Melbourne Football

Vi7it0rs

Ando

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 13/10/2020 at 3:45 PM, mattyh001 said:

Callum McManaman just announced on a two year deal. 

Featured in 50 odd games across the last two seasons for Wigan and then Luton in England's Championship. Given most Championship teams play roughly 50 games a season, makes you wonder what his deal is (particularly as most of his games last season saw him come off the bench) 

Such an on-brand signing for that club.

Bloke's a hatchet man.

2 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Capture.PNG.ff6b0f984ba3ed1094cb4f262b309321.PNG

Thought the football was a bit dour but my goodness.

Early two goals and park the bus in a must win is prob not an unusual strategy. Great result for Aus football though tbh, particularly in terms of our AFC ranking and the ACL consequences that come with it.
Pity it had to be them though ha.

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

Just awaiting a classic "they weren't our supporters, we don't know who they are" response from the Tards. Then they'll play the victim when there's a punishment.

First test for Australian Professional Leagues. Let's see whether this really is a new start or just deckchairs on the Titanic.

Hopefully all the contact tracing systems in place make it pretty easily to identify the culprits and give them a hefty ban from all forms of the game. 

Good to see their club hasn't made a statement condemning it, but their "normal" fans have voiced their disgust on social media.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mus-28 said:

Hopefully all the contact tracing systems in place make it pretty easily to identify the culprits and give them a hefty ban from all forms of the game. 

Good to see their club hasn't made a statement condemning it, but their "normal" fans have voiced their disgust on social media.

As far as I am concerned, therein lies the the problem. Nothing from FA, APL, Melbourne Victory or indeed Melbourne City. Whether you're a perpetrator, a victim, or a bystander, you have to promptly come out and condemn this shit. Silence means you're condoning it.

Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, IssySG said:

Scoreline flattered them, a 1-1 draw seemed more fitting. Also worth noting they only had 7k at the game. 

IMO we shouldn't really draw conclusions based on the attendance. There's still a great deal of uncertainty out there in the community about the coronavirus, particularly with these new mutations arriving via international arrivals, and with fixtures being re-arranged regularly and odd KO times it's hard to develop any rhythm to the season.

IMO one task that lies ahead for Australian Professional Leagues is to develop a regular home-away season and possibly have several matches on at the same time to generate more interest in the league.

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, n i k o said:

I think supporters of most clubs would feel the same. IIRC there have been comments on this Forum about the attitudes of some of our players in post-match comments - that they didn't seem to care too much about losing.

The alternative view is that footballers have a life outside of football, and are entitled to enjoy it, just as the rest of us do outside our employment. Do we really care once we've knocked off for the day?

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I think supporters of most clubs would feel the same. IIRC there have been comments on this Forum about the attitudes of some of our players in post-match comments - that they didn't seem to care too much about losing.

The alternative view is that footballers have a life outside of football, and are entitled to enjoy it, just as the rest of us do outside our employment. Do we really care once we've knocked off for the day?

Yeh i definitely employ the latter view here. Its totally different whilst theyre at the ground, but i know when weve had a bad loss or a bad day at work, blowing off some steam always helps level out.

• Like 1

I'm surprised that by this stage Victory haven't organised themselves a more private training venue. There are plenty of council-owned ovals around Melbourne that are used during the week only by dog-walkers. After a humiliating loss like that it can't be much fun fronting up for "work"  in the public eye in Gosch's Paddock.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Yeh i definitely employ the latter view here. Its totally different whilst theyre at the ground, but i know when weve had a bad loss or a bad day at work, blowing off some steam always helps level out.

Each to their own then. If I'm a player that cares about the club and the perception of the club I wouldn't be out partying. I wouldn't want people to think that I'm indifferent, especially after the worst result in my clubs history. That's me though. 

I also think connecting a normal job that no one cares too much about outside your inner circle of a few people to a footballers job where in the case of victory generally has over 20k people with a vested interest is apples and oranges. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

Each to their own then. If I'm a player that cares about the club and the perception of the club I wouldn't be out partying. I wouldn't want people to think that I'm indifferent, especially after the worst result in my clubs history. That's me though. 

I also think connecting a normal job that no one cares too much about outside your inner circle of a few people to a footballers job where in the case of victory generally has over 20k people with a vested interest is apples and oranges. 

I’m a lot closer to you on this.

To be honest, if I have a bad day at work, then yes I do feel shit in the rest of my life and it takes a while to get over it.

I think it’s a terrible look (assuming it’s legitimate).

Edited by Shahanga

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

I’m a lot closer to you on this.

To be honest, if I have a bad day at work, then yes I do feel shit in the rest of my life and it takes a while to get over it.

I think it’s a terrible look (assuming it’s legitimate).

Though the really bad days are usually drowned in alcohol...

Sometimes you just need something to take your mind off shit..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, malloy said:

Though the really bad days are usually drowned in alcohol...

Sometimes you just need something to take your mind off shit..

Yeah and everyone’s different. 
The over thinker needs to go to the beach, the lazy bastard to the training track. Unless you know them personally you don’t know who needs what.

10 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

Victory fans racially abusing Kusini Yengi on instagram, level of surprise: 0

Filling 10% of Docklands for the "Original Rivalry", I haven't heard any Green Seat jokes lately. Weird.

Im not really someone that cares too much about crowds as a general rule, but they drew less than 400 more than us this weekend. Tide is turning.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Shows where they’re at the moment.

getting smashed by Scum, so Kruse, the captain, gets dragged with 20 to go. Now they are down 0-2 and playing like it, so he walks off like they are in front to chew up the clock and hangs on to the captain’s armband.

Hopefully they won’t sort this shit out quickly.