Melbourne Football

Vi7it0rs

Ando

As much as I hate to say it, victory have nailed its off season recruiting. Can't say they haven't made bad signing and whoever they've lost, they've directly replaced. Got a settled squad and on paper have a quality first 11 with only the right back spot the only question mark, Coe, right back, Chilean, leijer, traore, Milligan, broxham, barbarouses, finkler, troisi, Archie.

I know you shouldn't compare them with us but on paper they look like they're finishing ahead and challenging for the title while we will be lucky to make finals.

Victory have made the signings they've needed to and do look strong but our off-season recruiting has been absolutely top notch, definitely a top 4 contending squad.

• Like 1

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I hate to say it, victory have nailed its off season recruiting. Can't say they haven't made bad signing and whoever they've lost, they've directly replaced. Got a settled squad and on paper have a quality first 11 with only the right back spot the only question mark, Coe, right back, Chilean, leijer, traore, Milligan, broxham, barbarouses, finkler, troisi, Archie.

I know you shouldn't compare them with us but on paper they look like they're finishing ahead and challenging for the title while we will be lucky to make finals.

Victory have made the signings they've needed to and do look strong but our off-season recruiting has been absolutely top notch, definitely a top 4 contending squad.

while we will be lucky to make finals.

I completely disagree. I think our squad has loads of potential and will only be let down by injury and poor coaching. Finals should be a minimum for us.

But back on topic, the mongs do have a strong squad

• Like 1

Not sure why people are so terrified about a team with Leigh Broxham, Adrian Leijer, Finkler and an ageing centre half in an unproven backline.

We also have an aging centre half in wierlart and an unproven back line.

If you were to go player for player on paper us vs visitors they would win hands down, no doubt about it.

Can't please everybody I guess. I think your greatly underestimating the list. Don't look at age, look at skill. You make it sound like anyone over 30 is basically too old to compete in this league when the best player last year was a 38 year old.

You cannot compare a 38 year old del piero to any 30+ player in the a league, he is one of a kind, his playing career is 2nd to none and had no major injury issues or lack of match time at the time he signed for Sydney.

Every 30+ player we have signed either has injury issues, lack of game time at previous club, or both.

Just trying to be realistic about our chances.

Can't please everybody I guess. I think your greatly underestimating the list. Don't look at age, look at skill. You make it sound like anyone over 30 is basically too old to compete in this league when the best player last year was a 38 year old.

You cannot compare a 38 year old del piero to any 30+ player in the a league, he is one of a kind, his playing career is 2nd to none and had no major injury issues or lack of match time at the time he signed for Sydney.

Every 30+ player we have signed either has injury issues, lack of game time at previous club, or both.

Just trying to be realistic about our chances.

Okay then, how about Zwaanswijk who has been the best defender in the A-League over the past few years and he was in his late 30's.

Old age =/= lesser ability

• Like 1

What about him? When he signed he had just played 30 odd games in the Dutch league that season, no injury problems to report, been a regular everywhere he went, so what's there to question?

Because you were banging on about how Wielaert is an aging centre half when like Zwaanswijk, he's also been a regular starter at every club he's been at.

Sure, the pre-season injuries aren't fantastic but if he's right for round 1, there's no issue for mine.

What about him? When he signed he had just played 30 odd games in the Dutch league that season, no injury problems to report, been a regular everywhere he went, so what's there to question?

Because you were banging on about how Wielaert is an aging centre half when like Zwaanswijk, he's also been a regular starter at every club he's been at.

Sure, the pre-season injuries aren't fantastic but if he's right for round 1, there's no issue for mine.

I'm not calling him a shit player, just not a fan of question marks hanging above all our signings, in this case wierlarts injury troubles, and to a lesser degree his age.

disagree, they were looking pretty weak until about a week ago when Troisi and Contrerras were brought in - and bizarrely/luckily they've managed to hold on to Milligan which is a huge boost but hardly nailing in their recruiting.. Theyve left their recruiting pretty late imo but we'll see.

bizarrely/luckily they've managed to hold on to Milligan

Well they orchestrated that and Milligan, presumably not being the brightest*, seemingly meekly went along with it.  Their latest signing ,seemingly a 50 year old South American, doesn't place fear in my Heart.

Honestly their squad is nothing to write home about.  Swap Ange for one of their previous coaches and the wooden spoon beckons.

* by definition.  If he was wouldn't he be at another club?

"However, Victory assistant coach Kevin Muscat says Milligan will be fine for the first-round derby clash on October 12 against Heart.

Jeronimo Neumann (first half) and Tarek Elrich (second half) were the scorers for the visitor while Kosta Barabarouses scored a goal for Victory in the 83rd minute.

Victory assistant coach Kevin Muscat said Milligan was in no doubt for round one."

Would be disgusting if Melbourne Victory were allowed to choose if he misses the Australia matches. If they took him off as a precaution, then he should be fine to play for Australia.

Pretty cute the little Facebook war of words between the BWB & NTC about the North Terrace. Looks like people not aligned with the BWB will be abandoning their beloved Norff Terrace for General Admission at Etihad. Should make for some interesting seating dilemmas if it's a sell out as suggested.