Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

21 hours ago, jeffplz said:

Can't believe how far Jacob Melling has fallen

He hasn't fallen at all, he was a pretty average player for us. He worked hard and did some hard tackles but that's about it. Absolutely terrible when he has the ball

I also think that he was a fan favourite cause he elbowed Broxham 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Tommy Sorensen completed the 3 Peaks ride in the Victorian Alps yesterday: under 10 hours for a loop that starts at the top of Falls Creek, descends to Mt Beauty, over Tawonga Gap, up Hotham, down through Omeo and up the Falls back Road.

What a legend.

53 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

What a legend.

I would have said Tommy was a certainty to be employed somewhere in CFG when he retired, but after spending almost the whole of his last season on the City bench, and at least starting on some coaching qualifications, nothing ever transpired. I've often wondered why, and whether he upset someone in CFG - doesn't seem to be all that hard to do. What a loss to the game - and to our club.

18 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I would have said Tommy was a certainty to be employed somewhere in CFG when he retired, but after spending almost the whole of his last season on the City bench, and at least starting on some coaching qualifications, nothing ever transpired. I've often wondered why, and whether he upset someone in CFG - doesn't seem to be all that hard to do. What a loss to the game - and to our club.

Maybe he just wants other things from life right now. He seems quite happy with what he's doing.

52 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

As far as I knew he was employed as an ambassador. Also employed by Fox for commentary part time. Probably did piss someone off but enjoys his families life in Aus!

55 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Always said he wanted time out from the game to enjoy family life

10 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

As far as I knew he was employed as an ambassador. Also employed by Fox for commentary part time. Probably did piss someone off but enjoys his families life in Aus!

IMO he is one of the best pundits on FOX right now. Not very hard to achieve though

3 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

How we let him go to this day just baffles my mind

Agreed. Bloke is a rolls Royce.

I swear he is ALWAYS in the right position on the pitch and every game is a “how to play midfield “ tutorial. (Yet Wazza would play Jacobsen in midfield ahead of him, enough said).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tommykins said:

I really, really liked Killa when he played at City, but I never really saw him taking his game to this level. I think having Brattan has meant that he never got the chance to show what he has at Perth, did anyone think he had the capability to be this good? 

He won our player of the year then was binned the next year. If played consistently would have no doubt reached the level he is at now. Just another player wazza has denied the opportunity of getting the best out of. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck to him. He's found his level and that's not a bad thing.

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/ramsay-im-loving-my-asian-journey-523177

RAMSAY: I'M LOVING MY ASIAN JOURNEY

Filipino-Australian winger Iain Ramsay has become a journeyman throughout Asia and hasn’t regretted the decision since leaving the A-League in 2015.

The 31-year-old left Melbourne City and went embarked on a journey for Iran’s Tractor Sazi, the Philippines’ Ceres-Negros and Malaysia’s Felda United.

He now finds himself in provincial Thailand, representing Sukhothai FC as his team sit sixth on the table undefeated after five games.

Perth-born Ramsay has also represented the Philippines since 2015 and recently came back from the country’s inaugural Asian Cup appearance in the UAE.

He added he was enjoying his football in Thailand and the league had exceeded his expectations.

“When I left the A-League, I had the offer to go to Iran,” Ramsay told FTBL.

“I knew if I took that offer, I would have to ride out this Asian ride and to try play in Asia for as long as I can. It’s definitely a journey that’s for sure.

“Football is always up and down, but I’m enjoying the year so far. When you’re enjoying your football, that’s when you play your best, so I’m expecting a lot of good things to come this year.

“Where I play, it’s similar to playing in like a Coopers Stadium back in my Adelaide United days, it’s a boutique stadium, fans fill it out, it feels like they’re on top of you and they’re very vocal and passionate.

“I was surprised how much they love football in this city. We’ve got a decent side and we haven’t lost so far. There’s a lot of promising signs in our team and hopefully we go a long way this year.

“It’s another thing when you experience it first hand and you’re playing in it, the level is definitely high and they love to play proper football here. South-east Asia football is growing every year and the Thai league is getting stronger.”

Ramsay added the Thai national team was growing as a result of the league’s progression in the past years.

The winger said he could only envisage Asian football growing stronger every season.

“It basically comes down to money, they’re just pumping so much money into clubs, leagues and sponsorships,” he said.

“They can bring big players for big bucks in US dollars, it’s very hard for the A-League to compete with the salary cap. It’s no surprise that year-in and year-out that these leagues are getting stronger and stronger.”

He also added he was enjoying life in Thailand.

“The people here are friendly and are very accommodating. They make sure everything’s OK and you’re settling in fine,” Ramsay said.

“Thai people are pleasant people and they’re respectful. Since I’ve signed in Sukhothai, the transition of moving countries wasn’t hard at all. I came here straight after the Asian Cup and I’ve been enjoying my football ever since.

“Thai people are all about respect and I think as a foreigner, as long as you come into a new country, you respect their culture, you keep your head down and work hard, then you shouldn’t have too many problems.”

Ramsay is still on top of the world after his first major international campaign at the Asian Cup, but admits it was a bitter pill to swallow after losing all three games.

The Azkals played Korea Republic, China PR and Kyrgyzstan and left the tournament with just one goal scored by Stephan Schrock.

“Obviously South Korea are more than a decent team and then we played China, but to be honest, when we played Kyrgyzstan, it was disappointing not to come away with anything from that game,” Ramsay said.

“We played them twice previously and beat them both times, but to play them in the Asian Cup and to lose the way we did. It was a bit disappointing because out of the three teams we played, it was the team we were most likely to pick up some points against.

“The tournament is done now and that experience was second-to-none. All in all, it was an enjoyable tournament. That last game we should’ve got something for sure.”

Ramsay also praised Filipino goalkeeper Michael Falkesgaard after replacing Neil Etheridge, who stayed with Premier League side Cardiff City during the Asian Cup.

Falkesgaard is half Danish and is also in Thai League 1 playing for Bangkok United.

“Michael did remarkably well to be honest with you,” he added.

“Filling Neil’s shoes wasn’t an easy task and he’s playing at Cardiff and worked so hard with the national team to get us to the Asian Cup.

“To miss out is understandable because he’s playing in the best league in the world and they’re going through a hard time at the moment, so they definitely need him. Michael came in and did really well.

“He’s a confident keeper and is very good with both feet. We’re five games into our league, but he’s already made a bit of a name for himself. If he keeps going the way he’s going, he’ll definitely have a long career in Asia that’s for sure.”

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

The club revealed Eric Bautheac, Eli Babalj, Joe Caletti, Charles Lokoli-Ngoy, Alex Lopez, Tobias Mikkelsen, Stefan Nigro and Ruon Tongyik won't return next season either

The Covert Agent can reveal Wanderers attacker Nick Fitzgerald has been approached by the Mariners and is eager to return to the club where he began his A-League career.

8 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

The club revealed Eric Bautheac, Eli Babalj, Joe Caletti, Charles Lokoli-Ngoy, Alex Lopez, Tobias Mikkelsen, Stefan Nigro and Ruon Tongyik won't return next season either

The Covert Agent can reveal Wanderers attacker Nick Fitzgerald has been approached by the Mariners and is eager to return to the club where he began his A-League career.

Ruons 4th club and only 22

Reading somewhere else Fitzy is on a 3 year deal at wsw and Babbel wants him gone, supposedly $$ is the sticking point 

Also https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/milicic-the-man-to-lead-south-west-sydney-into-a-league

Edited by HughJass