Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

On 11/17/2017 at 1:28 PM, thisphantomfortress said:

http://www.planetfootball.com/in-depth/drying-kit-sun-europe-thomas-sorensen-stoke-journey/

Article about Tommys time at stoke. Touches on city a little at the end

I think one of my saddest memories of football is seeing Tommy end his career sitting on the bench for Melbourne City. After such an illustrious career, couldn't we have done better then that? If not a testimonial match, even a lap of honour would have been a way we could have said "thank you."

• Like 2

On 17/11/2017 at 1:28 PM, thisphantomfortress said:

http://www.planetfootball.com/in-depth/drying-kit-sun-europe-thomas-sorensen-stoke-journey/

Article about Tommys time at stoke. Touches on city a little at the end

Thatā€™s a great story about Tommy. Certainly the sort of character you need to have around the club and as a mentor to the younger players.

• 3 weeks later...

I was at some bar in San Miguel De Tucuman having an overpriced beer/sandwich and a Boca gameĀ was on the TV in the backround. Within about 10Ā minutes of watching Boca copped a goal against some team in blue and the guy who scored looked familiar... Of course it wasĀ Colazo. Continued to watch the game and he was playing like a completely different player. Confident as fuck, screaming his head off andĀ going in hard for the ball... which he never did once at city.Ā Got me thinking about our imports over the years and I figured out a little pattern.Ā 

When you moveĀ to another country its obviously tough adjusting to the language/culture/football style however that can depend on your personality. The quiet subdued type guys like Colazo/Tadic/Koren/Budzinski seem to suffer a lot and seemly play different to how they would back home. However others have shown that their balls out attitude tends to overcome any anxiety or confidence issues that comes with a international transfer... Eg. Engelaar/Novillo/Bruno and now Bort.Ā 

Conclusion being, if you're gonna sign aĀ foreigner make sure his a bit of aĀ cunt. Seriously. We should look into not only football ability but a blokes confidence inĀ his day to day life. Psychologist and body language expert would be able to sort that out.Ā 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Chris p said:

Because we've lost aĀ valuable striker ?Ā 

Because he had rumoursĀ about him being a future star?

Looked a great strategic recruit butĀ suddenly heā€™s gone. Hard to see why when youā€™re an outsider but right now Iā€™ve just added this to Wazzas list of fuckups (which needs writing down, getting too long to remember)

• Like 2

Roberts is 16 or just turned 17. He was born in Sierra Leone and came to Australia as a refugee aged 8. He was spotted as a 13-y-o playing for Mt. Druitt in western Sydney. It can be difficult being a young lad away from "home" and family, and my guess is that that's why he has gone back to western Sydney and WSW.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Roberts is 16 or just turned 17. He was born in Sierra Leone and came to Australia as a refugee aged 8. He was spotted as a 13-y-o playing for Mt. Druitt in western Sydney. It can be difficult being a young lad away from "home" and family, and my guess is that that's why he has gone back to western Sydney and WSW.

Thanks jw. In the circumstances that makes a lot of sense!

44 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

No doubt he is chasing game time