Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

Just had a look in Transfermarkt estimated value for Portsmouth who are top of the table for League 1. Their squad of 30 players is estimated t be almost $Aus19M. Substantially more than A-league clubs.

England has inflated prices, especially English players. They also have more money than any other league by quite a way and it filters down to Championship and league 1.

Our league is pretty poor, even by Asian standards, the Thai league probably has a higher squad spend than Australian clubs.

The EPL and its clubs know how to market themselves, that's for sure. The English clubs are not themselves always successful on the world stage(!), and neither is their national team(!). But in terms of marketing I reckon they lead the field by a country mile.

Ranking of Leagues is an interesting discussion. I looked at a couple - we're round about 40-50 and I was surprised at that. Different factors are used in different assessments.

One had us above the K-League, the J1-League and the SPL @NewConvert

I guess it's a matter of how it's calculated. The "average club" in L1 or SPL might well be like us, but I'd be surprised if Portsmouth, Derby County, Rangers and Celtic didn't give us a shellacking. But...you never know in football, and we only put that to the test in the AFC competitions. These do, in my mind, bring our ranking into question. I wonder why the hell CFG can't organise at least some inter-CFG club matches every season...not as if they can't afford it.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 3

By my count, 8 current/ex City players featured for the national team last night:

- Atkinson

- Behich

- McGree

- Bos

- Metcalfe

- O'Neill

- Tilio

- Fornaroli

Pretty crazy, especially when you consider Maclaren and Leckie aren't in the squad either.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Nate said:

By my count, 8 current/ex City players featured for the national team last night:

- Atkinson

- Behich

- McGree

- Bos

- Metcalfe

- O'Neill

- Tilio

- Fornaroli

Pretty crazy, especially when you consider Maclaren and Leckie aren't in the squad either.

That's definitely something to be proud of. We are by far the best club for players through the academy or just playing for us then getting national team caps! There would be no other A-League club that comes close to this output...

1 hour ago, Nate said:

- Atkinson

- Behich

- McGree

- Bos

- Metcalfe

- O'Neill

- Tilio

- Fornaroli

And you can add in Glover who apparently knocked back going and sitting on the bench to focus on being number 1 at Middlesbrough 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, neio said:

And you can add in Glover who apparently knocked back going and sitting on the bench to focus on being number 1 at Middlesbrough 

He took a pounding from Chelsea last night. Hit for 6.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Conor Metcalfe scored St. Pauli's fourth in their 4-3 away win at second-placed Holstein Kiel.

St. Pauli lead the 2. Bundesliga by six points. A good chance for the lad to be playing in the Bundesliga next season

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Conor Metcalfe scored St. Pauli's fourth in their 4-3 away win at second-placed Holstein Kiel.

St. Pauli lead the 2. Bundesliga by six points. A good chance for the lad to be playing in the Bundesliga next season

It's likely, but they faded from the promotion spots towards the end of the season. They replaced their coach and have only lost a handful of games since. They also look to have recruited well in the transfer window, so, here's hoping.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Tommy Glover apparently has interest from Newcastle, Celtic, Rangers and Copenhagen. 

I know he had impressed in the dozen or so games he started for Middlesbrough, but didn't know he did that well to have clubs like that looking at him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, neio said:

Tommy Glover apparently has interest from Newcastle, Celtic, Rangers and Copenhagen. 

I know he had impressed in the dozen or so games he started for Middlesbrough, but didn't know he did that well to have clubs like that looking at him.

Yeah he did pretty well, I remember he was getting plaudits and fan favourite for a few games.