Melbourne Football

Scott Munn

LR9

Ffs if you think Munn's head should roll cos of the position we are in you are delusional.

Interested to know your thoughts, as CEO what he has brought the past 4 years?

Is this club reaching the full potential?

Are we a significant landmark in this city?

Is our membership doing well?

Crowds?

Facilities?

identity?

Engagement?

What exactly is it, other than shouting the bar a couple of times has he shown just how good he is as CEO?

The buck has got to stop somewhere. Is it Munn or the board that should depart for us to become better? Both? If none of them why?

Interested to know yours and others thoughts good and bad. Our club is in a dire position, it's someone's fault and someone other than the manager (who didn't hire himself) has got to cop criticism.

When I raised this on here a year or so ago (IIRC) I was jumped on pretty smartly. But sometimes the best person to start up an organization is not necessarily the best one to take it forward after the initial stages.

However, I'd say at this point it's the on-field results that are the main issue holding the club back, and SM cannot be held accountable for those.

There was an interesting comment on SEN after the game from someone claiming that there is s rift at the club between SM and JA

It's not public (naturally) but if there is any substance to it I think it would be closely related to what Malloy said

SM-" I fkn bust my balls to grow this club with publicity and marketing while you Johnny undermine it all with on field performance, not happy Jan!!"

Ffs if you think Munn's head should roll cos of the position we are in you are delusional.

Crowds?

Facilities?

identity?

Engagement?

What exactly is it, other than shouting the bar a couple of times has he shown just how good he is as CEO?

The buck has got to stop somewhere. Is it Munn or the board that should depart for us to become better? Both? If none of them why?

Interested to know yours and others thoughts good and bad. Our club is in a dire position, it's someone's fault and someone other than the manager (who didn't hire himself) has got to cop criticism.

I think our dire situation comes down to the football department. Everything you demanded of the club to do off the pitch at the end of the season they have delivered on. The recruiting the membership drive advertising everywhere? If we were actually any good we would be getting 10k+ crowds easily and in which case we would all be singing the clubs praises. I admit that some blame lies with the board for appointing JA and more blame should be heaped on them if our form continues and they don't act before Christmas (I think they should act long before then, but that is for another thread). Im not 100% certain on this, but isn't the board made up of owners or puppets of owners? Removing the board isn't really going to change much.....

As I said in the other thread the club have been outstanding off the pitch they listened to what the supporters asked of them at the fan forum. I believe the only place we are being majorly let down by the club is on the pitch, which you cannot blame Munn for.

Thanks for the well written post with good explanations.

I think something needs change. I think it's easy to say it's only our on field performances. Granted success would of helped bring in more people through the gate I think it stems from the top in terms of decisions made that can filter through and mean on field success.

It was year two. The start of it and we wanted to have a redevelopment to have elite training venue. Still not even close to happening. Last year's mess was a lack of funding and shocking decisions. We had non experiences coaching staff and a guy who would Skype.

The beginning of the club, before it was even a club, when it was a syndicate there were promises made about what this club would stand for. It only took two years for it all to fly out of the Window. Now what do we stand for and represent?

I like Munn he really is a top chap, I don't know if it's him that needs to go or the board making idiotic decisions and not letting him express himself to his full capabilities but mate, I want answers. More than that I want change.

The club is mediocre. It's become a laughing stock. Whoever is responsible I want out. Where is Melbourne in wanting this club around? For all the power and might of Victory 23,000 members is not the majority population. Where is everyone?

If it is the ownership well that's a whole different matter and a big issue. I sense it would take a miracle to keep our club but have more ambitious owners.

Crowds?

Facilities?

identity?

Engagement?

I think our dire situation comes down to the football department. Everything you demanded of the club to do off the pitch at the end of the season they have delivered on. The recruiting the membership drive advertising everywhere? If we were actually any good we would be getting 10k+ crowds easily and in which case we would all be singing the clubs praises. I admit that some blame lies with the board for appointing JA and more blame should be heaped on them if our form continues and they don't act before Christmas (I think they should act long before then, but that is for another thread). Im not 100% certain on this, but isn't the board made up of owners or puppets of owners? Removing the board isn't really going to change much.....

As I said in the other thread the club have been outstanding off the pitch they listened to what the supporters asked of them at the fan forum. I believe the only place we are being majorly let down by the club is on the pitch, which you cannot blame Munn for. 

Agree, we can't tell the Board to fuck off though as they are owners of the franchise and have invested their own money in it (unlike us, we only buy season tickets). The problem is that we are capitalised to the minimum requirements whereas a team like WSW was established with FFA money, was given extra player concessions and will be sold as a fully-functioning going concern. I think that if you compare the two clubs, the FFA funded startup is the way to go rather than the poverty model that we have adopted.

Embrace the poverty. It'll be all the more sweeter once we emerge from this dark hole we're in at the moment.

Also, Munn is more than capable, and the club has actually listened to us in terms of almost everything suggested in the off season. We can't influence football decisions obviously, although I'd be up for getting to a JA pressed and demanding the shirt off his back. He clearly isn't fit to wear the colors right now ;)

• Like 1

Don't really know why we are talking about sacking SM. JA definitely needs to go, which has been obvious for a year, and JD probably should go too, but I'm not too concerned if he is given one last chance to turn the football department around with a new manager. Now while I wouldn't say SM is completely blame free from the football department problems, because he is the CEO and therefore accountable to an extent for failure in any department of our club, or that we couldn't do better in other areas such as marketing, but given the limited resources at his disposal, I really don't think he does a bad job at all, and I don't think we could get a better CEO in terms of working with the fans.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

If the Board appointed the coach then Munn is not responsible for that decision. The Board own the club so they are certainly seeing the consequences of their decisions. If they do replace him there's only a point if it is with a good experienced coach as has been suggested here several times. It took AU and MV a while to work that one out

When someone is on a salary of $250K per year then he must be responsible for something other than just connecting with the fans.

Our membership is static now for 4 years and our on field performances have gone backwards.

6 goals scored in our last 14 games against A-League opposition teams, which includes pre season. Not a single win in those 14 games either.....must be another proud record we have!!!

In those 14 games we failed to put the ball in the net for 10 of those games. We scored more than one goal in only 1 of those 4 games.

Is the coach to blame or is it bad luck again?

Who recruits the players?....someone has to be responsible yet they are all made of Teflon down at Heart HQ.

Sometimes I get the feeling that Scott is lied to quite often. Perhaps not lied, more just misinformed or mislead.

There is at least 1 position I feel should be turned over outside the Football department and it is certainly NOT Scott Munn.

There has been a domino effect of fuckups stretching back a couple of years now, and they are really starting to drive me completely mental! And I am not talking about anything on the field related at all.

I highly doubt anyone is going to lose their jobs anytime soon, and to be fair, I tread lightly when talking about such matters because it is easy to forget that these are people with lives and families to feed as well, but I do feel that there should be some significant "performance evaluating" going on behind closed doors, and perhaps with some of the results of these evaluations, there may be 1 or 2 people who should be looking to move on.

Anyone else who wants to call for Scott's sacking, come see me first, I will gladly explain to you the amount that man has done for ALL of us and you will very quickly want to buy him a beer.

• Like 2

Things need to change very quickly or the crowds will drop off very quickly. Where a new club and a big win against Sydney must happen.

Lose to Sydney & it's curtains for someone.

Even if we beat Sydney but then put in another woeful and uninspiring Away performance against Newcastle, it should be curtains for that 'someone' then!

But here's to being optimistic and turning a corner this week; first, we'll beat ADP FC, then we'll take that confidence into the Newcastle game and fall 1 game short of equalling New Zealand Knights' dismal away record.

Sometimes I get the feeling that Scott is lied to quite often. Perhaps not lied, more just misinformed or mislead.

There is at least 1 position I feel should be turned over outside the Football department and it is certainly NOT Scott Munn.

There has been a domino effect of fuckups stretching back a couple of years now, and they are really starting to drive me completely mental! And I am not talking about anything on the field related at all.

I highly doubt anyone is going to lose their jobs anytime soon, and to be fair, I tread lightly when talking about such matters because it is easy to forget that these are people with lives and families to feed as well, but I do feel that there should be some significant "performance evaluating" going on behind closed doors, and perhaps with some of the results of these evaluations, there may be 1 or 2 people who should be looking to move on.

Anyone else who wants to call for Scott's sacking, come see me first, I will gladly explain to you the amount that man has done for ALL of us and you will very quickly want to buy him a beer.

I am saying this genuinely because I am interested to know, what has he done above and beyond his role as CEO? And do you think he should be held responsible to a certain degree for the situation we are in right now?

I am saying this genuinely because I am interested to know, what has he done above and beyond his role as CEO? And do you think he should be held responsible to a certain degree for the situation we are in right now?

Well for one Scott Munn is due some credit for the fact Our Terrace has rights and is/and has always been currently Active.

You can not say the same for the Boys across town who envy the realtionship MH Active Fans have with their club.

Edited by cadete

Also there four years of existence we haven’t set the world on fire with our performances yet still managed to make a profit last year/break even. We are arguably in the hardest situation to succeed with members and fans, Victory had a 5 year head start, it was even written in their contract they took to the FFA that for 5 years another Melbourne team could not co-exist with them and Melbourne is flooded with sport as it is. 

Yet after all that there is never any whiff of financial trouble at the club or that its poorly run, besides the hysteria you get on here occasionally. Scott Munn is doing a good job. People who say otherwise, and are just blaming him for the on field performances are just looking for a scapegoat. 

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

Also there four years of existence we haven’t set the world on fire with our performances yet still managed to make a profit last year/break even. We are arguably in the hardest situation to succeed with members and fans, Victory had a 5 year head start, it was even written in their contract they took to the FFA that for 5 years another Melbourne team could not co-exist with them and Melbourne is flooded with sport as it is. 

Yet after all that there is never any whiff of financial trouble at the club or that its poorly run, besides the hysteria you get on here occasionally. Scott Munn is doing a good job. People who say otherwise, and are just blaming him for the on field performances are just looking for a scapegoat. 

Dylan, you are right as far as the business model goes. Are we here primarily to make a profit or to win football games? We may argue about the former but only our club seems to accept that the second of these objectives is optional.

I'm not going to go into detail because I feel no need to due to my opinions being based on tangible contact and everyday reality.

1)If you think Scott Munn needs to get the sack for our onfield perfomances you are laughably misguided.

2)If you think Scott Munn is not the best CEO/Club official in the League when it comes to dealing with fans, ESPECIALLY active fans, you know nothing about this club or the league.

PS if you are an Active fan, take it from me, you owe the bloke a beer or three.

Source: reality

Yeah that's all well and good, us fans who don't have that ongoing contact with club management are entitled to question him but considering our current position. And I guess that is why I asked the question initially was whether he should be sacked/resign. But hearing many supporters back him heavily, especially considering our position speaks volumes. 

And coming from a fan who isn't overly heavily involved with the club apart from spending time on here and attending home matches it is very good and refreshing to hear that Scotty does share a good relationship with the fans and does know what he is doing, especially with active support after having seen the impact it has had on the visitors. 

Dylan, you are right as far as the business model goes. Are we here primarily to make a profit or to win football games? We may argue about the former but only our club seems to accept that the second of these objectives is optional.

Surely it's not as simple as that? CCM were still winning games and yet their players weren't being paid on time. Breaking even is not by itself a valid business objective; you can "break even" by having no business at all. A successful business is one that sustains itself financially and also produces a product. Surely the objective of a football club is to be successful both financially and on the field?

• Like 1

Surely it's not as simple as that? CCM were still winning games and yet their players weren't being paid on time. Breaking even is not by itself a valid business objective; you can "break even" by having no business at all. A successful business is one that sustains itself financially and also produces a product. Surely the objective of a football club is to be successful both financially and on the field?

My post was only to point out that what Scott Munn is responsible for at the club has been good work. On field stuff is JA and JD's domain and I was poiting out that people keep going on wanting Munn  to be sacked when in fact what he is doing at the club is good work given the on field circumstances. 

• Like 1

My post was only to point out that what Scott Munn is responsible for at the club has been good work. On field stuff is JA and JD's domain and I was poiting out that people keep going on wanting Munn  to be sacked when in fact what he is doing at the club is good work given the on field circumstances. 

Dylan, I didn't mean to imply that you were wrong at all. I'm sure that your "separation of responsibilities" is quite correct. I was responding to Bela's post, because I think he's being too simplistic about it.

When someone is on a salary of $250K per year then he must be responsible for something other than just connecting with the fans.

Yes, a CEO is responsible for carrying out the strategy set by the Board, and is responsible for reporting on that strategy to the Board. In this case the Board members aren't elected, they are the actual franchise owners so its their money, their decisions, their responsibility if Scott Munn is efficiently carrying out the Board's instructions.

I'm agreeing with you! As in my post above this one, the CEO is responsible to the Board, without knowing the Board's instructions we don't know if Scott Munn has exceeded them or failed to meet them. It is the Board that is responsible for the direction of the franchise, not the CEO so last season when they prioritised profitability over on-field performance and also accepted JA's appointment as coach it is their responsibility. The CEO has to act within those parameters.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
"Mr Munt"....hahahaha
Why the hell did our CEO tweet shit like this? 
Nice come back, George.

Munn: "@gcalombaris thought you would like this. pic.twitter.com/9PkxxhW2zn"

Calombaris: "@scott_munn mr munt. Pipe down douch bag. Worry about your back yard. 1 win and you your a mouth. Can't wait to meet u. GC"

Munn:  @gcalombaris in some cultures 5 is a lucky number

Calombaris: @scott_munn can't believe ur a CEO of a club and u take the piss out of another. Fish rots from the head down. GC