Melbourne Football

The Australia Cup (formerly the FFA Cup)

MHFC-FAN

Isn't that only for next season because of the Asian Cup?

It's still all been scheduled pretty poorly imo, it's going to be hard for the FFA Cup to garner heavy support with difficult timeslots and a silly format.

It's still all been scheduled pretty poorly imo, it's going to be hard for the FFA Cup to garner heavy support with difficult timeslots and a silly format.

Of course, but I am thinking the scheduling will get better next time around.

I hope so! And I really hope they make the format just like the FA Cup, no pots please.

I hope so! And I really hope they make the format just like the FA Cup, no pots please.

Absolutely. I really can't see the supporters of A-League clubs getting enthused over this. Trudging off to some cow-paddock with crappy floodlights on a Tuesday or Wednesday night.

Absolutely. I really can't see the supporters of A-League clubs getting enthused over this. Trudging off to some cow-paddock with crappy floodlights on a Tuesday or Wednesday night.

Sounds awesome to me. 

• Like 1

Sounds awesome to me. 

If it was on a weekend, I'd be all in!

...nonetheless, I'll probs be all in regardless ahaha

I'd go to some cow paddock any day of the week over etihad stadium.

Cup Final on a weeknight, jeeeeeeeeeeeeez

Bizarre.

Can only think it'll be like the time they started the A league season before the other codes have finished.  They are doing so when they move it to the weekend and they get a bigger crowd, they can put out an announcement about how clever they are.

• Like 1

Sounds awesome to me.

If it was on a weekend, I'd be all in!

...nonetheless, I'll probs be all in regardless ahahaSo am I and I can think of at least 40 other Supporters...

Edited by cadete

There were a few blow-outs in the last round which was a bit surprising. Obviously I'm disappointed with the Preston result , but it's good to see some of the old NSL clubs making a mark. SMFC are going to be hard to beat, they are in cracking form at the moment.

Edited by MKD

I only want South Melbourne to get through so we can annihilate them :P

More accurateThe key word here being - chance.

Dont count your chickens just yet lads. You're right.....I removed the offending word, it's fixed

Edited by Jestr

Have you watched much state league football in your time to realise the gap in standard really isnt as big as some may think?

I would expect heart to win if the game was played tomorrow, but taking form into consideration, heart last by a fair way in a league, hellas 8 from 8 sitting on top of ladder, to say heart would annihilate them reeks of the same sort of arrogance one would expect from a mong.

Have you watched much state league football in your time to realise the gap in standard really isnt as big as some may think?

I would expect heart to win if the game was played tomorrow, but taking form into consideration, heart last by a fair way in a league, hellas 8 from 8 sitting on top of ladder, to say heart would annihilate them reeks of the same sort of arrogance one would expect from a mong.

Top State league teams would give many a league teams a hard time when in good form, I'm very aware of it

However I was hoping for a reaction from more then 1 Hellas supported...Looks like I've failed :)

Still it was funny being compared to a mong ;)

Cheers!

• Like 1

Top State league teams would give many a league teams a hard time when in good form, I'm very aware of it

However I was hoping for a reaction from more then 1 Hellas supported...Looks like I've failed :)

Cheers! I have to disagree despite wishing it was the opposite...

The State League gets further and further away from the A-League every Season... most notably in the poor quality of defending on display. Five years ago it was a lot closer than it is now... even a bad A-League club if taking on a top NPL side in a serious competition would still beat them 4 out 5 times.

I say this from watching a variety of VPL, SL1 and even a few NSWPL games over the past few years.

• Like 1

Cheers! I have to disagree despite wishing it was the opposite...

The State League gets further and further away from the A-League every Season... most notably in the poor quality of defending on display. Five years ago it was a lot closer than it is now... even a bad A-League club if taking on a top NPL side in a serious competition would still beat them 4 out 5 times.

I say this from watching a variety of VPL, SL1 and even a few NSWPL games over the past few years. Hence my comment referred to top NPL team in TOP form only giving A league team a hard time, not necessarily defeating them.

Different class (more like level) not to mention a league hasn't been flooded by exploding waves of talent coming out of NPL either.

• 2 weeks later...

Hume city, South Melbourne, Northcote and state league 1 side South Springvale are one win away from qualification now.

Still 8 sides left to play this round, would love to see Sunbury make it.

Real pity the draw is rigged and we have about 0% chance of playing any of these sides. 

Quarter final draw:

South Melbourne vs Green Gully or Knights

Hume City vs South Springvale

Northcote V St Albans or Eastern Lions

Richmond or Sunbury vs Bulleen Lions or Bentleigh Greens

The four winners will play in the FFA cup. 

I wonder if the "Stasi Boys" or the "Doner Knife 12" will hit road to support their respective sides? :hmm:

Interesting to see how serious were going to take this as an organization. We'll be playing on either the 5th or 12th of August this year (either home or away), against Newcastle, Sydney, Wellington, Adelaide or Perth.

On the 5th of August last year we'd had a friendly against Shepparton, and hadn't even got around to spanking the Latrobe XI.

Interesting to see how serious were going to take this as an organization. We'll be playing on either the 5th or 12th of August this year (either home or away), against Newcastle, Sydney, Wellington, Adelaide or Perth.

On the 5th of August last year we'd had a friendly against Shepparton, and hadn't even got around to spanking the Latrobe XI.

Some of the stories I have heard from the way different NPL teams have treated the comp have been pretty disapointing...

The FFA needs to give the Winner a ACL spot so club's treat this as something they really want to win.

Some of the stories I have heard from the way different NPL teams have treated the comp have been pretty disapointing...

The FFA needs to give the Winner a ACL spot so club's treat this as something they really want to win.

Don't know what clubs you've been hearing from, but I know for a fact the Knights main focus is getting getting to the final 32 of the Cup, not the league, believe it or not.

Don't know what clubs you've been hearing from, but I know for a fact the Knights main focus is getting getting to the final 32 of the Cup, not the league, believe it or not. I can second that post from the hellas camp. Although sitting on top of the league table, we arent taking focus off that either

• jw1739 changed the title to The Australia Cup (formerly the FFA Cup)
  • jw1739 pinned this topic