Melbourne Football

MHFC Fan Forum - May 24 2012 @ La Trobe Uni (Confirmed by Club Email)

LR9

can anyone confirm, bolton or grella?

i can confirm both

BWAHHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAAHAHHAHAHA.

But I guess on the interwebs Guessing right on a penalty= Great 'keeper. Have a GOOD look at the goals he conceded. Have a look at his keeping on corners or crosses. Have a look at his inability to organise his defenders and communicate with them. Have a look at his lateness at coming off the line. Watch the first derby from last season and compare Covic to Bolton. Covic pulled off about half a dozen saves that would have had Bolton picking up the net. Bolton was a clown. A disaster waiting to happen.

Just becuase our reserve was worse doesn't make Bolton good.

He will be the laughing stock of the league if he's the number 1 keeper next season.

CONTENT REMOVED

PERSONAL ATTACK

Edited by Braveheart
  • Like 1

I assume they think it's a good way of getting people interested, but the club are pretty much just trolling their supporters with these "major announcements".

Yes. Trying to stay positive but TBH getting a bit pissed off with the approach being taken. I know a 'major announcement' when I hear one, and I can't recall any of Heart's 'major announcements' being in that category.

So Heart HQ, please stop patronising your supporters. Don't know who's advising you to adopt this approach, but it isn't working.

• Like 2

Bolton has signed

More than 50% chance of Babalj leaving

No offer from Newcastle for Good

Club has some great plans for improving the facilities at latrobe and moving NYL and W-league games there, if the government funding is received. If not the club will leave latrobe for better facilities.

W-League team in 2013/2014

THe description of the attacking midfielder they want to sign sounds exactly like Hernandez

Sidwell couldnt make it because he was in Greece taking care of business to do with some of his other ventures (seems legit)

Signing of any Greek players brought up and the way it was responded too didnt seem like we were making any moves for any, but the above point holds more weight IMO that we might be.

Cant think of more off the top of my head

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

Bolton has signed

Club has some great plans for improving the facilities at latrobe and moving NYL and W-league games there

THe description of the attacking midfielder they want to sign sounds exactly like Hernandez

Sidwell couldnt make it because he was in Greece taking care of business to do with some of his other ventures (seems legit)

So no Grella?

Bolton has signed

Club has some great plans for improving the facilities at latrobe and moving NYL and W-league games there

Grella signing.

just adding to your pretty much perfect list of major things said

Yes. Trying to stay positive but TBH getting a bit pissed off with the approach being taken. I know a 'major announcement' when I hear one, and I can't recall any of Heart's 'major announcements' being in that category.

So Heart HQ, please stop patronising your supporters. Don't know who's advising you to adopt this approach, but it isn't working.

I'm with you 100%.

If that is the major announcement, it's a bloody joke.

I was there and was no mention of Grella, looks like we got a bright future IMO and we are going to be very smart about our transfers this season. JD said that Greek players are still commanding 1 mil (net) wage demands even with their economy the way it is ! We need 9k supporters to break even this season and when we do break even the club will let supporters buy into the club (packages starting at $500). New facility's look good, lakeside stadium was looked at by the club to host Wellington and other low turn out games but because of the lighting, recording towers and other things it's not possible.

No mention of grella.

The communication from Newcastle has been poor so they're quite confident good will stay as there hasn't been an official offer.

Eli's offer is legit, SM said there's above 50% chance he will leave and they won't stand in any young players way to go overseas.

JD pretty much backs the club to pick up young gems to get the club moving forward, pretty much ruled out a big player coming unless they're the right fit and under the philosophy.

A lot of talk about membership and growing that, but no real plan was outlined which was disappointing, but gotta reach 9000 to break even.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

No mention of Grella. Well suppose it was funny for some on here to mention him. Small things, small minds etc.

Thing that worries me is the no plan to increase member/supporters. I haven't heard any viable plan from the club in growing its membership and fan base. This worries me and all the people got tonight was two officials talking and preaching about the club. Of course most will have a spring in their step as they feel privileged to hear from these two in an intimate setting, but from what I have read from the transcript is just preaching.

No big name signing? Yep, that'll draw the crowd in Scott and John. Hmmmm.

Where are our balls in ringing Newcastle United and saying "hey, we had a player trial with you, is he in or out cause we have to sort our shit out and can't wait for you, either make an offer or stfu". No we'd rather sit on our hands and then complain about communication.

I think our club lacks balls.

Unfortunately of course JD backs the club in finding young talent. With our financial situation and inability to find any fans, combined with our lack of balls, we can only try and recruit youngsters under the prefix that this is our philosophy. Fact is we have under performed since our inception on and off the field and things do not look like they are improving.

The club will struggle to get to 9,000 members. Shit they would be lucky to average that attendance (without the inflated derby crowd numbers).

Also for the guy who was tweeting from the fan forum and announced a "Major announcement" LOL. Shithouse PR. This will smack our club back in the face when the rest of the country goes...what? That's it? Gee that Heart is a joke. They are already doing it now on FFT.

Club needs to improve in every facet, starting with the way the club is run.

• Like 2

Grella signing.

Sibon apparently keen to return is if we lose Babalj to Red Star.

2 home derbies next year confirmed.

oh and Grella has been signed on a 4 year deal. $800k per season + 5% of gate receipts from home games. Will also be featured in A-League marketing and has a separate payment from FFA which is undisclosed.

Kents.

No big name signing? Yep, that'll draw the crowd in Scott and John. Hmmmm.

It was mentioned a few times that they had researched it and found that big name signings in this league dont bring out the crowds.

It was mentioned a few times that they had researched it and found that big name signings in this league dont bring out the crowds.

So they have researched that in that particular marketplace when we are competing with the biggest team in the league supporter wise, that big signings don't work?

I apologise to them then, didn't think Melbourne getting a big signing wouldn't work. After all, isn't Melbourne mad sporting fans? Wouldn't they come out in numbers for a big name?

Think they have got this terribly wrong.

So they have researched that in that particular marketplace when we are competing with the biggest team in the league supporter wise, that big signings don't work?

I apologise to them then, didn't think Melbourne getting a big signing wouldn't work. After all, isn't Melbourne mad sporting fans? Wouldn't they come out in numbers for a big name?

Fowler, Kewell, York etc all drew initial crowds but they dropped off quickly once the novelty wore off. All Victory made no ground on membership/gate takings last year etc.

• Like 2

Only bad news so far imo.

To be fair mate, the club needs the 2 derbies to help prop the club up.

Club just isn't sustainable without the money generated from the derbies.

I'm not happy about it, but if it helps the club break even then what can you do.

Edited by FB.
  • Like 1

Your opinion, based on speculation, vs actual research done by those whose job it is to make these decisions and who are accountable if they decide incorrectly.

Hmm, which holds more weight?

Yes, winning will get the crowds in as scott munn said, but to be fair we could go the whole season unbeaten and win the league without a big name and we would get around 10k people to our home games. I agree that there's no point just signing a big name who is finished as a player and can barely move, but if they are wise and sign a big name player who fits into the team structure, style of play and is exactly the type of player they are looking for then why not?

If they were so interested in not signing someone who wasn't a 'big name' and concentrated more on ability, we would have had Milicic as manager right now and Aloisi as his assistant. A big name provides the club with publicity and puts us the spotlight. There is ALWAYS going to be bigger crowds when the team is winning WITH a big name player firing, than when a team is just winning without any 'big names'. Perhaps they didn't do enough research, and needed to see the crowd figures when a team HAS a 'big name' AND is winning matches (sydney in season 1 with dwight yorke).

• Like 1

Your opinion, based on speculation, vs actual research done by those whose job it is to make these decisions and who are accountable if they decide incorrectly.

Hmm, which holds more weight?

That is fair enough, and I am open to critic too on here if they achieve what they do. I hope they do as all I want is the best for the club I support.

So far though, both have failed in their goals.

Massive mountain now for them to climb to achieve what they want. I am in their corner and hoping to be ridiculed when proven wrong. I just think, getting a big name through the door, will create a buzz in Melbourne and not just the derby but the rivalry between the two clubs in the sporting capital will get the Heart some significance. Im not going to sugar coat it, but right now, we have minimal significance in the Sporting landscape.

Great post Dynamo.

When Victory signed Kewell they were already well established in the sporting market. We however, are pretty much unknown. If we sign a Charisteas or a Bresciano we can really get the clubs face out there and even if the numbers turn out early and then dwindle off later, the chances are we'll have more fans than what we started with. Having a red hot go at a media campaign, getting on FTA tv, ethnic newspapers, the radio, internet, everywhere won't do any damage either.

As the saying goes, throw enough mud at the wall and some of it will stick.

Edited by NoMorePineapple
  • Like 1

Seems pretty simple actually. But let the experts decide what is best for the club. I sure as hope they know what they are doing.

Missing your targets of 9,000 members and only getting 6,700. Well, most people would be sacked after that type of return in the business world.

I would like the club to announce the plans in getting to the target number of members and attendance, rather than just sprout that they want to get there. Fan Forums are nice, but they are used as a selling tactic to make supporters feel more important and involved in the club and enhance positivity. Not saying lies are told, but they tell you what they want. Happens in all sports around the whole world.

Marketing is great, but what is the difference and capture they will use from this season? What can they market that will get an average Melbourne person to watch an ad and go, you know what, I want to support them and go to a game of the Heart? John Aloisi? So far that is the point of difference and it ain't a great one.

Signing a big name that will get every person look sideways at least would be a great start to the process in capturing an identity and the spectators. Work on getting them to become supporters, then members.

I dare say if we fail in getting to our targets, Scott Munn will be in massive trouble. In all honesty he sounds like a great bloke, but if he fails, he should rightfully be looked at. Sporting capital of the world to not be able to get 9,000 members would be quite poor.

As I said let's get Operation 12,000 to help save Scotty! :D;)

Missing your targets of 9,000 members and only getting 6,700. Well, most people would be sacked after that type of return in the business world.

I think there's some confusion about this. Last year's target was 7,500. Next year's is 9,000. And it's not accurate to say they have no plans to reach it. They're looking at being more focused on who they're targeting - fans on their database for example - instead of just putting membership ads out there and hoping for a response. And they're working on a new membership campaign. There was also talk of a better member get member offer this time. But quite rightly, the main way to attract fans and members is to win - especially at home.

It was a good night and the people complaining seem to be getting their information from tweets and bullshit posts. Sorry if the lack of major announcements has disappointed people, but I'm confident the club is being run by good people. I've got no idea who the club will recruit, or if they're going to recruit a big name or not. The forum wasn't about discussing signings apart from the type of players were looking to recruit - an experienced defender, defensive mid, and a couple of attacking players/strikers. But I get the impression that JD is being very thorough in looking at a whole range of possibilities to fill those positions.

My only area of concern remains coaching. They obviously expected and wanted Milicic to stay and there wont be an announcement on an assistant for at least 3 or 4 weeks while they look at options. They will be looking for an experienced senior assistant. They seem to always emphasise how it was a close decision between Aloisi and Milicic - which makes me suspect Aloisi's marketability gave him the edge. From the outside, the main point of difference between the two was Milicic's relative experience and Aloisi's relative 'big name'. There was nothing offered about what qualities stood out to make Aloisi the right chioce. I would've liked a stronger statement on why they believe Aloisi will be the right man. But I guess time will tell.

Whatever else is said the unveiling of Bolton as some kind of big signing is embarrassing. I hate bullshit marketing that treats us like idiots.

I must say that right now today is the lowest ebb I have ever felt for the future of this club. I have never missed a home game and I have no plans to miss one in the future but they need to get their shit together. Do they realise this is war? That 9000 members this year is probably a bigger challenge than winning the league?

I think there's some confusion about this. Last year's target was 7,500. Next year's is 9,000. And it's not accurate to say they have no plans to reach it. They're looking at being more focused on who they're targeting - fans on their database for example - instead of just putting membership ads out there and hoping for a response. And they're working on a new membership campaign. There was also talk of a better member get member offer this time. But quite rightly, the main way to attract fans and members is to win - especially at home.

It was a good night and the people complaining seem to be getting their information from tweets and bullshit posts. Sorry if the lack of major announcements has disappointed people, but I'm confident the club is being run by good people. I've got no idea who the club will recruit, or if they're going to recruit a big name or not. The forum wasn't about discussing signings apart from the type of players were looking to recruit - an experienced defender, defensive mid, and a couple of attacking players/strikers. But I get the impression that JD is being very thorough in looking at a whole range of possibilities to fill those positions.

My only area of concern remains coaching. They obviously expected and wanted Milicic to stay and there wont be an announcement on an assistant for at least 3 or 4 weeks while they look at options. They will be looking for an experienced senior assistant. They seem to always emphasise how it was a close decision between Aloisi and Milicic - which makes me suspect Aloisi's marketability gave him the edge. From the outside, the main point of difference between the two was Milicic's relative experience and Aloisi's relative 'big name'. There was nothing offered about what qualities stood out to make Aloisi the right chioce. I would've liked a stronger statement on why they believe Aloisi will be the right man. But I guess time will tell.

Thanks for the report Sash. Just a couple of comments. The confusion could possibly have been avoided by having an 'official' twitter feed from the Forum? We've had that before, from press conferences etc. On the matter of the coaching team, possibly the mistake made was for the club to keep emphasising, before the final decision, that the choice was between just Milicic and Aloisi. In hindsight it would have been better to have said that there was a short list of six (even if it wasn't true). I can't think of anything that would have upset Milicic more than to know that it was between him and Aloisi, his junior in the coaching stakes, and then for Aloisi to be preferred. From that moment on it was naive of the club to think AM would stay - West Sydney and his family connection to Popovic just made it easy for him to leave quickly.

Edited by jw1739