagree with me but I expect that. This will leave the starting eleven ready for Wellington game and CCM after that, so we can win three in a row. Three wins are a must to put the cup madness behind us I think. Any way just my thoughts. 

Resting players for such a short season and 1 game a week. If no injuries they should be good to play every week, that counts for us and Western United.

Edited by Mr MO

11 minutes ago, Red or Dead said:

Talking City on twitter yesterday said less than 500 tix sold, including our 250 - surely that can't be accurate...

They got 7k crowd last week (albeit with a lot of free tickets handed out), but there should be 10k-12k today!?!

I'd say it wouldn't include members/free tickets.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Red or Dead said:

Talking City on twitter yesterday said less than 500 tix sold, including our 250 - surely that can't be accurate...

They got 7k crowd last week (albeit with a lot of free tickets handed out), but there should be 10k-12k today!?!

TBH 6.00 p.m. on a Sunday is just such a shit of a time that anything could happen. I don't think a great deal of thought went into this season's fixture. IMO with lame-duck employees such as Gallop still hanging around at FFA, I feel that the whole League is just marking time this season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

TBH 6.00 p.m. on a Sunday is just such a shit of a time that anything could happen. I don't think a great deal of thought went into this season's fixture. IMO with lame-duck employees such as Gallop still hanging around at FFA, I feel that the whole League is just marking time this season.

Agree on the FFA and shit fixture...WUFC should've probably played the Victards before us too...but then again I'd have rather waited 3 years for a stadium in Dandenong with Team 11's matches at AAMI Park until it was built rather than going to Tarneit after 2 years in Geelong...anyway, I digress...

I do think it's funny how the WUFC CEO has already come out and blamed the weather for the low turnout of their first home game...reminded me of the Heart days where we'd make any excuse we could find to justify our low crowds, footy/cricket/tennis/basketball/concert across the road, it's too hot, it's too rainy, F1 or Moomba is on, buses replaced trains, parking was full, etc etc etc.

58 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

The real test now is any game where we concede the first goal, that was when we fell apart against Adelaide

I'd put that down to it being such a soft goal to concede when we'd looked comfortable until that point. I've played in games where the you're feeling comfortable and concede a soft goal and it destroys you mentally. Soon after Bouzanis stayed on his line when he should've collected a ball, it saps all confidence from the blokes in front when the keeper looks out of sorts.

1 hour ago, mus-28 said:

I'd put that down to it being such a soft goal to concede when we'd looked comfortable until that point. I've played in games where the you're feeling comfortable and concede a soft goal and it destroys you mentally. Soon after Bouzanis stayed on his line when he should've collected a ball, it saps all confidence from the blokes in front when the keeper looks out of sorts.

It sure was a soft goal

5 hours ago, Jovan said:

Whatever the number is, rain ,time whatever you can add 3. 

Unlike most I'm looking forward to it.

All I want is a reaction and a good performance. 

me too, perfect chance to make a big statement both on and off the pitch.

• Like 1