Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

7 hours ago, haz said:

The Covert Agent can also reveal former Melbourne City coach Michael Valkanis requested a private meeting with Central Coast Mariners owner Mike Charlesworth - three days before Paul Okon left the club.It cannot be confirmed if the meeting went ahead or not but both parties were in the UK recently.

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/the-covert-agent-john-aloisi-sydney-fc-brisbane-roar-coach/df26349dgjro18201xsm7wmzh

Always accurate

Aloisi, seriously? Hadn't realised Steve Corica was assistant at Sydney. Used to play for my home town club in the UK when we had a brief period in the sunny uplands of the Championship. 

10 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Aloisi, seriously? Hadn't realised Steve Corica was assistant at Sydney. Used to play for my home town club in the UK when we had a brief period in the sunny uplands of the Championship. 

Its covert agent so mostly all BS

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Tando out for the rest of the season - ankle injury. https://www.a-league.com.au/news/velaphi-out-rest-season

Return home Tando. Eugene can retire and we save cap space

20 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Hughes is a good player. Unfortunately he was injured for 80% of the time he was with us.

But there was a period where he was available but not picked. 

To still be playing internationals (regardless of the country) at his age is testament to his quality. Him and Duff never really had the chance to show their best with us.

25 minutes ago, Jovan said:

But there was a period where he was available but not picked. 

To still be playing internationals (regardless of the country) at his age is testament to his quality. Him and Duff never really had the chance to show their best with us.

Yeh he was available for the last 5-6 games from memory, but by that stage we'd brought Wilko in and he was pairing fairly well with Kisnorbo. Prob no point breaking up the partnership at that point in time given he was going to be let go anyway.

4 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Yeh he was available for the last 5-6 games from memory, but by that stage we'd brought Wilko in and he was pairing fairly well with Kisnorbo. Prob no point breaking up the partnership at that point in time given he was going to be let go anyway.

I wasn't bagging the decision of not picking him as it was probably the right one for the time, more so that we never really got to see him at his full potential. 

And in hindsight maybe if he stayed another season we would have. But that would have been a big risky call at the time.

5 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I wasn't bagging the decision of not picking him as it was probably the right one for the time, more so that we never really got to see him at his full potential. 

And in hindsight maybe if he stayed another season we would have. But that would have been a big risky call at the time.

Oh yeh you definitely couldnt haven given him another contract given what had happened. Sometimes, despite all the ability and good preparation, it just doesnt pay off. Pure (bad) luck, with an acknowledgement that the older the player is the higher the risk.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2018 at 11:34 AM, bt50 said:

Oh yeh you definitely couldnt haven given him another contract given what had happened. Sometimes, despite all the ability and good preparation, it just doesnt pay off. Pure (bad) luck, with an acknowledgement that the older the player is the higher the risk.

...and we've had a few of those, haven't we?

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Fernando Brandan scored Temperley's goal in their 1-1 away draw this morning our time.

The question is where would have Brandan fit into the squad? Would Vidosic still have been signed? Would Brandan had the same output as Vidosic so far?

I could make the argument too that Vidosic is an aussie hence frees up a Visa spot, but we arnt using it.

Edited by haz

9 minutes ago, haz said:

The question is where would have Brandan fit into the squad? Would Vidosic still have been signed? Would Brandan had the same output as Vidosic so far?

I could make the argument too that Vidosic is an aussie hence frees up a Visa spot, but we arnt using it.

I don't think Vidosic to Brandan is the correct comparison. Imo, Vidosic is better compared to Cahill, where his aerial ability is the real key. 

Watch any game and it's obvious he's the outlet point for most goalkicks/high balls. He has been a beast for us so far; winning headers and scoring from corners/crosses. Add to that he can be deployed wider or more centrally, us great technically and he's become a vital cog in our attack - more so than Cahill could ever have been in his second season with us. Been a fantastic pickup.

Positionally Arzani has been Brandan's replacement, though the reason for him going was that he was the obvious pawn to keep Ross. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, rass said:

I don't think Vidosic to Brandan is the correct comparison. Imo, Vidosic is better compared to Cahill, where his aerial ability is the real key. 

Watch any game and it's obvious he's the outlet point for most goalkicks/high balls. He has been a beast for us so far; winning headers and scoring from corners/crosses. Add to that he can be deployed wider or more centrally, us great technically and he's become a vital cog in our attack - more so than Cahill could ever have been in his second season with us. Been a fantastic pickup.

Positionally Arzani has been Brandan's replacement, though the reason for him going was that he was the obvious pawn to keep Ross. 

I know they are a different player, just that Vidosic takes up the same position in the line-up.

But I guess thats just Joyce trying to shape the team, replace an out-n-out winger with a winger/target man.

Im not complaining, if Waz can make more of these successful signings then im very happy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

I never joined the Rose hate when he was here.

he’s had a much travelled career, with a title and has been the best player in his position in the league in some of those seasons. He’s also been a model pro.

i wish him all the best.

Agree, and that's where it was so sad his early form made him such a whipping boy.

• Like 1

I'd argue he was one of our best few performers in the Valkanis era, which in of itself is a bit of a sad state of affairs. Made 3 or 4 shocking brain farts early and for many his book was already marked irrespective of performance. He was solid second half of the season but ultimately we could prob only take one of Rosey and Manny into this season as a squaddie, and given Manny had a two year deal it seemed a pretty easy choice.

Had a pretty damn good career at Mariners and was one of the best full backs in the league 5 or so years ago when the Mariners were good. I wish him all the best and hope he goes out with a win next week, but a 4-0 loss for good measure tonight :)

He had a great career and agree with bt50 that he was one of our best performers towards the tail end of his city career. Earlier on he was extremely poor, not only brain farts but poor decision making on a regular basis. The criticism imo was warranted. But as mentioned he came good and definitely deserves respect for a great career. Wish him all the best. 

28 minutes ago, n i k o said:

He had a great career and agree with bt50 that he was one of our best performers towards the tail end of his city career. Earlier on he was extremely poor, not only brain farts but poor decision making on a regular basis. The criticism imo was warranted. But as mentioned he came good and definitely deserves respect for a great career. Wish him all the best. 

I think that I would have preferred Rose to stay the extra season rather than Muscat.

2 hours ago, n i k o said:

He struggled when we played him in a back three. He lacked the pace to play that position effectively and, of course, we had no interest in defending anyway

Edited by belaguttman

On 4/8/2018 at 2:26 AM, jw1739 said:

Fernando Brandan both goals in Temperley's 2-2 draw with Lanus in the Argentina Primera.

Here are the highlights.

-100 games for Temperley

- 2 goals (Typical Brandan celebrations)

- gets a player sent off

- fights the keeper (thought this had the footage of it, but its when he gets up from rolling)

Edited by haz
  • Like 3