Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

45 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

15 minutes into the Sydney Derby, Brucey Kamau has a goal and a secondary assist. Good to see him helping our cause

Most results in recent weeks are really starting to fall our way.

Edited by Mr MO

56 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

15 minutes into the Sydney Derby, Brucey Kamau has a goal and a secondary assist. Good to see him helping our cause

He didn't know what the goalposts were for while he was at City.

Edited by jw1739

He's in the Olyroos squad announced today.

IMO the issue with bringing him back to City is that is he any better than Ramy, who's also in the Olyroos, is still our player and hasn't had an ACL injury?

I don't think we need both of them, and I think I'd be going with Ramy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

He's in the Olyroos squad announced today.

IMO the issue with bringing him back to City is that is he any better than Ramy, who's also in the Olyroos, is still our player and hasn't had an ACL injury?

I don't think we need both of them, and I think I'd be going with Ramy.

We have to ask are they in contention for the same positions? Isn’t Ramy more a playermaker and Arzani a winger?

Is Ramy good enough for a starting spot, means he needs to be at the level of Metcalf, Berenguer and Luna or better. Even though they might not be at the club next season, you want to improve on players right. I’m assuming Ramy will come back to play football and not sit on the bench again.

Edited by Mr MO

24 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

We have to ask are they in contention for the same positions? Isn’t Ramy more a playermaker and Arzani a winger?

Is Ramy good enough for a starting spot, means he needs to be at the level of Metcalf, Berenguer and Luna or better. Even though they might not be at the club next season, you want to improve on players right. I’m assuming Ramy will come back to play football and not sit on the bench again.

From what I remember I'd rate Ramy higher than Berenguer and probably Luna.  As for Arzani, it's really not possible to judge. I'd say he's in the Olyroos based on reputation only, because he's played no football worth talking about since he left us.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

From what I remember I'd rate Ramy higher than Berenguer and probably Luna.  As for Arzani, it's really not possible to judge. I'd say he's in the Olyroos based on reputation only, because he's played no football worth talking about since he left us.

Wow, for me I'd go Luna Berenguer Najjarine and then Arzani in that order, and this is entirely based on their last 10 to 15 games.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Wow, for me I'd go Luna Berenguer Najjarine and then Arzani in that order, and this is entirely based on their last 10 to 15 games.

Definitely the best of that lot is Luna. A consistent starter who turns in 7 and 8 out of 10 performances week in week out. On current form I'd not be beating down the door to grab the other three. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

Not to mention they are all very different footballers and the first 2 play different positions to the 2nd 2.

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

Not to mention they are all very different footballers and the first 2 play different positions to the 2nd 2.

(post so good it had to be said twice)

Edited by Shahanga
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Does Berenguer even play a position?

22 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Ramy is an AM just like Berenguer.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I don't mind a different opinion - that's what forums are all about. But three are classified as "attacking midfielder" and Arzani as a "winger."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Ramy is an AM just like Berenguer.

Berenguer is an 8.

Ramy is a winger cum AM

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I don't mind a different opinion - that's what forums are all about. But three are classified as "attacking midfielder" and Arzani as a "winger."

What is it about Ramy anyway?

you’ve seen something I haven’t.

to me he’s (to date) another Wales and Kamau (both of whom you don’t rate)

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Berenguer is an 8.

Ramy is a winger cum AM

What is about Ramy anyway?

you’ve seen something I haven’t.

to me he’s (to date) another Wales and Kamau (both of whom you don’t rate)

The discussion about Ramy drifted off as he's selected for the Olyroos.

I'm not disputing it but Ramy mostly played in forward midfield positions in the youth, olyroos as well as with the Jets where he did well. Coming to the City senior team it seems he was forced to play on the wing as a substitute or injury replacement so I guess you can say he is as W/AM.

Berenguer as an 8 as in box to box midfielder? That's not where his strength lies of course in that traditional 8 role. https://www.transfermarkt.com/florin-berenguer/profil/spieler/111040.

Off topic a little; I'm still of the opinion that the City sytem (just like in Manchester) doesn't use a traditional number 8. We use a 6 (DM) and two forward facing midfielders, one left (Metcalf/Berenguer) and one right (Luna/Bereguer). These midfielders are instructed to make forward runs in the box one at the time and most often when our full backs invert.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

The discussion about Ramy drifted off as he's selected for the Olyroos.

I'm not disputing it but Ramy mostly played in forward midfield positions in the youth, olyroos as well as with the Jets where he did well. Coming to the City senior team it seems he was forced to play on the wing as a substitute or injury replacement so I guess you can say he is as W/AM.

Berenguer as an 8 as in box to box midfielder? That's not where his strength lies of course in that traditional 8 role. https://www.transfermarkt.com/florin-berenguer/profil/spieler/111040.

Off topic a little; I'm still of the opinion that the City sytem (just like in Manchester) doesn't use a traditional number 8. We use a 6 (DM) and two forward facing midfielders, one left (Metcalf/Berenguer) and one right (Luna/Bereguer). These midfielders are instructed to make forward runs in the box one at the time and most often when our full backs invert.

One of our players described Berenguer  as an 8 at one point. So that’s my reference, plus I reckon it’s where he plays for us, it’s not really a 10 role (as you note).

It was also clearly where he played before he joined us (someone posted a position chart in his thread).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

One of our players described Berenguer  as an 8 at one point. So that’s my reference, plus I reckon it’s where he plays for us, it’s not really a 10 role (as you note).

It was also clearly where he played before he joined us (someone posted a position chart in his thread).

Correct we don’t have a designated number 10 either. The old football system doesn’t apply to us!! According to the internet statistics, check transfer market link, he’s not often to be found in CM at his previous clubs.

The heatmap is also a good indicator however with our system however it can be a little deceiving. If our left side has more possession meaning our left midfielder makes more forward runs the second midfielder stays back a little - that doesn’t mean he’s an 8, it’s the way the game flows. Anyway that’s just the way I view our system. Depending on the opponent we will adjust as well. I see many similarities with Manchester before Pep adjusted this year. DeBruyne and David Silva played those roles.

It's not a coincidence that Metcalf mostly hangs out towards the left and Luna to the right. During a press we let mostly Luna do the most work as he has the engine.

Edited by Mr MO

18 minutes ago, Nate said:

Arzani and Najjarine are not even in the same conversation imo. 

One made 3 appearances in the 2018 World Cup, the other is on loan at Newcastle.

Arzani has not played for two years. Further, you make it sound as though Najjarine is on loan because we don't want him, or is NBG. It's the opposite - he's still our player and we have loaned him to a club less well endowed with players to get more match time. Despite his injuries he's played in 14 matches with 12 starts.

Arzani was an outstanding player in 2018. Since then he's had an ACL injury and hasn't played. IMO there are valid questions to be asked about him. I hope that the answers are very positive, but that doesn't mean that those questions should not be asked.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Correct we don’t have a designated number 10 either. The old football system doesn’t apply to us!! According to the internet statistics, check transfer market link, he’s not often to be found in CM at his previous clubs.

The heatmap is also a good indicator however with our system however it can be a little deceiving. If our left side has more possession meaning our left midfielder makes more forward runs the second midfielder stays back a little - that doesn’t mean he’s an 8, it’s the way the game flows. Anyway that’s just the way I view our system. Depending on the opponent we will adjust as well. I see many similarities with Manchester before Pep adjusted this year. DeBruyne and David Silva played those roles.

It's not a coincidence that Metcalf mostly hangs out towards the left and Luna to the right. During a press we let mostly Luna do the most work as he has the engine.

We play with two 8s and a 6. That’s always how I’ve seen it and probably always will. Although interestingly enough Buckingham talked about the 8s group of players as 10s in a press conference last week. So there you go.

Anyway, how we categorise players as numbers/positions/roles can become a little pointless and restrictive. At the end of the day a player is a player and sometimes it makes more sense to just look at them as each providing something different/unique. Jamieson is a defender but also a midfielder these days. Metcalfe has a better goal scoring instinct than some strikers in this league but has also picked up the 6 role pretty well. Just when we pigeon hole players they surprise us and adapt.

It’s a fascinating topic that can become pretty complex and theoretical. But it can also be mindlessly simple. I guess it just depends how you look at it. Don’t know what point I’m trying to make anymore…isn’t football great?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Harrison said:

We play with two 8s and a 6. That’s always how I’ve seen it and probably always will. Although interestingly enough Buckingham talked about the 8s group of players as 10s in a press conference last week. So there you go.

Anyway, how we categorise players as numbers/positions/roles can become a little pointless and restrictive. At the end of the day a player is a player and sometimes it makes more sense to just look at them as each providing something different/unique. Jamieson is a defender but also a midfielder these days. Metcalfe has a better goal scoring instinct than some strikers in this league but has also picked up the 6 role pretty well. Just when we pigeon hole players they surprise us and adapt.

It’s a fascinating topic that can become pretty complex and theoretical. But it can also be mindlessly simple. I guess it just depends how you look at it. Don’t know what point I’m trying to make anymore…isn’t football great?

Agree I love thinking or talking about it!

You are spot on with 2x number 8s as 2x 10s sounds too attacking - however it’s not the traditional box to box 8 role we use. Another way of looking at it, is depending on the possession, one midfielder acts more as a 10 whilst the other drops in the 8 position and this rotates as the game flows. So we are all right and that ties in with Buckinghams comments.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Agree I love thinking or talking about it!

You are spot on with 2x number 8s as 2x 10s sounds too attacking - however it’s not the traditional box to box 8 role we use. Another way of looking at it, is depending on the possession, one midfielder acts more as a 10 whilst the other drops in the 8 position and this rotates as the game flows. So we are all right and that ties in with Buckinghams comments.

(Sigh) Funny how that's the way the inside-right and inside-left used to play 60 years ago...

• Like 1