Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

Madaschi to boost Perth SC

Perth SC have pulled off a recruiting coup by signing former Socceroos defender Adrian Madaschi.

The 31-year-old will line up for Perth against Stirling Lions in the National Premier Leagues WA fixture on Sunday.

Madaschi left Perth as a teenager to join Italian club Atalanta and spent more than a decade in Europe before returning to play in the A-League with Melbourne Heart.

He then spent a year in South Korea with Jeju United before returning home to WA late last year.

Madaschi trained with Perth Glory in the second half of the 2013-14 season in the hope of securing another A-League contract, but was overlooked.

He has now completed a full circle by returning to Perth SC, where he played his junior football.

Perth SC president Gary Marocchi said Madaschi’s signing was not only a coup for the club, but for the NPL WA competition.

“Adrian is an elite professional and an outstanding defender, and to have a player of his calibre running around in our competition is a major boost for the NPL,” Marocchi said.

“We welcome Adrian back home to Dorrien Gardens and I look forward to seeing him once again in a Perth SC shirt after all of these years.”

Perth SC coach Taki Nicolaidis said Madaschi’s signing would provide the first-team squad with a significant boost.

“Having an ex-Socceroo come into our squad speaks volumes about our club and where we want to head,” Nicolaidis said.

“Adrian’s experience will not only help strengthen our squad but he will also be able to pass on his knowledge and help the development of the younger players at our club.”

The Perth-Stirling fixture will be the inaugural Dylan Tombides Tribute Match.

The match has been named in honour of Tombides, who passed away from testicular cancer last month at the age of 20.

The teams will play for the Dylan Tombides Trophy each year on a home and away basis, with the winner to be determined on aggregate.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/23537983/madaschi-to-boost-perth-sc/

Easily the best defender to have ever pulled on a Melbourne Heart shirt. Kisnorbo & Madaschi in the heart of the defence needs to happen.

It looks to me like he wants to settle down in Perth to me... which is pretty common for West Australian Athletes when they reach a certain age.

Otherwise he would have trailed with other A-League clubs or chased money and exposure to A-League clubs here or in Sydney in the NPL. (Perth Italia are the biggest club over there but I am sure he would get better money from a NPL club in the east.)

Edited by cadete

NIKE VLP Rd. 7 Review: Former Melbourne Heart star makes league debut as Vipers cheat death!

Posted on 18 May 2014

5A6W0787-1024x701.jpg

Vic Vipers Futsal Club (6th) 4 – 3 (7th) Mickleham Futsal Club 

VV: A. Cooper 2, Jas. Barrientos, M. Avram

MICK: I. Filipovic 2, D. Iacovissi

The final game for Round 7 saw the Vic vipers who were looking to get their title defence back on track against a resurgent Mickleham who had seemed to be embracing their new signings. On the topic of new signings, the Vipers were happy to announce that they had secured the services of former Melbourne Heart winger Adrian Zahra, which was quite an exciting coup for the NIKE VLP. [...]

http://futsaloz.com.au/2014/05/18/nike-vlp-rd-7-review-former-melbourne-heart-star-makes-league-debut-as-vipers-cheat-death/

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Adrian Zahra joins Valletta FC

Australian born winger Adrian Zahra has a signed a two-year deal with Valletta F.C.

Adrian started his career with Melbourne Nights in 2007. He made a total of 45 appearances and scored two goals. In season 2009-2010, Adrian was on loan with Western Suburbs. During the next season the Australian winger signed a contract with Melbourne Heart and made his debut in October 2010.

Adrian left Melbourne Heart and joined Perth Glory on 27 April 2012, making a total of 18 appearance and scoring three goals.

On behalf of the Valletta club’s official website, we welcome Adrian in our club and wish him the very best of luck for his stay with our team.

http://www.vallettafc.net/news/adrian-zahra-joins-valletta-fc

Last season's Maltese Premier League champions (and regular winners of the Maltese Premier League).

Wish him all the best. Maybe it'll turn out to be a pretty good move, as he's now in Europe (even though he's in one of Europe's fringe leagues).

It's still tragic to think how that injury must have set his career back (moving to Perth wasn't a smart move for a youth player as well, even though he signed up when Edwards was the coach). There's a special circle in hell just for Kevin Muscat.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 3

Murfy1, from all your posts you clearly put in a lot of effort to keep up to speed with developments on all things heart/city and I for one appreciate your efforts in posting this info. Thank you

Best poster on the forum imo

Cheers

Although I should say I don't think it takes much effort to keep up to date with the developments of the club (especially with the news being a little lean at the moment). And I'm happy to follow what's happening at the club, and then it's easy to post info/content here (the website has been very well put together by others).

I reckon Zahra will star in Malta and show Mifsud how it's done. He'll be a giant in Maltese football in many senses 

Cheers

Although I should say I don't think it takes much effort to keep up to date with the developments of the club (especially with the news being a little lean at the moment). And I'm happy to follow what's happening at the club, and then it's easy to post info/content here (the website has been very well put together by others).

I reckon Zahra will star in Malta and show Mifsud how it's done. He'll be a giant in Maltese football in many senses

Mifsud scores at a rate of almost a goal a game in that league, Zahra will be fine :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Is the Konstandinidis at right back the kid that trialled for us against Ballarat?

Billy? Striker. Trialled with us last year.

In the link below, it has the NPLV team of the week with Walker at left back and Konstandinidis at right back - is it Billy the Striker?

Jeremy Walker has signed for Hume City, and is already making the NPLV Team of the Week: http://www.humecityfc.com/news.php?id=374

Nah tall striker. Miller was at right back late second half I think?

Matt Miller, wasn't it BT? Heard he can play.

Actually think it might have been Matt Millar now that I think about it.

Despite the unfortunate name, yeh he's got a bit of toe.

I don't really know a lot about the lower tiers of football in Victoria/Australia, for guys like Walker and Vrankovic are they a good chance to make it back to the A-League at some stage down the track, or is that pretty much it for them?

Unfortunately with only 10 teams with 23 spots on a roster of which 5 are usually filled by foreigners there is very slim chance for guys who don't qualify for the youth team to get a look in from State League level. A lot of players with A-League experience are recycled despite offering very little (Nick Ward, Isaka Cernak, Justin Pasfield, etc)

There are plenty of decent players at State League level, but it comes down to lack of scouting or clubs unwilling to take a risk on players unproven at A-League level. Hopefully expansion to 12 teams comes soon so guys like Vranks, Walker, Zahra, etc have a better chance of getting picked up and developing to their maximum potential.

The only player that comes to mind is Newcastle's Craig Goodwin. He started at Adelaide United Youth Team and got delisted. He then came to Melbourne where he played for Oakleigh and got spotted by Heart where he got a Youth contract. At the time due to injuries and international selections Heart got depleted and Goodwin got selected for is first senior game and got MOTM - IIRC he almost singlehandledly won the game for Heart. At season's end Newcastle came a knocking and has been there ever since.