Melbourne Football

SPL

cadete

Salford is owned by ex Manchester United players Phil and Gary Neville, Nicky Butt, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs. There has been complaints that they are buying their way into the Football league. Some of their wages are equivalent to lower English championship teams. Other teams in the English leagues cannot compete with their budget. I see nothing wrong with this. They have their eyes on greater things. Celtic and Rangers are the only teams in the SPL that compete with the English Championship teams (and lower).

The average wage in St Johnstone's team is £1,500 a week. Rooney is reportedly on £4,000 a week at Salford. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Inchcolm said:

Salford is owned by ex Manchester United players Phil and Gary Neville, Nicky Butt, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs. There has been complaints that they are buying their way into the Football league. Some of their wages are equivalent to lower English championship teams. Other teams in the English leagues cannot compete with their budget. I see nothing wrong with this. They have their eyes on greater things. Celtic and Rangers are the only teams in the SPL that compete with the English Championship teams (and lower).

The average wage in St Johnstone's team is £1,500 a week. Rooney is reportedly on £4,000 a week at Salford. 

Part-owned. Singaporean businessman Peter Lim owns 50%, the ex-Manchester United players the other 50% between them. They're certainly rocking the boat. But they're actually doing nothing more than other mega-rich owners are doing further up the football tree. Let's face it, UAE-owned Manchester City is doing precisely the same thing - buying EPL championships.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2018 at 5:43 PM, Inchcolm said:

Celtic can compete with the Championship these days, but lose players to pretty lowly placed EPL teams... those just above the cellar.

Gers dont have the money for Championship players, and if they are spending such money its pretty stupid cos they are close to falling over again due to their debt.

When I was in High School Celtic had three or four players that could have played in the Top EPL side, and one point in the early 90s the Gers side (And we know now how they did this) had side that could have won the EPL... TBH probably would have won one title in a particular three year period.

NOTE: Before some EPL fan boys rubbishes my comment above, please look at the actual players they had first... hardly nobodies.

Edited by cadete

42 minutes ago, cadete said:

Celtic can compete with the Championship these days, but lose players to pretty lowly placed EPL teams... those just above the cellar.

Gers dont have the money for Championship players, and if they are spending such money its pretty stupid cos they are close to falling over again due to their debt.

When I was in High School Celtic had three or four players that could have played in the Top EPL side, and one point in the early 90s the Gers side (And we know now how they did this) had side that could have won the EPL... TBH probably would have won one title in a particular three year period.

NOTE: Before some EPL fan boys rubbishes my comment above, please look at the actual players they had first... hardly nobodies.

The years you mention Celtic and Rangers could compete with the English premier league teams for players. Now with salaries they pay out, Celtic and Rangers have become a stepping stone to the Premiership. Look at the team Celtic could field today if they had the same budget to keep their players.

Forster (Southampton & England)

Lustig, (Sweden)

Van Dijk, (Liverpool and Holland)

Boyata (Belgium)

Tierney (Scotland) (rumoured £20 mil bid coming from a number of EPL teams)

Brown (Scotland)

Wanyama (Spurs & Kenya)

Ki Sung-yueng (Newcastle & Korea)

Dembele (France under 21)

Edouard (France under 21)

That team in my opinion would easily survive in the EPL. But now Celtic and Rangers will have to live with being feeder clubs to England.

16 hours ago, Inchcolm said:

The years you mention Celtic and Rangers could compete with the English premier league teams for players. Now with salaries they pay out, Celtic and Rangers have become a stepping stone to the Premiership. Look at the team Celtic could field today if they had the same budget to keep their players.

Forster (Southampton & England)

Lustig, (Sweden)

Van Dijk, (Liverpool and Holland)

Boyata (Belgium)

Tierney (Scotland) (rumoured £20 mil bid coming from a number of EPL teams)

Brown (Scotland)

Wanyama (Spurs & Kenya)

Ki Sung-yueng (Newcastle & Korea)

Dembele (France under 21)

Edouard (France under 21)

That team in my opinion would easily survive in the EPL. But now Celtic and Rangers will have to live with being feeder clubs to England.

The current Celtic side would probably just survive the EPL, however that is because of good a group of Young Players and the consistency and hardness of Scott Brown in the center...

Rogers has realized that players are going to move on but he knows that the Big Leagues see a young player coming out of Celtic like a Bond Firm in NY sees in a kid coming out of Harvard Business School. He has used this to allow us to watch some good players and win titles... 

And as for Europe, well I cried when we lost to eventual Champions Leagues winners in Porto in the UEFA Cup years ago because I knew that was out last chance, we only stayed in that game because Henrik was too much of a good bloke to leave the club.

I knew we never see anybody like him again as a long term player... 

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

On 7/24/2018 at 9:11 AM, cadete said:

The current Celtic side would probably just survive the EPL, however that is because of good a group of Young Players and the consistency and hardness of Scott Brown in the center...

Rogers has realized that players are going to move on but he knows that the Big Leagues see a young player coming out of Celtic like a Bond Firm in NY sees in a kid coming out of Harvard Business School. He has used this to allow us to watch some good players and win titles... 

And as for Europe, well I cried when we lost to eventual Champions Leagues winners in Porto in the UEFA Cup years ago because I knew that was out last chance, we only stayed in that game because Henrik was too much of a good bloke to leave the club.

I knew we never see anybody like him again as a long term player... 

Looks like Manchester City will be giving us another under-grad to learn his trade...

Edited by cadete

• 1 month later...

The old firm game Celtic v Rangers is taking place today (I think 9 pm Australia). I believe Rangers under Stevie Gerard has the better team. Celtic seem to be in a bit of turmoil. Rodgers complaining that he did not get the players he wanted. Boyata refused to play in Champions League because he wanted transferred. And they lost their striker Dembele (not replaced) at the last hour of the transfer window £20 mil to Lyon. Should be a good game.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Seemed the best spot for this.

Ange Postecolgou has shocked the world by taking a job with a little club in the backwater that is Scottish Football.

Ok. In truth Celtic’s a pretty big gig actually! And If they aren’t concerned at Ibrox, they bloody should be!

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...