Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

Never bought into the hype as he had the turning circle of the titanic and he had a big opinion of himself. I think that the current crop of young players are better trained and fitter than when he came through. Yeboah was another one and maybe Da Silva. Once they get to the leagues with bigger rosters then they really have to work hard to get a spot and he just didn't come into play.

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Never bought into the hype as he had the turning circle of the titanic and he had a big opinion of himself. I think that the current crop of young players are better trained and fitter than when he came through. Yeboah was another one and maybe Da Silva. Once they get to the leagues with bigger rosters then they really have to work hard to get a spot and he just didn't come into play.

The attitude (which you reference) seems to be the biggest issue with Eli.

The rumour mill suggests he thought he’d arrived when all he’d done was get an opportunity to work harder.

Jets have really thrown him a lifeline here. I wish him well.

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Daniel Arzani is getting game time (averaging 65 minutes or thereabouts) as a starter for Lommel in the Belgian First Division B - actually the second division of Belgian football. No goals.

He's going nowhere.

Hate to think the injury he got at Celtic has really fkd him up. The bloke looked like he coulda been anything that season he played with us then at the World cup at 18. Really sad

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DukeVader said:

Hate to think the injury he got at Celtic has really fkd him up. The bloke looked like he coulda been anything that season he played with us then at the World cup at 18. Really sad

I don't get what his management or Manchester City are trying to do with him. He's only 22, but he needs quality game time. They're sending him to the wrong club time after time.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I don't get what his management or Manchester City are trying to do with him. He's only 22, but he needs quality game time. They're sending him to the wrong club time after time.

As bad as it sounds, maybe a stint back in the a-league would be good for him? Get fit, get theconfidence back and then have another tilt at europe?? He has the ability

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DukeVader said:

As bad as it sounds, maybe a stint back in the a-league would be good for him? Get fit, get theconfidence back and then have another tilt at europe?? He has the ability

Injuries have cruelled him. A bit like Curtis Good - now that he is back where he belongs he has hardly been injured. The other question is whether he has the engine to play 90 minutes and the ethos to put in the hard yards to get to 90 minutes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

Injuries have cruelled him. A bit like Curtis Good - now that he is back where he belongs he has hardly been injured. The other question is whether he has the engine to play 90 minutes and the ethos to put in the hard yards to get to 90 minutes.

Averaging around 65 minutes and then coming off suggests that he just hasn't got the engine.

On 13/10/2021 at 12:04 PM, jw1739 said:

Daniel Arzani is getting game time (averaging 65 minutes or thereabouts) as a starter for Lommel in the Belgian First Division B - actually the second division of Belgian football. No goals.

He's going nowhere.

This is actually great. The bloke hasn’t played regularly for about 2 years.

Now I don’t where his comeback will end up, but he does need to start somewhere.

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

This is actually great. The bloke hasn’t played regularly for about 2 years.

Now I don’t where his comeback will end up, but he does need to start somewhere.

He's at a level where he's getting game time. It's mostly up to him what he makes of it. The only way back to form is playing.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Props to Josh Cavallo. Takes some courage. Though I'll be glad when a players sexuality is not news, and just accepted. On this one attitudes in football need to catch up a few decades.

I’ve been absolutely stunned by the groundswell of support around the world, I knew it would be big but you can’t help but feel that this is a moment in time for football all over the world.

Selfishly I couldn’t be prouder that an Aussie is at the centre of it as well.

• Like 4

On 27/10/2021 at 4:26 PM, fensaddler said:

Props to Josh Cavallo. Takes some courage. Though I'll be glad when a players sexuality is not news, and just accepted. On this one attitudes in football need to catch up a few decades.

Is coming out as gay in 2021 really something that deserves this type of coverage? I feel as in doing it this way, he'll be forever judged and looked at as the gay footballer instead of a footballer who happens to be gay.

As a western society, I feel as if we have come a long way and are accepting people of different sexual orientations, races ext (we're not perfect obviously, but still) Outside of those who are close to him, is it really the buisness of the general public to know private information about how someone chooses to live there life?

Just seems like a whole lot of commotion about nothing imo

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 3

I feel like its reflection on his age more than anything. At that age you're scared of rejection and crave acceptance so coming out must seem like a big deal. In reality, no one actually gives two fucks about who you get a boner for. A gay buddy of mine said it was the same for him. At 20 he was scared shitless, at 35 he couldn't give the slightest of fucks what people thought on him and he laughs at how dramatic he used to be. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Is coming out as gay in 2021 really something that deserves this type of coverage? I feel as in doing it this way, he'll be forever judged and looked at as the gay footballer instead of a footballer who happens to be gay.

As a western society, I feel as if we have come a long way and are accepting people of different sexual orientations, races ext (we're not perfect obviously, but still) Outside of those who are close to him, is it really the buisness of the general public to know private information about how someone chooses to live there life?

If it means a young kid who is gay might end up pursuing football thanks to Josh or better still, decide against killing himself - then yeah, I think it is

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

In many other walks of life it is of no great consequence. It doesn't matter. But in football it still does. In men's football it hasn't been possible to be open about being gay. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

This is a strange take. Doesn’t the fact that him being the first or second pro footballer in the entire world to come out as a gay during his career show that we haven’t quite come far enough or as far as you think? Especially not in soccer. Soccer and sport generally are decades behind with accepting gay people. Only a few months ago was there a homophobic chant at a PL match. 

You’re right in saying that it shouldn’t be a big deal, and maybe in another decade or two it won’t, but don’t be so naive as to think this isn’t a significant moment or not news-worthy. Some of the best players in the world, and the Twitter accounts of most of the biggest clubs in the world, have retweeted this story. It’s huge news. And that’s because this sport is lagging behind.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

I agree. Way to much coverage.. he's gay cool lets play football.. people want it to be normal? Then why don't they act like its normal instead of a tell it all interview shared across the world.. yes he's brave to come out, yes hes the 2nd footballer to ever come out but if we want it to be normal then let's act like its normal ?

Watching some stuff from the Euro's that happened in Hungary with openly homophobic banners from the crowd, or some of the nonsense still spouted off from different top leagues around Europe probably indicates we're not quite there yet with this being an issue.

It's superb we live in a society where this isn't a big of a deal as it once was, but football still has an issue with this.

48 minutes ago, DukeVader said:

I agree. Way to much coverage.. he's gay cool lets play football.. people want it to be normal? Then why don't they act like its normal instead of a tell it all interview shared across the world.. yes he's brave to come out, yes hes the 2nd footballer to ever come out but if we want it to be normal then let's act like its normal ?

I have some sympathy with this view. As soon as someone puts a label on themselves than don't be surprised if people use that label. Josh will be forever known as the second gay footballer to come out. I have the same view on other social stuff as well - an inclusive society doesn't need to wear that label - "A-League-Men" and "A-League-Women" tells me the opposite of what it's meant to, and likewise having an "Inclusion Policy" likely means you're not inclusive at all. Likewise companies with "Environmental Policy" and "Safety Policy" probably use them as window-dressing (I know first-hand that that can indeed be the case). The same point was made years ago by one of our politicians (?) about having a Department of Aboriginal Affairs (or whatever it was called at the time.

See also the hoo-ha surrounding Quinton de Kock.

Australia is full of this shit. Why do people continue to ask for me to state my country of birth, for example? Or my religion ("optional")?

• Like 2

On 29/10/2021 at 11:23 AM, Harrison said:

This is a strange take. Doesn’t the fact that him being the first or second pro footballer in the entire world to come out as a gay during his career show that we haven’t quite come far enough or as far as you think? Especially not in soccer. Soccer and sport generally are decades behind with accepting gay people. Only a few months ago was there a homophobic chant at a PL match. 

You’re right in saying that it shouldn’t be a big deal, and maybe in another decade or two it won’t, but don’t be so naive as to think this isn’t a significant moment or not news-worthy. Some of the best players in the world, and the Twitter accounts of most of the biggest clubs in the world, have retweeted this story. It’s huge news. And that’s because this sport is lagging behind.

If you think about it, its a uniquely male problem. The females don't seem to have the same shame factor. In fact recently some photos were leaked of pro players lezin it out on social media and no one battered an eye. The top 5 or 4 players in the world are openly lesbian and its celebrated. 

We as men simply don't like talking about personal issues but when he actually do we're surprised by the support we get from other men. That's why I think this isn't so much a "gay" thing, rather a "shame" thing. It's all perception and I've personally learnt that being vulnerable in front of other men is healthy and its helped me a shit load with my own issues. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neio said:

Our former boy wonder Daniel Arzani. Got dropped to the bench this morning, came on in the 53rd minute. In the 75th minute he received his 2nd yellow and sent off. 

Things arnt exactly going well for him 

I feel for the kid. It’s just been one bad thing after another since he left Australia years ago. The knee injury was bad but none of his moves have worked out. He’s at least been getting game time at Lommel but no goals or assists as a forward from 9 matches is telling. Nowhere near it.

For a kid with all that natural ability with the ball at his feet, he just doesn’t seem to have the desire to improve on the other parts of his game. He’s still got time but will he ever become the rounded player he needs to be? Doesn’t look like it. Let’s hope Tilio has learnt from Arzani’s mistakes. 

On 06/11/2021 at 1:14 PM, jw1739 said:

He went too early. Another season or even two in the A-League was what he needed. And I'm not impressed by Manchester City's management of him. From the warmth of summer football in Australia to winter football in Glasgow? 

I’m not impressed by Arzani’s management of himself. His attitude seems to have been most of the problem.

Its still not too late to turn it around  (having Arnold in his corner has helped) but the clock is ticking.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

I’m not impressed by Arzani’s management of himself. His attitude seems to have been most of the problem.

Its still not too late to turn it around  (having Arnold in his corner has helped) but the clock is ticking.

It's become pretty evident why Joyce was so hesitant to play him, despite his obvious talent.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

...and wouldn't cost an arm and a leg either. He always said that his best days were with us.

Cost us peanuts said he would play for minimum wage on record. Would be a 0 risk signing and provide depth after Atkinson left on the wings. Got the 2 spare visa spots not being used