Melbourne Football

The Australia Cup (formerly the FFA Cup)

MHFC-FAN

FFS, looking at the draw again, they really are retards...

00043361-image.jpg

As well as the 3 "all A-League" matches In the 1st round, there will potentially be 2 more in the 2nd, another 2 in the 3rd round and 1 in the Semi's...

So potentially one state league team could make it all the way to the Semi's without actually facing ing HAL opposition.  :hmm:

Edit: Does this video go to shit for anyone else at ~1:57 http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/videos/all

Edited by LR9

Pot system is a joke.

Clearly the semi-pro sides are going to find it hard against A-League sides but that's the point of National Competitions. Semi-Pro teams knock off Professional sides in England more than occasionally (not to mention professional sides beating other pro sides who are 2-3 leagues above them) and the gulf in quality between a decent pro team and a semi-pro team is no greater over here than in England.

Semi-pro teams would get more serious exposure from drawing an A-League side early than they would from swatting other semi-pro sides into a semi-final and then getting rolled in my opinion, who's going to take that seriously?

Make it a random draw and let it run it's course, you're still going to get those fairy-tale scenarios if you do, and they'll be more epic when they come.

Edited by King Malta

does anyone know what system they use in the FA cup, that works brilliantly smaller clubs have a good chance of having a good cup run and then there are still good games between bigger clubs, this pot crap is just setting up for quite a few shit games, how is it far that one a-league club will play a state team in the semi finals and then another will have to face off against another HAL team, also how do the decide who host the final?

To be perfectly honest, I can see the FFA scrapping the whole 'pot' system once the competition itself is firmly on the ground and running after a couple of seasons with it.

The whole idea, as many have said, is to get grassroots clubs involved - wouldn't be too much incentive for them to compete in it if it's just a-league clubs making it to the latter stages. The pot system is to ensure that lower level teams actually want to compete in it.

EDIT: Only thing i'm relatively upset about the whole pot/draw system is that it might be a while before we have a derby in the cup or play south melbourne

Edited by Blosstradamus

EDIT: Only thing i'm relatively upset about the whole pot/draw system is that it might be a while before we have a derby in the cup or play south melbourne

I'd say a Derby is more likely to occur this way, with HAL clubs being pitted against each other more often.

Also, what's with this fascination of facing off with South? I'd much rather play against the best, such as Sydney United or Adelaide City, not some washed up, mediocre, half assed, mid-table state league side.

• Like 2

I'd say a Derby is more likely to occur this way, with HAL clubs being pitted against each other more often.

Also, what's with this fascination of facing off with South? I'd much rather play against the best, such as Sydney United or Adelaide City, not some washed up, mediocre, half assed, mid-table state league side.

South have been actively trying to destroy us since we came into existence. That is why going to their place and wipe the floor with them would be very satisfying, maybe with a  banner "You tried to destroy us, now we are here to destroy you" or the like. I am sure Yarraside could come up with something better.

• Like 1

South have been actively trying to destroy us since we came into existence. That is why going to their place and wipe the floor with them would be very satisfying, maybe with a  banner "You tried to destroy us, now we are here to destroy you" or the like. I am sure Yarraside could come up with something better.

laugh out loud

This^^

I feel this weird trophy tournament adds to the A league weird trophy tournament stages. To this day i still don't understand why the hell you have a semi final and final in a football league (not Gay FL the Hyundai A League i mean). If you finish no 1 then you are the champions no matter what. The FFA cup is Another strange creation of a football trophy tournament that i don't understand...Pot A, PotB ermmmm PotC. Whoever created this was on fu-kin POT!!  :blink:  :huh:

I feel this weird trophy tournament adds to the A league weird trophy tournament stages. To this day i still don't understand why the hell you have a semi final and final in a football league (not Gay FL the Hyundai A League i mean). If you finish no 1 then you are the champions no matter what. The FFA cup is Another strange creation of a football trophy tournament that i don't understand...Pot A, PotB ermmmm PotC. Whoever created this was on fu-kin POT!!  :blink:  :huh:

have'nt you heard of the fa cup,league cup,pokal,copa del ray,copa italia ect ect ect

It's an obsession with egalitarianism. Even though someone is clearly the best, you have to create a scenario whereby they can be knocked off their perch. Where else in the world would you create a football competition where 3 of the 10 clubs in the top league must be knocked out in their first match? And one won't even get to play in its own country let alone on its home ground.

I feel this weird trophy tournament adds to the A league weird trophy tournament stages. To this day i still don't understand why the hell you have a semi final and final in a football league (not Gay FL the Hyundai A League i mean). If you finish no 1 then you are the champions no matter what.

The reasons are very obvious and have been explained many, many times.

Yes - Although that Rivalry we have with Adelaide City does burn deep.

Hellas fans have constantly told us:

That they are a much larger club than us,

That they should have also been in the league instead of us,

Then that they were taking control of us and thus destroying us.

All of these reasons alongside the fact that we all live amongst Hellas supporters here in Melbourne probably means most PPL would be more "Fascinated" with beating South Melbourne rather than getting one over the ADP adoring Adelaide Juventus faithful.

Edited by cadete

have'nt you heard of the fa cup,league cup,pokal,copa del ray,copa italia ect ect ect

All of your above are all knock out stage trophy's as the worlds leagues are not knock out stages. There is a difference between a league and a cup.... ;)

Yes - Although that Rivalry we have with Adelaide City does burn deep.

Hellas fans have constantly told us:

That they are a much larger club than us,

That they should have also been in the league instead of us,

Then that they were taking control of us and thus destroying us.

All of these reasons alongside the fact that we all live amongst Hellas supporters here in Melbourne probably means most PPL would be more "Fascinated" with beating South Melbourne rather than getting one over the ADP adoring Adelaide Juventus faithful.

Plus it would be a great stadium to play at (Ive never been there) which would be close to being sold out. 

I feel this weird trophy tournament adds to the A league weird trophy tournament stages. To this day i still don't understand why the hell you have a semi final and final in a football league (not Gay FL the Hyundai A League i mean). If you finish no 1 then you are the champions no matter what. The FFA cup is Another strange creation of a football trophy tournament that i don't understand...Pot A, PotB ermmmm PotC. Whoever created this was on fu-kin POT!! :blink::huh:

have'nt you heard of the fa cup,league cup,pokal,copa del ray,copa italia ect ect ectWhenever you post on the forum it makes me feel violently ill. Please stop, cheers. Edited by CALZALOL

I feel this weird trophy tournament adds to the A league weird trophy tournament stages. To this day i still don't understand why the hell you have a semi final and final in a football league (not Gay FL the Hyundai A League i mean). If you finish no 1 then you are the champions no matter what. The FFA cup is Another strange creation of a football trophy tournament that i don't understand...Pot A, PotB ermmmm PotC. Whoever created this was on fu-kin POT!! :blink::huh:

have'nt you heard of the fa cup,league cup,pokal,copa del ray,copa italia ect ect ect Whenever you post on the forum it makes me feel violently ill. Please stop, cheers.

nah i'll be right, but thanks for the suggestion!

OK, as I mentioned on the first page of this thread i was keen enough to write to the FFA about a potential FFA Cup in early 2010 and Archie Fraser was polite enough to reply.

My model suggested that the A league clubs entered in the round of 32 and that up until the round of 32 qualification was based on states (basically to reduce transport costs) and each state was award "slots" .  I quote from my letter:

with non-seeded slots in the last 32 allocated to states on the number of registered senior players or an alternative basis

A few things are different of course.  I suggested seedings for the league winners of the top competition in each state and, funnily enough, I didn't suggest a contrived draw to give the lesser clubs a free ride.  (anyway I think that's just to get it going, they'll probably can it soon enough once the cup is established)

Feeling very happy right now!

OK, as I mentioned on the first page of this thread i was keen enough to write to the FFA about a potential FFA Cup in early 2010 and Archie Fraser was polite enough to reply.

My model suggested that the A league clubs entered in the round of 32 and that up until the round of 32 qualification was based on states (basically to reduce transport costs) and each state was award "slots" .  I quote from my letter:

with non-seeded slots in the last 32 allocated to states on the number of registered senior players or an alternative basis

A few things are different of course.  I suggested seedings for the league winners of the top competition in each state and, funnily enough, I didn't suggest a contrived draw to give the lesser clubs a free ride.  (anyway I think that's just to get it going, they'll probably can it soon enough once the cup is established)

Feeling very happy right now!

I certainly hope they drop it as soon as possible. It just doesn't make sense as it is. Quite apart from it being pre-determined all the way through, the top four A-League sides are drawn against non-league sides, while the bottom six sides (presumably the weaker ones) have to play each other and three are eliminated.

A kind of double jeopardy.

I would have thought that you would want to maximise the chances of non-league sides being drawn against A-League sides, to boost interest and attendances, rather than have three A-League sides out of the competition immediately.

Coming from a non-league background my biggest and best football memories are cup-ties against league opposition.

I also think tiny clubs like Lambton Jaffas from the Northern NSW conference or Tuggeranong United from the ACT conference would absolutely thrive on competing against professional A-League clubs, imagine what it'd do for the promotion of their clubs irrespective of the scoreline!

Anywho, that's beside the point. I just feel like the FFA are trying to force a fairytale run which is just silly, hopefully the seeded system is scrapped once the competition is fully established and has found its feet.

• 2 weeks later...

If this was the case, our season right now would be over, Brisbane have all but wrapped it up. Half the reason we have had such media interest and a slight influx in crowd figures recently is because we are still in the finals hunt. In the future i would be all for a top of the table winner takes it all, but right now as the A- league is growing, the league needs as much help as they can to keep 6 out of the 10 clubs fans interested and with hope that they can make a run for the toilet seat. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Probs around June/July, pretty close to the start of the cup I imagine.

Still lots of state cup games to be played before any teams can even qualify at this stage, I know the Dockerty Cup for the FFV still has 32 clubs left.

How are the Alb Wodonga teams going? I remember seeing Wang and TCW got through the...second round I think then lost them after that

Probs around June/July, pretty close to the start of the cup I imagine.

Still lots of state cup games to be played before any teams can even qualify at this stage, I know the Dockerty Cup for the FFV still has 32 clubs left.

How are the Alb Wodonga teams going? I remember seeing Wang and TCW got through the...second round I think then lost them after that

Twin City did well and made it to the 4th round (final 64 teams) but lost to Avondale Heights 5-1, after beating Healsville, Watsonia Heights and Heatherton United.

Wangaratta lost to Knox in the 2nd round after beating Mazenod United.

Wang were always shite haha, its funny that I am used to them all playing each other but I guess the NSW teams go into the NSW comp, I would have assumed they would all go vic or NSW which is what happens in those towns alot anyway. What about Diamonds?

Edited by Dylan

Wang were always shite haha, its funny that I am used to them all playing each other but I guess the NSW teams go into the NSW comp, I would have assumed they would all go vic or NSW which is what happens in those towns alot anyway. What about Diamonds?

Yep haha! 

Have a feeling Wang and Twin City were the only AWFA clubs who played in this year's Dockerty Cup, could be wrong though.

• 4 weeks later...

When will the draw be announced?

Key Dates of the Westfield FFA Cup 2014

Live Draw of Westfield FFA Cup 2014 Round of 32 - Thursday, 26 June 2014

Westfield FFA Cup 2014 Round of 32 matches commence - Tuesday, 29 July 2014

Live Draw of Westfield FFA Cup 2014 Round of 16 - Thursday, 21 August 2014

Live Draw of Westfield FFA Cup 2014 Quarter Finals - Thursday, 25 September 2014

Live Draw of Westfield FFA Cup 2014 Semi Finals - Thursday, 6 November 2014

Westfield FFA Cup Final 2014 Activities W/C Monday - 8 December 2014

Westfield FFA Cup Semi Final 2014 (1) - Tuesday, 11 November 2014

Westfield FFA Cup Semi Final 2014 (2) - Tuesday, 25 November 2014

Westfield FFA Cup Final 2014 Tuesday - 16 December 2014

• jw1739 changed the title to The Australia Cup (formerly the FFA Cup)
  • jw1739 pinned this topic