Melbourne Football

MLS(Major League Soccer)

dRoy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now you know why their national anthem is called "O Canada...."  

It was an incredible series when they finally did play it.

Orlando's new stadium going up.  Lot's of stadium building going on in our league.  Sadly, none by us.  That Minnesota stadium I posted at the top of the page starts construction on Monday.

CyoXCwaXEAAVq6I.jpg

Edited by NYCFCFan10

• 3 months later...

New season update:

Atlanta United and Minnesota United join the league this year bringing us to 22 teams.

Outside of their names, they couldn't be more different.  Atlanta is on pace to be MLS's best expansion team and Minnesota is well on its way to being the worst.

Highlights from some of the games this season.

Atlanta's first game:

NYCFC takes on their former coach to start the season in Orlando's new stadium; We lost :(

Expansion teams duel in the Snow Bowl

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dylan said:

Ive watched a few MLS games so far, Id say that compared to the aleague it seems to be more technical and slower. Would that be fair?

Certainly slower. Not sure about the technical bit - but I find it overall to be rather unexciting.

35 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Yeah there issnt much intensity and seems like both sides won't press to hard either. 

TBH some of what I've watched reminds me of watching (or playing in) a "Dads and lads" pick-up game in the park on a Sunday afternoon.

5 hours ago, Dylan said:

Ive watched a few MLS games so far, Id say that compared to the aleague it seems to be more technical and slower. Would that be fair?

From what I've seen most teams have too much of a gap in type of players. 60% of the team are typical big "brute" type players, 35% are pacey south Americans (Kamau type players with no finishing and bad decision making), and the remaining one or two players are former 30+ year old technical but slow, European players ie. Pirlo, Kaka.

Whereas in the A-League we generally have a whole team of players you are sound technically but physically, with only 2-3 players in each team that are pacey.

Edited by haz

23 hours ago, Dylan said:

Yeh 100% imo. Better technically, but way slower. Can be a boring league to watch at times i find due the lack of pressing.

On 4/22/2017 at 10:10 PM, Dylan said:

Probably a fair assessment.

I think there's little doubt it's a league with deeper depth technically.  Guys like Giovinco, Ignacio Piatti, Josef Martinez, David Villa, Clint Dempsey, Gio Dos Santos, Cyle Larin, Miguel Almiron, Nicolas Lodeiro, Alessandrini, ect. alone afford us that.

Is it slower?  I don't know, could be?

As for the old guys charge, we're definitely turning a corner there.

Unless you are a David Villa, Ibra, Messi, Ronaldo-type star, we're not buying over 30 anymore.

Lodeiro, Alessandrini, Gio Dos Santos, Giovinco, Josef Martinez, Miguel Almiron, Jonathan Mensah, David Accam, Hector Villalba, Bryan Rochez plus many more all brought in in their twenties.

Edited by NYCFCFan10

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

MLS just had their MLS X Parley kit round ... which in a nutshell is all clubs wear one of the below colours to raise awareness for plastics in the ocean. "These innovative Climalite kits are made from technical yarns comprised of Parley Ocean Plastic, plastic waste collected on beaches and in coastal communities and transformed into high-performance sportswear."

MLS has nothing on our Star Wars round!

parley-2019-primary.png?LYDdTCm3udp.YgOs

http://www.startribune.com/goofy-soccer-rule-era-for-mls-is-hopefully-gone-for-good/482437861/

The MLS was literally the most gimmicky thing on the planet for a long time.

MLS introduced a fourth substitution that was only allowed to be used for the goalkeeper. The rule died an ignominious death when coaches — chief among them current LAFC boss Bob Bradley — figured out that all they had to do was swap their keeper with another player who was already on the field, sub in a player for the new “goalkeeper,” and then have the actual goalkeeper move back into the net.

Chief among them was the penalty shootout at the end of every tied game, to ensure a winner. But not just a traditional penalty-kick shootout from a fixed spot. Instead, shooters lined up 35 yards from the goal, simulating a breakaway situation.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...