Melbourne Football

The Australia Cup (formerly the FFA Cup)

MHFC-FAN

Interesting to see how serious were going to take this as an organization. We'll be playing on either the 5th or 12th of August this year (either home or away), against Newcastle, Sydney, Wellington, Adelaide or Perth.

On the 5th of August last year we'd had a friendly against Shepparton, and hadn't even got around to spanking the Latrobe XI.

Some of the stories I have heard from the way different NPL teams have treated the comp have been pretty disapointing...

The FFA needs to give the Winner a ACL spot so club's treat this as something they really want to win.

Are you certain that it's FFA that determines eligibility for the ACL? I thought that was the prerogative of the AFC?

In terms of Heart and the other A-League franchises I would have my doubts over their real interest in the FFA Cup as it stands at the moment. As I read it, unless you're a bottom six club that gets a home match first up you're going to be playing away from home for most matches, and you probably won't have your full squad together with visa and marquee players for the first couple of matches. Poor old Wellington don't get a home match at all.

Interesting to see how serious were going to take this as an organization. We'll be playing on either the 5th or 12th of August this year (either home or away), against Newcastle, Sydney, Wellington, Adelaide or Perth.

On the 5th of August last year we'd had a friendly against Shepparton, and hadn't even got around to spanking the Latrobe XI.

Some of the stories I have heard from the way different NPL teams have treated the comp have been pretty disapointing...

The FFA needs to give the Winner a ACL spot so club's treat this as something they really want to win.

Are you certain that it's FFA that determines eligibility for the ACL? I thought that was the prerogative of the AFC?

In terms of Heart and the other A-League franchises I would have my doubts over their real interest in the FFA Cup as it stands at the moment. As I read it, unless you're a bottom six club that gets a home match first up you're going to be playing away from home for most matches, and you probably won't have your full squad together with visa and marquee players for the first couple of matches. Poor old Wellington don't get a home match at all.

I have heard that the Northern Fury coach wasn't even present when they lost a recent qualifer and that The Comp overall is not being taken that seriously by the NSWPL Champs: Sydney United.

Edited by cadete

I have heard that the Northern Fury coach wasn't even present when they lost a recent qualifer and that The Comp overall is not being taken that seriously by the NSWPL Champs: Sydney United. Rudan is Sydney United's manager and has said on fox sports that they are taking it very seriously. Probably why they are signing ex a-league players and more recently Kaz Patafta.

Edited by Tbitm

The FFA needs to give the Winner a ACL spot so club's treat this as something they really want to win. Are you certain that it's FFA that determines eligibility for the ACL? I thought that was the prerogative of the AFC?

In terms of Heart and the other A-League franchises I would have my doubts over their real interest in the FFA Cup as it stands at the moment. As I read it, unless you're a bottom six club that gets a home match first up you're going to be playing away from home for most matches, and you probably won't have your full squad together with visa and marquee players for the first couple of matches. Poor old Wellington don't get a home match at all. I have heard that the Northern Fury coach wasn't even present when they lost a recent qualifer and that The Comp overall is not being taken that seriously by the NSWPL Champs: Sydney United. Rudan is Sydney United's manager and has said on fox sports that they are taking it very seriously. Probably why they are signing ex a-league players and more recently Kaz Patafta.

Top NSWPL club's like Sydney United always sign used A-League players - I hardly think the FFA Cup is going to motivate a change in recruiting at Sydney United.

Agree on giving FFA Cup participants the incentive of a play-off spot in the ACL for the champion to increase the prestige of the competition, also a better format in future years to come should be a priority as well. 

I'm not aware of any details yet, but does anyone know whether the FFA Cup is being televised at all? 

• Like 1

Agree on giving FFA Cup participants the incentive of a play-off spot in the ACL for the champion to increase the prestige of the competition, also a better format in future years to come should be a priority as well.

I'm not aware of any details yet, but does anyone know whether the FFA Cup is being televised at all?

Something like half the games are on Fox sports

Could be more, and I'm pretty sure they're broadcasting the draw live. 

More of a reason to get as many of us to the games I guess.

its also probably hard to broadcast at most of the suburban grounds too. Although they managed Albury ok

Quarter final draw:

South Melbourne vs Green Gully or Knights

Hume City vs South Springvale

Northcote V St Albans or Eastern Lions

Richmond or Sunbury vs Bulleen Lions or Bentleigh Greens

The four winners will play in the FFA cup. 

I wonder if the "Stasi Boys" or the "Doner Knife 12" will hit road to support their respective sides? :hmm:

Can confirm the DKB12 will be there.

Thanks for the interest :up:

This could've been so cool but now it's going to be shit.

May I ask how?

By doing a random draw rather than this stupid bullshit pool thing they are doing. There's no chance now we'll play a second tier team now. Would've loved to go and watch a game at south melbourne or green gully. Now its just going to feel like we're playing pre-season game's.

Edited by kingofhearts

This could've been so cool but now it's going to be shit.

May I ask how?

By doing a random draw rather than this stupid bullshit pool thing they are doing. There's no chance now we'll play a second tier team now. Would've loved to go and watch a game at south melbourne or green gully. Now its just going to feel like we're playing pre-season game's. Yeh fair call

Quarter final draw:

I wonder if the "Stasi Boys" or the "Doner Knife 12" will hit road to support their respective sides? :hmm:

lol @ Doner knife dozen!! is it 12 individuals or 6 split personalities? 

Quarter final draw:

lol @ Doner knife dozen!! is it 12 individuals or 6 split personalities?

Neither. It's the number of wives each of us have :up:

• Like 1

Quarter final draw:

Sweet - Hopefully I will be able to see the DKB12 Banner you guys painted at the match. :up:

• Like 1

Quarter final draw:

Sweet - Hopefully I will be able to see the DKB12 Banner you guys painted at the match. :up:

No worries mate, we'll keep an eye out for your Papal flag from the other side of the ground icon_wave.gif

• Like 1

Isn't he like mid-40's? 

41 apparently haha. You know it will lift the side by default though, bunch of 18 - 20 somethings get to play with an ex footballroo and they will suddenly gain superpowers.

I got a mate who plays for South so i really want to see them win.

Yeah a strong side! They're top of the league at the moment by 3 points or so, but they unfortunately lost to Tilford in their league game last week. This Monday night they play Tilford again for their state cup final (ffa cup entry), so I guess coming off the back of a defeat to them, PLUS they have signed an ex socceroo, although he could be a warn out 41 year old, would still dampen spirits hey.

Dude i know is their striker, golden boot last season i believe for a different club.

Apparently the Hobart club Tilford Zebras have signed Steve Corica just for the finals match against South Hobart. Surely there has to be rules around signing a former socceroo on 1 match for this cup...

Went to this match today. South won 3-0. Good to see the states best side representing TAS in the FFA cup.

Corica played 60 minutes. Certainly showed his age.

Heard from a very reliable source that The Zebras actually initially approached Kewell to make this guest appearance. They just couldn't match his requested 15K fee. Corica cost 3K. Was ordinary, not worth the money.

• Like 1

Went to this match today. South won 3-0. Good to see the states best side representing TAS in the FFA cup.

Heard from a very reliable source that The Zebras actually initially approached Kewell to make this guest appearance. They just couldn't match his requested 15K fee. Corica cost 3K. Was ordinary, not worth the money.

Honestly, what were they thinking?

Ever since I saw Queensland play New South Wales, having flown in one Bryan Robson to have the honour of wearing the maroon (game was played at Perry Park in Brisbane, circa 1987 from memory) and Robson really making no difference, it dawned on me that 1 player makes stuff all difference to a football team.  Since that game I've seen it time and time again.  That player needs to fit in with the framework of the rest of the team and can really only play as well as his team mates let him.  Better to spend a grand each on three separate players.

Apparently the Hobart club Tilford Zebras have signed Steve Corica just for the finals match against South Hobart. Surely there has to be rules around signing a former socceroo on 1 match for this cup...

I live in Melb so was watching the feed online. Stoked on the result. Good to see Brayden with a goal and an assist. If they don't draw an A-League club i hope they get one of the Melbourne teams and fly over here for a match.

Here's the highlights from the South vs Zebras game. South Hobart go through to the FFA cup. 3 very tidy goals, a couple of nice saves from both keepers (1 from a penalty and 1 from a free just outside the box), and Steve Corica almost getting a tap in and hurting his hamstring haha. Good game!

EDIT: If people are wondering, the tards are the major sponsors for the Tassie league which is why you see so many Victory signs around the pitch.

Edited by Fingman
  • Like 1

• jw1739 changed the title to The Australia Cup (formerly the FFA Cup)
  • jw1739 pinned this topic