Melbourne Football

The Australia Cup (formerly the FFA Cup)

MHFC-FAN

Jumping on the South Springvale bandwagon :P

With Allemania Richmond not making the cut and Bentleigh Greens getting flogged by Victory I'm going to have to jump on board too. Will have a celebratory Banh Mi Souva if they make the finals.

South Springvale Aris, and they're already in the 'finals'. Edited by LR9
  • Like 1

Jumping on the South Springvale bandwagon :P

With Allemania Richmond not making the cut and Bentleigh Greens getting flogged by Victory I'm going to have to jump on board too. Will have a celebratory Banh Mi Souva if they make the finals.

South Springvale Aris, and they're already in the 'finals'.

Haha yeah i know but i haven't seen too many gyros places in s' springvale so will have to make do.

Interesting article here about the Olympic vs Knights game.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2014/07/30/olympic-fc-coach-hands-knights-ffa-cup-serve

Mark "Mr NSW" Rudan's comments were a classic too:

1. "A pity 2 NSW sides had to play each other" 

2. "You'd think the Victorian side would beat the Queensland side"

3. He kept referring to Olympic FC as Brisbane FC (WTF?  Autocue broken??)

In regards to the second comment, I'd have to say "really?"  Knights had a good cup run that qualified them, but their league season has been a battle, whereas it seems Olympic are having a strong season, siting 2nd behind "the old enemy" Palm Beach.  So its not like the top Vic team is playing the top Qld team and even if they were, some good footballers have come out of Qld over the years, so the game wouldn't be a foregone conclusion.

Interesting article here about the Olympic vs Knights game.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2014/07/30/olympic-fc-coach-hands-knights-ffa-cup-serve

Mark "Mr NSW" Rudan's comments were a classic too:

1. "A pity 2 NSW sides had to play each other" 

2. "You'd think the Victorian side would beat the Queensland side"

3. He kept referring to Olympic FC as Brisbane FC (WTF?  Autocue broken??)

In regards to the second comment, I'd have to say "really?"  Knights had a good cup run that qualified them, but their league season has been a battle, whereas it seems Olympic are having a strong season, siting 2nd behind "the old enemy" Palm Beach.  So its not like the top Vic team is playing the top Qld team and even if they were, some good footballers have come out of Qld over the years, so the game wouldn't be a foregone conclusion.

I have never had time for Rudan and his commentary, he is a massive long ball fan. He would never rate QLD teams as he would just deem them rubbish as they are not from NSW. 

Pretty over the mainstream media reducing local soccer down to what "Ethnic Food" is served at each ground FWIW.

I also find it funny that you can go only get chips and hot dogs at Zebra games.

Better quality and cheaper than the shite served up at AAMI.

• Like 1

Pretty over the mainstream media reducing local soccer down to what "Ethnic Food" is served at each ground FWIW.

I also find it funny that you can go only get chips and hot dogs at Zebra games.

The tuna wraps at AAMI are great.

As is Mcdonald's.

Puzzling that there's been no broadcasting announcements made by either the FFA or Fox Sports yet, they'd be mad not to follow up this week after last week's success.

Apparently people were asking on Twitter and were told that they weren't going to broadcast anymore matches for this round, mostly because it costs money to get the local grounds suitable for broadcasting. I think haha.

Puzzling that there's been no broadcasting announcements made by either the FFA or Fox Sports yet, they'd be mad not to follow up this week after last week's success.

Apparently people were asking on Twitter and were told that they weren't going to broadcast anymore matches for this round, mostly because it costs money to get the local grounds suitable for broadcasting. I think haha.

What! 

That's really poor if true  :(

Someone mentioned South Hobart will be streaming their game. Certainly hope some other clubs will follow that part. Considering the hype surrounding last week the clubs will be mad not to try and lure some viewers their way

What! 

That's really poor if true  :(

I don't think Fox were expecting such a good reception, so they didn't prepare for more broadcasts.

Someone mentioned South Hobart will be streaming their game. Certainly hope some other clubs will follow that part. Considering the hype surrounding last week the clubs will be mad not to try and lure some viewers their way

Yup, they are. I do hope other clubs follow suit, but I am not holding my breath.

Anyone know how the cup rated?

Was fantastic to watch.  Can't believe they are showing nothing at all this week, does that mean it tanked?

Nah they only ever said they were going to show one round of 32 game. I think they tweeted today everyone will get the highlights so they are still sending cameras out. 

I know there's a stream for the South Hobart vs Tuggeranong United game but does anyone know of any streams for the other games? 

As for my hot tips: 

Parramatta FC vs St Albans Saints

South Hobart vs Tuggeranong United

Newcastle Jets vs Perth Glory

Adelaide United vs Wellington Phoenix

Anyone know how the cup rated?

Was fantastic to watch. Can't believe they are showing nothing at all this week, does that mean it tanked?

Pretty sure originally fox sports were always just doing 1 game of the first round.

It seemed a great hit in the football community but I read that I didn't make Foxtels top 20 for the day in terms of viewership and peaked somewhere in the 30k viewers.

Understandable they aren't doing it each week but a live panel show with the highlights as they come through would be great. With 4 games at a time there'd surely be enough to talk about. Also gives them chances to preview and promote the upcoming A-league and even EPL seasons in the down time.

A statement here from Fox Sports Australia in response to queries about tonight's television coverage: "We’ve received a lot of feedback about the FFA Cup not being on tonight. Fox Sports is a proud supporter of grassroots football and part of the foundation of the FFA Cup and we look forward to helping the competition grow. We are committed to broadcasting 10 matches in the inaugural season and will review this position after the current season looking ahead to 2015. We hope you will join us for our next LIVE broadcast in the Round of 16."

Dodging the question or what?

Gee can South Hobart play or what?

Tuggers getting guys behind the ball and defending in the final third, but South are all class.  Appalling defending at that corner though- Tuggers really should have made them pay.  Tuggers definitely a decent side themselves, cracking match

• jw1739 changed the title to The Australia Cup (formerly the FFA Cup)
  • jw1739 pinned this topic