Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Crikey that’s a good story.

Young Ruon had the physic and the skills but lacked “the brain” (don’t mean actual stupid, more football “stupid/naive”). He seemed destined for football oblivion, despite all he had going for him.

Meeting his neighbour at the age he did with his set backs he’s had was probably perfect timing. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Crikey that’s a good story.

Young Ruon had the physic and the skills but lacked “the brain” (don’t mean actual stupid, more football “stupid/naive”). He seemed destined for football oblivion, despite all he had going for him.

Meeting his neighbour at the age he did with his set backs he’s had was probably perfect timing. 

I think that there's a message in there for many football clubs and many young players. As a young player it's not just about the development of your natural football skills - it's about developing your football while you're developing as a person. If not enough focus on the latter, then the former won't happen.

• Like 2

These are players at another aleague club who are playing significant minutes at the moment 

WU - Pierias, Wales

SYD - Redmayne, Wilkinson, Zullo, Retre, Brattan, Caceras

MAC - Najjar, Susaeta, Genreau

NEW - Najjarine, Hoffman

CCM - Birighitti, Tongyik, Clisby, Bozanic

PER - Fornaroli, Kilkenny

ADE - Mauk, Dukuly, Delianov, Marrone, Jakobsen

I don't think Wellington, Victory, WSW or Brisbane have anyone of significance 

Still that is a shitload of players we have got rid of, be nice if we could get a squad to stick together so we don't have this constant ex City factory for other clubs 

1 hour ago, neio said:

These are players at another aleague club who are playing significant minutes at the moment 

WU - Pierias, Wales

NEW - Najjarine, Hoffman

Still that is a shitload of players we have got rid of, be nice if we could get a squad to stick together so we don't have this constant ex City factory for other clubs 

Tbf this season compared to last is probably our highest retention rate and hopefully it will be similar in seasons to come.

Edited by Jovan
Unless they are all completely shit and can GTFO.
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

Tbf this season compared to last is probably our highest retention rate and hopefully it will be similar in seasons to come.

I actually don’t have a big problem with player turnover at our club. I mean retention for the sake of retention to create consistency even when some players are clearly not up to it is also not right.

I’m more frustrated with the fact that some players are clearly good footballers, even we could see that - we let them walk out the door for a variety of reasons with either City not recognising the talent or personal reasons.

For me,  Kilkenny is the one we let go way to easily due to a stupid dispute, he could have been a pivotal city player for years to come.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, neio said:

WU - Pierias, Wales

NEW - Najjarine, Hoffman

In all fairness, many of those players were at other clubs before us... And others were just kids.

Swings and roundabouts for this league.

45 minutes ago, rass said:

In all fairness, many of those players were at other clubs before us... And others were just kids.

Swings and roundabouts for this league.

I suspect you could assemble similar lists for a lot of A League clubs. There's a lot of players who have churned around several clubs. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, neio said:

WU - Pierias, Wales

NEW - Najjarine, Hoffman

OK, so let's go through this list. IMHO:

Pierias, yes, difficult decision, but how many young full backs can you fit under the cap? Probably a choice between him and Atkinson as to who we kept. 

Wales, wasn't good enough. 

Redmayne, see Wales. 

Wilkinson, never wanted to stay. Always wanted to be in Sydney. 

Zullo, yeah, nah, not that good. We've got better. 

Retre, showed little for us, fringe player. 

Brattan, effectively swapped for an equally good player. 

Caceras, lots of potential, but never really showed enough of it for us. At the time, I wouldn't have kept him either. 

Najjar, sent out on loan to get experience. If he's any good we still hold his registration. 

Susaeta, apparently homesick, which might have explained his mediocre form. Come back for the bucks at the Bulls. Certainly didn't want to be with us. 

Genreau, rated him, but he wanted away. One of the few that I'd like to have kept. 

Najjarine, see Najjar. 

Hoffman, journeyman. Cult hero but wouldn't get into our current team in merit. 

Birighitti, yes, should have been played more for us. Good luck to him. 

Tongyik, youngster with promise, but raw and not really good enough when he left us. These days would maybe have been loaned out. 

Clisby, wasn't honestly very good when he was with us. 

Bozanic, largely forgettable. No great loss. 

Fornaroli, fell out big time. Substantially his fault by the sound of it. And his replacement is better. 

Kilkenny, fell out, can't be arsed to remember why. Yes, he's a decent player but a bit of a gobby troll. 

Mauk, meh, never convinced, always wanted to be at Adelaide anyway. 

Dukuly, homesick, wanted to go home to Adelaide.

Delianov, decent enough but unlikely to be our first pick. Again, good luck to him. 

Marrone, who? Must be ancient history because I don't even remember him. 

Jakobsen, yes, good player, but injury prone with us. Replacements have been as good or better. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Pierias, yes, difficult decision, but how many young full backs can you fit under the cap? Probably a choice between him and Atkinson as to who we kept. 

Redmayne, see Wales. 

Caceras, lots of potential, but never really showed enough of it for us. At the time, I wouldn't have kept him either. 

Najjar, sent out on loan to get experience. If he's any good we still hold his registration. 

Susaeta, apparently homesick, which might have explained his mediocre form. Come back for the bucks at the Bulls. Certainly didn't want to be with us. 

Genreau, rated him, but he wanted away. One of the few that I'd like to have kept. 

Najjarine, see Najjar. 

Tongyik, youngster with promise, but raw and not really good enough when he left us. These days would maybe have been loaned out. 

Fornaroli, fell out big time. Substantially his fault by the sound of it. And his replacement is better. 

Kilkenny, fell out, can't be arsed to remember why. Yes, he's a decent player but a bit of a gobby troll. 

Delianov, decent enough but unlikely to be our first pick. Again, good luck to him. 

Jakobsen, yes, good player, but injury prone with us. Replacements have been as good or better. 

I actually agree with most of this, I wasn't saying that we made loads of terrible choices. I more found it interesting that the amount of players we have around the league that were ours, I doubt there would be many clubs with a higher number 

13 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Redmayne, see Wales. 

Najjarine, see Najjar. 

Fairly close to my own thoughts.

The ones I regret are:

Genreau, because I like that style of footballer. And I put Caceres into that category, but wasn't his wife playing in Sydney when he left us?
Retre - I thought he always did the job for us when he came on, and IIRC he was played in just about every position except GK? Clearly Arnold thought the same.

Other comments:
Fornaroli and Kilkenny - whoever was at fault, should never have got to the stand-off positions that they did. Reflects poorly on our people management.
Birighitti and Delianov I put down more to the club's obsession with Bouzanis than anything else - both were adequate but the position of "second GK" is an unenviable one.
Heart actually signed Michael Marrone from Adelaide, and later we sold him to Shanghai Shenxin, so we can hardly complain that he's been back at Adelaide since leaving China. Started that memorable move that lead to Alex Terra's winner in the first ever Derby.

• Thanks 1

Other than losing Fornaroli, Birraz and Kilkenny due to Joyce my main issue is our inability to build a club culture by keeping players at the club long term. Clisby and Retre are perfect examples of guys who could play a number of roles in the squad and weren't gonna take a big chunk of the cap who we allowed to move on. Hopefully we can build a culture around Maclaren, Good, Metcalfe, Garruccio, Atkinson, etc. instead of having players around 2-3 seasons and then moving them on.

• Like 1

Kilkenny's one of those players whom you love when he's on your team or you hate when he's an opponent. Mauk, on the other hand, I didn't even like when he was wearing our colours. Not a terrible player, but just a grub with no class. I can't think of an ex-Heart/City player I loathe more. Sick of seeing him in the A-League: I wish he'd piss off back to Europe, but he isn't good enough.

Kilkenny gave us everything he had, I'll back him any day and I was delighted that last night played out the way it did.

Edited by SF33
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, SF33 said:

Kilkenny's one of those players whom you love when he's on your team or you hate when he's an opponent. Mauk, on the other hand, I didn't even like when he was wearing our colours. Not a terrible player, but just a grub with no class. I can't think of an ex-Heart/City player I loathe more. Sick of seeing him in the A-League: I wish he'd piss off back to Europe, but he isn't good enough.

Kilkenny gave us everything he had, I'll back him any day and I was delighted that last night played out the way it did.

Mauk is FIGJAM personified.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Nate said:

Mauk is FIGJAM personified.

I mean, to do that on the sidelines during a half time interview... yikes.

Even Adelaide people... that's what you want from your captain in a national league? Could Adelaide find anyone less professional to lead their squad?

Mauk may as well have stuck his tongue out at Killer and gone "ner ner ne ner ner" like an eight year old. He isn't fit to tie Kilkenny's boots.

I get that as a rule any former player that plays well or improves when he leaves us it's a failing by us for letting him go, it's one of those unwritten rules from supporters that is almost soley based on emotional perspective, and FWIW I feel exactly the same. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Think we missed a trick with Dylan Pierias. He's just scored another beauty for WU. 

He's just another one. There's quite a list. In the 7th season since the takeover we ought to have several Academy graduates starting in the City team.