Melbourne Football

Season 19/20 Matchday Thread

Dylan

Berisha and McDonald are goal poachers, they're not continually making runs across the line for Diamante to slip balls through gaps for them to run onto and because they're playing wingbacks there's not a lot of opportunity for him to get the ball out wide quickly for the crosses the strikers would thrive on.

Their game plan has been found out pretty quickly and they don't have the quality in the squad to go to any system that uses wingers to change it up. The only wingers they have are Pain, Appiah-Kubi and Yuel, hardly s trio that'd strike fear into opposition defences. At Wellington Rudan had the pace of Krishna and Williams to be able to hit teams on the counter with two quick strikers usually 1v1 when they won the ball back, he definitely doesn't have that luxury this season

1 hour ago, mus-28 said:

Berisha and McDonald are goal poachers, they're not continually making runs across the line for Diamante to slip balls through gaps for them to run onto and because they're playing wingbacks there's not a lot of opportunity for him to get the ball out wide quickly for the crosses the strikers would thrive on.

Their game plan has been found out pretty quickly and they don't have the quality in the squad to go to any system that uses wingers to change it up. The only wingers they have are Pain, Appiah-Kubi and Yuel, hardly s trio that'd strike fear into opposition defences. At Wellington Rudan had the pace of Krishna and Williams to be able to hit teams on the counter with two quick strikers usually 1v1 when they won the ball back, he definitely doesn't have that luxury this season

Attendance 4,187. Only 6,200 in Adelaide. Don't think these Sunday timeslots are doing the league any good whatsoever.

Imagine playing in an AFL stadium in a city your team's not even meant to be based in, although nobody outside of A-League circles would even know since Western United is the vaguest club name in sporting history. 

I want to be supportive of their inclusion but they really shouldn't have been admitted until they had the Tarneit stadium built and ready to go because as things stand, it's already looking farcical. Talents as good as Diamanti and Kone are being wasted there with the club's complete non-marketing.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Overwhelmingly incompetent decisions by FFA surround the whole admission of WU. Just one club with no real home and no real name. FFA couldn't have got it more wrong if it had tried to.

💵 💵 💵

16 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Overwhelmingly incompetent decisions by FFA surround the whole admission of WU. Just one club with no real home and no real name. FFA couldn't have got it more wrong if it had tried to.

Compared to the next inclusion Macarthur which actually look like they might have untapped the next Wanderers... 

20 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Sounds like the kinds of things MV supporters said about us. Though I guess it is a bit more warranted in this case.

WU really should just become a geelong team.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 03/12/2019 at 1:16 PM, malloy said:

Sounds like the kinds of things MV supporters said about us. Though I guess it is a bit more warranted in this case.

WU really should just become a geelong team.

The sceptic in me thinks this was the plan all along. It was too weird that Horvat and his group were bidding as Victoria Patriots then they disappeared and re-emerged as West Melbourne Group once Fox were rumoured to want Melbourne and Sydney based bids. Their original bid was based on the same sort of stadium but based at Armstrong Creek south of Geelong.

https://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/sport/victoria-patriots-our-aleague-bid-reveals-plans-for-soccer-stadium/news-story/cbbdcc42447b5ed3dcc579997401e4ac

• Like 1

On 04/12/2019 at 3:11 PM, mus-28 said:

The sceptic in me thinks this was the plan all along. It was too weird that Horvat and his group were bidding as Victoria Patriots then they disappeared and re-emerged as West Melbourne Group once Fox were rumoured to want Melbourne and Sydney based bids. Their original bid was based on the same sort of stadium but based at Armstrong Creek south of Geelong.

https://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/sport/victoria-patriots-our-aleague-bid-reveals-plans-for-soccer-stadium/news-story/cbbdcc42447b5ed3dcc579997401e4ac

Almost wish they'd ended up being called the Patriots, I'd have zero problem hating a club that cringe and pretentious 😅

12 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Shall we just hand the title to Sydney already? 🙄

I don't think we're anywhere near Sydney. Every time they go forward they look likely to score - cutting through defences with pace and purpose. We are clumsy and laborious by comparison.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, citypool said:

I don’t care about rivalries it’s generally disappointing to see victory with such a poor crowd  

IMO 5.00 p.m on a Saturday is stupid scheduling. Especially when you're going up against the President's Cup - half of fucking Melbourne is clogging up the City of Bayside.

• 2 weeks later...