Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

36 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I'd say we Already have. 

Talbot basically replaced Jenkinson. He like Galloway can play either side of fullback and with Jamieson and Bos, IMO we have decent options. 

I think we still need another keeper and a central ball playing midfielder. 

Yes, and i'd essentially view it as the club trying to free up salary and reallocate it to another part of the pitch where it can be better utilised. 
Obviously whether they can make good use of that remains to be seen, but I'm still fairly confident we'll sign a few more players, and at least one of them will be very good.

37 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Yes, and i'd essentially view it as the club trying to free up salary and reallocate it to another part of the pitch where it can be better utilised. 
Obviously whether they can make good use of that remains to be seen, but I'm still fairly confident we'll sign a few more players, and at least one of them will be very good.

"Information received" is that there are two more to be announced in the coming weeks. When have I ever let you lot down?

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Conor Metcalfe came on in the 81st minute for St. Pauli in the 2. Bundesliga yesterday. He's not getting much match time there.

He has been picked in every team and has come off the bench in most games. He had one shot on goal from inside the box and missed.

19 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Yeah but he's lucky if he's coming on for 10mins. Do you consider that progress? 

Absolutely. 

Being named in a matchday squad confirms he is ready to play. That is he has earned the confidence of being considered. 

Now his objective is to dislodge the starting player/s depending on position structure etc. That can be via injury poor individual form or collective issue. He then needs to be faultless when given a sniff, if thats 10 minutes or less doesn't matter. 

If he's good enough its up to him.

Only bonafide high level player will walk into a side and start. And as good as we know Metcalfe was last 2 seasons he is not that level.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Absolutely. 

Being named in a matchday squad confirms he is ready to play. That is he has earned the confidence of being considered. 

Now his objective is to dislodge the starting player/s depending on position structure etc. That can be via injury poor individual form or collective issue. He then needs to be faultless when given a sniff, if thats 10 minutes or less doesn't matter. 

If he's good enough its up to him.

Only bonafide high level player will walk into a side and start. And as good as we know Metcalfe was last 2 seasons he is not that level.

You raise some good points there, particularly when you consider the squad of St Pauli. 

According to Wikipedia they have a squad of 34 players and 9 of them are midfielders. 

Match day squad is typically 18-20 players.

Guess he is about where we could expect him to be given the competition. Hopefully he can work more minutes from here... 

Edited by MHFC-FAN

St. Pauli were on track to Bundesliga 1 promotion last season but lost a few games late in the season and finished outside the promotion play-off spots. They've strengthened their team again this season, so he's close to breaking into a near-Bundesliga level team. He's played well each game that he's come on and had a scoring chance that he missed. Australian players are looked on favourably there as Jackson Irvine is one of their better players and also fits in well with the club's ethos.

St Pauli is the only overseas team that I follow. If you are ever in Hamburg, you can organise a (fan-led) stadium tour, it is a fantastic club, as usual in Germany; they do nothing by halves. The walk to the stadium in itself is entertaining, down the Reeperbahn, past sex toy shops with imaginative displays of butt plugs and giant black dildos😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It's tough being a forward if you don't get 20+ minutes. At 10 minutes or less you're more or less just plugging a hole to make sure the starting player doesn't get fatigued or injured. St. Pauli were 3-0 up by the time Conor came on on.

Yeah it's not exactly instilling much confidence and nor can you make much of an impact with less than 10 minutes. I believe in 4 games so far he has been subbed on twice for a total of 18 minutes... Not exactly lighting the world on fire but probably better than sitting on the bench and getting 0 minutes 

4 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

St. Pauli were on track to Bundesliga 1 promotion last season but lost a few games late in the season and finished outside the promotion play-off spots. They've strengthened their team again this season, so he's close to breaking into a near-Bundesliga level team. He's played well each game that he's come on and had a scoring chance that he missed. Australian players are looked on favourably there as Jackson Irvine is one of their better players and also fits in well with the club's ethos.

St Pauli is the only overseas team that I follow. If you are ever in Hamburg, you can organise a (fan-led) stadium tour, it is a fantastic club, as usual in Germany; they do nothing by halves. The walk to the stadium in itself is entertaining, down the Reeperbahn, past sex toy shops with imaginative displays of butt plugs and giant black dildos😂

Ok so you have been watching their games this season? Good point about their squad practically being at Bundesliga 1 level. The march to the stadium sounds rather entertaining 🤣

4 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Ok so you have been watching their games this season? Good point about their squad practically being at Bundesliga 1 level. The march to the stadium sounds rather entertaining 🤣

There are some great Youtube videos of their stadium marches and of their active support. It's also the only stadium in Germany with a full-time kindergarten. It offers match-time child care and a supervised support area for minors, as well as a special stadium section for seniors. It's also inhabiting a parallel universe where they removed somer corporate viewing to increase the size of their disabled viewing area.

• Like 1

St Pauli is playing  a 4-3-1-2 system so basically with 4 midfielders so that will help Metcalf get a game. Trouble is he has three strong players in front of him in the pecking order including Irvine who has two goals already in 4 games and a young midfielder who has already got 3 goals. Btw Irvine played with the captain's armband last week after the captain who plays LB didn't play so sort of confirms St Pauli has a soft spot for Australians. I'm sure Metcalf will get more game time as the season progresses especially if they have an injury in midfield 

• Like 1

Have been wanting to find another club to support for a while, and after a few attempts with the EPL and briefly Bundesliga feel like I've actually got one with St Pauli. For a pretty reasonable fee you can watch full replays on their website of every game, so I've just been avoiding the results and watching them the following day (English commentary too, except the bloke that does it is horrendous and says "Boys in Brown" at least twice a minute which is infuriating). 

Sundays performance was much better than his first showing for Metcalfe. His first game he basically only touched the ball in aerial battles from goal kicks and spillages, Sunday he actually got to get in attacking positions and receive passes (and really should've scored). They're a pretty good side so no issues with him not having broken through yet, and the fact he has been on the bench in every game and is someone they seem to be trying to sub on bodes well. 

He is facing some good competition in the midfield, and unfortunately the mids all seem to have big engines and are rarely subbed off which makes it harder for him, even on Sunday he was brought on for a striker. There'll be an injury at some point though and I'd expect he is first in line for two of the midfield spots though so I guess he just needs to take that opportunity when it comes. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully this leads to a touch more gametime for Connor. They aren't a heavy possession team through the midfield but in this 10ish minute stint it's probably the most involved I've seen Metcalfe in possession with St Pauli so far. It's a very good step forward at least in putting his name in the mix for an earlier substitution or as someone you can put on when chasing a game like what happened this week. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Arzani in a recent interview:

"It’s very important for him to take the next step in the correct direction,” Arzani said.

“The people around him that are advising him, hopefully will help him do that – his manager, the coaching staff and that around him. My situation was a little bit different: I was already signed to Melbourne City [who are owned by Manchester City], I had a year left on my deal, and I was kind of forced to go ... not that I was forced, but I didn’t really have a choice.

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

"It’s very important for him to take the next step in the correct direction,” Arzani said.

“The people around him that are advising him, hopefully will help him do that – his manager, the coaching staff and that around him. My situation was a little bit different: I was already signed to Melbourne City [who are owned by Manchester City], I had a year left on my deal, and I was kind of forced to go ... not that I was forced, but I didn’t really have a choice.

So what he means is that the CFG pressured him to go early in order to make a transaction on the books and avoid walking transfer free a year later?

2 hours ago, n i k o said:

This sounds awfully like the sort of pressure that "big and powerful" organisations sometimes apply to individuals - not confined to sports clubs either. You're not forced, but the consequences of not abiding by their wishes can be disastrous for you.

I know.

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Le Hack said:

Poor old Bruno looks.like he's copping the freezing out at Glory now, following a tweet he made that he was available to play after Glory had said he was injured as to reason not in the side.

Rumor is its to do with his contract if he scores 15 goals gets an extension...think he scored 8 last year and needs 7 this year to do it  

24 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Reckon WU with Prijovic on the long term list. 

I didn’t think you could just swap like that outside the transfer windows anyway.

I'm not sure, but the way it seems to work is that the contract is terminated by mutual consent and then the player is a free agent and can sign for another club?

Also I thought the A-League was going to change the transfer regulations to stop this sort of thing, but I may be mistaken about that?

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1