Melbourne Football

The Australia Cup (formerly the FFA Cup)

MHFC-FAN

kinda gay that in the latter stages all the state clubs will be in the off-season

Not only this the amount of movement between all VPL clubs each off season is of the scale.

Many players know as one VPL season is concluding that they will be playing elsewhere in the league next season.

• 4 months later...

rofl how good were the interviews before the game

"they said they wanted to play a team they could score loads of goals against to give them confidence so I said "I could get our lot to come along if you like. You will score plenty of goals against them"" :lol:

Back on topic though. FFA cup FTW!

• Like 1

IMO it's going to be difficult to get FFA moving on this while there are still these brainless 'incidents' that we've seen in recent weeks, both in Melbourne and in Sydney. Another issue is availability of shared stadiums.

I'm sure FFA are aware that it is desirable to extend the season for A-League clubs. Both for players and spectators. It's damned hard to maintain interest in the game when there are no matches for 6 months. Hell, the Euro leagues finished weeks after us and they're already in action again.

An A-League Cup during the season would give us a few more weeks of football. At least we could start that way. It would also give clubs another competition that they would have a chance of winning.

IMO it's going to be difficult to get FFA moving on this while there are still these brainless 'incidents' that we've seen in recent weeks, both in Melbourne and in Sydney. Another issue is availability of shared stadiums.

I'm sure FFA are aware that it is desirable to extend the season for A-League clubs. Both for players and spectators. It's damned hard to maintain interest in the game when there are no matches for 6 months. Hell, the Euro leagues finished weeks after us and they're already in action again.

An A-League Cup during the season would give us a few more weeks of football. At least we could start that way. It would also give clubs another competition that they would have a chance of winning.

A lot of stuff is going happen to football at the local level in the next 2 to 3 years that will be the most significant change to local setup since the creation of NSL, only when this has been under way for a while will the FFA Cup be looked at as one of the features of these reforms will be more football played in Summer at this level.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Am stoked with this news.  Was so keen that "the 15 year old boy within me" wrote a letter to the FFA about it a few years back.  They were kind enough to reply and indicated they would be likely to do it, but probably not striaght away (and so it has come to pass).

I see it having great potential on the following fronts:

• could generate its own revenue
  • has potential for the classic underdog tales Aussies love.  Lets face it in other football codes the undergunned team always losses (and by a lot) but in football, where finishing is EVERYTHING, you always have a "puncher's chance" 
  • Could help identify young up and coming talent that maybe wouldn't get exposure otherwise, especially true for country kids, if the FFA provide regional centres with  a route into the Cup

My model seems similiar to what they are talking about?  I suggested: The cup would start regionally (to keep costs down) with the top NPL and the A league clubs having seeded positions for starts in later rounds, ala the FA Cup.  Entrance outside of the A League would be based on winning an appropriate qualifying tournament - preferably a cup, but if not available the league.

Will be very interested in what they come up with.

• Like 2

Am stoked with this news.  Was so keen that "the 15 year old boy within me" wrote a letter to the FFA about it a few years back.  They were kind enough to reply and indicated they would be likely to do it, but probably not striaght away (and so it has come to pass).

I see it having great potential on the following fronts:

• could generate its own revenue
  • has potential for the classic underdog tales Aussies love.  Lets face it in other football codes the undergunned team always losses (and by a lot) but in football, where finishing is EVERYTHING, you always have a "puncher's chance" 
  • Could help identify young up and coming talent that maybe wouldn't get exposure otherwise, especially true for country kids, if the FFA provide regional centres with  a route into the Cup

My model seems similiar to what they are talking about?  I suggested: The cup would start regionally (to keep costs down) with the top NPL and the A league clubs having seeded positions for starts in later rounds, ala the FA Cup.  Entrance outside of the A League would be based on winning an appropriate qualifying tournament - preferably a cup, but if not available the league.

Will be very interested in what they come up with.

I'd like to see every NPL club participate in the earlier rounds with the A-League clubs joining in at a later round. 

The FFA Cup can only be a good thing for football in Australia, can't wait!

The comp needs to be given some signficance otherwise the A League clubs will not see it as a priority and they will take it as seriously as AFL clubs do their Preseason Comp. (Not at all).

Totally agree! In Argentina they recently start there fa cup style. Copa Argentina..... Most clubs weren't taking it seriously until they placed a copa libertadores spot for the winner. Now it's a serious competition. But only in its early years!

• 4 months later...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/sa-soccer-snub-only-one-local-club-invited-into-ffa-cup/story-fnk6pqha-1226812463089#ixzz2rlJlAy6n

- FFA Cup to begin in July/August

- 32 clubs: 9 A-League teams and 23 NPL teams

- Of the 23 state league clubs, NSW = 8, Victoria = 4, Queensland = 4, Western Australia = 2, Northern NSW = 2, Tasmania = 1, ACT = 1, South Australia = 1

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/sa-soccer-snub-only-one-local-club-invited-into-ffa-cup/story-fnk6pqha-1226812463089#ixzz2rlJlAy6n

- FFA Cup to begin in July/August

- 32 clubs: 9 A-League teams and 23 NPL teams

- Of the 23 state league clubs, NSW = 8, Victoria = 4, Queensland = 4, Western Australia = 2, Northern NSW = 2, Tasmania = 1, ACT = 1, South Australia = 1

It's not necessarily just NPL teams, will be from the State knockout cups. At least that's my understanding of how it works in Vic, so last four left out of NPL to state 5.

Anyway, I think this is probably about the best case scenario for the cup. Obviously could never have been completely open from the start but would have been nice to see more even numbers across the states.

As long as the draw is completely random throughout all stages, including who is at home, I'll be happy.

I think the state qualifying starts at the beginning of March.

First round draw is in the next couple of weeks I think and round 1 is first week of March.

Looking forward to seeing how this all goes.

Allocations are extremely shit IMO, I don't understand how SA get just 1. When I read 'NSW = 8', I thought that would be including their Northern league too, but to have almost half the teams in the whole comp from NSW (4 HAL,10 state) is a bit BS.

I think a fairer allocation would have been something like NSW/NNSW 8(6+2), Vic 5, Qld 4, WA 2, SA 2, Tas 1, ACT 1.

Also, I know they aren't much, but I would have liked to see an NT side included, they have a couple decent sides up there.

Allocations are extremely shit IMO, I don't understand how SA get just 1. When I read 'NSW = 8', I thought that would be including their Northern league too, but to have almost half the teams in the whole comp from NSW (4 HAL,10 state) is a bit BS.

I think a fairer allocation would have been something like NSW/NNSW 8(6+2), Vic 5, Qld 4, WA 2, SA 2, Tas 1, ACT 1.

Also, I know they aren't much, but I would have liked to see an NT side included, they have a couple decent sides up there.

100% agree with this

Hopefully in the near future we get a 64 club FFA Cup, I'm sure it's not that unfeasible.

Allocations are extremely shit IMO, I don't understand how SA get just 1. When I read 'NSW = 8', I thought that would be including their Northern league too, but to have almost half the teams in the whole comp from NSW (4 HAL,10 state) is a bit BS.I think a fairer allocation would have been something like NSW/NNSW 8(6+2), Vic 5, Qld 4, WA 2, SA 2, Tas 1, ACT 1.Also, I know they aren't much, but I would have liked to see an NT side included, they have a couple decent sides up there.

I know it wouldn't take a lot more, but pretty sure they don't have numbers like 6 and 5 because it would require extra games, where as with 8 and 4 they can just take the last 8 and 4 of the respective cup competitions.

• jw1739 changed the title to The Australia Cup (formerly the FFA Cup)
  • jw1739 pinned this topic