Melbourne Football

World Cup Qualifiers

Shahanga

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Got the win in Hanoi. Based on the “highlights” not a lot to write home about, but the points are important.

If we were in any doubt, qualification with the players at our disposal will be challenging.

I watched the full 90 and it was really dire from our perspective. Crap pitch, insane temp/humidity and the Vietnamese were honestly quite a tactically well set-up team.

That said, for our lack of flashy, creative types in the side, we've won our last 10 qualifiers and long gone seem the days of losing the unlosable games we did in the past. If anything, Arnold doesn't get enough praise considering how much he's managed to get out of what is a pretty average talent pool. 

AFC qualification has always been results over performance, but the real challenge is going to be taking that next step and winning with flair - otherwise we're not going to do anything upon reaching the World Cup and by that stage, what's the point in merely just qualifying?

• Like 1

Just my opinion - and probably unpopular - but I've hated the World Cup "finals" since South Africa, and I'd much prefer to see the tournament played home and away all the way through. Perhaps Regional first to narrow it down a bit and then thrown open across the world. I reckon a cleaner and more exciting tournament especially for the "less-powerful" countries.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Just my opinion - and probably unpopular - but I've hated the World Cup "finals" since South Africa, and I'd much prefer to see the tournament played home and away all the way through. Perhaps Regional first to narrow it down a bit and then thrown open across the world. I reckon a cleaner and more exciting tournament especially for the "less-powerful" countries.

That makes it a logistical nightmare though and effectively destroys the carnival-like format which I think is the World Cup's greatest strength - bringing countries and supporters from all over the world together for one month, unified by the game we all love so much.

I think we can put an end to the one-host country per tournament mantra at least though. Less white elephants, less economic pressure and a chance to represent more countries on the world stage. 

• 5 weeks later...

Why doesn't Mooy start? Is he not up to it anymore??? Seemed not long ago he was getting BOG in the Premier league all of a sudden he's coming off the bench for the Socceroos? Is he not appreciated cos he plays in China now? Does he have to end up back in the a league for people to remember how good he was?

7 minutes ago, DukeVader said:

Why doesn't Mooy start? Is he not up to it anymore??? Seemed not long ago he was getting BOG in the Premier league all of a sudden he's coming off the bench for the Socceroos? Is he not appreciated cos he plays in China now? Does he have to end up back in the a league for people to remember how good he was?

He looked a little off the pace for the first 5 minutes he was on but soon settled into that nice passing rhythm we all know and love. I guess it just comes down to fitness and minutes, something that Irvine, Hrustic and Rogic all have him covered for at the moment. That said, Mooy did more coming off the bench than Rogic did the entire game. Few frustrate like Rogic - his best is elite, but how often do we ever see it??

As for the Socceroos themselves though, what a win. Oman looked stylish as all hell out there first half and on the balance of play probably deserved more, but Arnold has us grinding out win after win at the moment, irrespective of the performance. Obviously an under-sieged Japan will be an enormous test and might tell us more about where we're at than any other game we've played throughout the past couple of years, but 11 straight is 11 straight. Arnold is the right man for this national team.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Nate said:

He looked a little off the pace for the first 5 minutes he was on but soon settled into that nice passing rhythm we all know and love. I guess it just comes down to fitness and minutes, something that Irvine, Hrustic and Rogic all have him covered for at the moment. That said, Mooy did more coming off the bench than Rogic did the entire game. Few frustrate like Rogic - his best is elite, but how often do we ever see it??

As for the Socceroos themselves though, what a win. Oman looked stylish as all hell out there first half and on the balance of play probably deserved more, but Arnold has us grinding out win after win at the moment, irrespective of the performance. Obviously an under-sieged Japan will be an enormous test and might tell us more about where we're at than any other game we've played throughout the past couple of years, but 11 straight is 11 straight. Arnold is the right man for this national team.

I haven't watched the game yet, might put it on sometime this weekend.. maybe I'm biased because I rated him so much here, but I'd still start him over those 3 underdone. But as you said Arnies won 11 from 11, so he must be doing something right 

Edited by DukeVader

Ryan was the sole reason we didn't lose by 3 or 4 tbh. 

Aziz was dreadful, but Sainsbury and Souttar weren't far behind him. Defensively terrible, while the mids were okay but couldn't get the ball out wide often enough due to the insane Japanese press. 

And just like that, we go from cruising in the group to suddenly finding ourselves with a must-win clash against the Saudis. Crazy.

5 hours ago, Nate said:

Aziz was dreadful, but Sainsbury and Souttar weren't far behind him. Defensively terrible, while the mids were okay but couldn't get the ball out wide often enough due to the insane Japanese press. 

And just like that, we go from cruising in the group to suddenly finding ourselves with a must-win clash against the Saudis. Crazy.

Japan is currently at a higher level than us. Most of their players are playing in the big leagues most of ours are predominantly at a level lower. Playing in Japan is ridiculously hard never going to win. At 1:1 was a dream, but really losing 2:1 a fair result. 

We are in an amazing position in the group and with hopefully some games actually at home we should finish top 2 and qualify. 

But overall currently our players are just not good enough but have been playing above themselves and that's credit to the coach. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nate said:

You had overestimated our position pre-game. We’d won 3 with 7 games to play, ok good start, but long way to go and we’d played the 3 weakest teams in our group.

Our lads are well coached and they try hard but they lack polish, so it will be hard work all the way.

For me was the midfield, was dominated. As we try to play out from the back that 1st ball into the midfield 9 times out of 10 came straight back to the defender. 

The midfielder rarely was able to half turn and send a forward pass. The time we looked better was when that was achieved. 

I'm not suggesting play long diagnals from the back but the receiving midfielder must do better and work harder to get into a better position to make that half turn easier. 

Maybe a fully match fit Mooy could have been the difference,  but Irvine and Rogic and Hrustic for me don't have that skillset.

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

Maybe a fully match fit Mooy could have been the difference,  but Irvine and Rogic and Hrustic for me don't have that skillset.

At the very least, Hrustic is definitely one to persevere with given his age and the fact he's been getting minutes in the Bundesliga, not to mention his above-average national team form. 

I thought Rogic was okay but let himself down with his shooting, while Irvine is obviously not a holding mid and it showed. 

I'm eager to see Arnie tinker with some of the squad next game as we have some really strong foundations, it just seems like more of a personnel issue and a lack of creativity on the pitch at the moment that's hurting us. 

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

You had overestimated our position pre-game. We’d won 3 with 7 games to play, ok good start, but long way to go and we’d played the 3 weakest teams in our group.

Our lads are well coached and they try hard but they lack polish, so it will be hard work all the way.

Sorry, it was definitely meant as more of a sweeping statement as to how quickly things can change in football. The mood pre-game was very much one that painted Japan on the brink, yet 90 minutes later they're a direct threat to qualification again and everything is doom and gloom for us/Arnie apparently sucks etc. 

AFC qualifying is always such a beast of a tournament and losing to Japan away was never going to be the difference in the end. If nothing else though, it has ramped up the pressure on us to beat the Saudis at home. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nate said:

At the very least, Hrustic is definitely one to persevere with given his age and the fact he's been getting minutes in the Bundesliga, not to mention his above-average national team form. 

I thought Rogic was okay but let himself down with his shooting, while Irvine is obviously not a holding mid and it showed. 

I'm eager to see Arnie tinker with some of the squad next game as we have some really strong foundations, it just seems like more of a personnel issue and a lack of creativity on the pitch at the moment that's hurting us. 

Sorry, it was definitely meant as more of a sweeping statement as to how quickly things can change in football. The mood pre-game was very much one that painted Japan on the brink, yet 90 minutes later they're a direct threat to qualification again and everything is doom and gloom for us/Arnie apparently sucks etc. 

AFC qualifying is always such a beast of a tournament and losing to Japan away was never going to be the difference in the end. If nothing else though, it has ramped up the pressure on us to beat the Saudis at home. 

Agree with Arnie needing to tinker with midfield. Rogic and Mooy and Hrustic in the same team is interesting but we desperately need a beast at #6. Maybe Brillante. 

4 hours ago, Jovan said:

Japan is currently at a higher level than us. Most of their players are playing in the big leagues most of ours are predominantly at a level lower. Playing in Japan is ridiculously hard never going to win. At 1:1 was a dream, but really losing 2:1 a fair result. 

We are in an amazing position in the group and with hopefully some games actually at home we should finish top 2 and qualify. 

But overall currently our players are just not good enough but have been playing above themselves and that's credit to the coach. 

This, if we beat the Saudi's we'll be top of the group at the halfway mark with a game and goal difference between us and the playoffs - potentially more if the Japanese drop points to either Oman or Vietnam away

• Like 1

Really disappointed with last night. Defensively all over the place. Passing out of midfield was lazy at best - far too many cheap turnovers. 

I'm done with Rogic. Might be OK against shitter sides, just so inconsistent. 

Agree with other comments, we lack a hard nut in midfield now Jedinak is gone. 

And Arnold can go fuck himself. Saw some of the post game press conference. No way was it entertaining or did we even look to put them on the back foot. Complete bullshit. 

Main two positives are the Hrustic pearler and Japan look very average. Qualifying could be more about how many points they drop. 

On 14/10/2021 at 5:23 PM, DukeVader said:

Would have been interesting to see Nabbout on the wing instead of Karacic.. He could have bodied them easily. Even throw Leckie in their and macca off the bench in the second half... Would have been handy inclusions at 1-1.. 

not going to happen whilst we are in a Covid 19 prison. Signs are the prison gates are opening in NSW, so next year it could be possible I guess.

Edited by Shahanga

On 14/10/2021 at 5:23 PM, DukeVader said:

Would have been interesting to see Nabbout on the wing instead of Karacic.. He could have bodied them easily. Even throw Leckie in their and macca off the bench in the second half... Would have been handy inclusions at 1-1.. 

Wasn't Nabbout injured? Is he back in training?

12 hours ago, Shahanga said:

not going to happen whilst we are in a Covid 19 prison. Signs are the prison gates are opening in NSW, so next year it could be possible I guess.

Didn't I read that both JMac and Good had said they weren't available to play overseas until the quarantine rules were relaxed?

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Didn't I read that both JMac and Good had said they weren't available to play overseas until the quarantine rules were relaxed?

Yes they did. I think Leckie said the same.. just a bit weird the lads would miss a whole finals series to play Vietnam lol but wouldn't leave pre season training to play an important game like Japan away. I guess they are just over the lockdowns and quarantines like everyone else

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Need to direct more play down Boyles wing for mine. Mabil’s struggling with his man but Boyle looks dangerous.

they did say on the broadcast that Mabil hasnt started a game for his club since August so could be form.

it's also what happens when you play an inverted winger.  you just know they are always cutting in.

3 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

I'd it just me, or is the ref letting people get away with some pretty dodgy shit

not just you.  and it has been going both ways so cant really complain.

• Like 1