Jump to content
Melbourne Football

Tom Glover


neio
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

Saucey 

2EE18C8D-079E-4E39-9B8C-6141DFCBE834.png

Wow. About time someone unloaded. Well spoken NY.

Just watched it again. WTF is this punching the ball - catch the bloody thing, that's what your hands are for!

That said, Nabbout earlier was guilty of shooting instead of passing to an unmarked City player, who put his head in his hands in disgust.

image.png.b929b258351009b95d31df6338f135d9.png

Disappointing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

Saucey 

2EE18C8D-079E-4E39-9B8C-6141DFCBE834.png

Well his departure was always a mystery and now we know, he got made redundant. I guess we needed to funds to pay for our designated player?

For me this is biggest confirmation that PK puts his own pride and ego before the team. This goes from staff, into player selection and the non existent tactics.

One interesting comment, does NY mean that Jeff was never going improve Glover as Jeff isn’t up to it or he means Glover is a lost cause?

Edited by Mr MO
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Wow. About time someone unloaded. Well spoken NY.

Just watched it again. WTF is this punching the ball - catch the bloody thing, that's what your hands are for!

That said, Nabbout earlier was guilty of shooting instead of passing to an unmarked City player, who put his head in his hands in disgust.

image.png.b929b258351009b95d31df6338f135d9.png

Disappointing.

I completely agree, Nabbout is getting carried away sometimes, fueled by his goals earlier in that tournaments but not that laying that ball off was poor. In his defensive, he’s had his head down all the way and had only eye for goal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Well his departure was always a mystery and now we know, he got made redundant. I guess we needed to funds to pay for our designated player?

For me this is biggest confirmation that PK puts his own pride and ego before the team. This goes from staff, into player selection and the non existent tactics.

One interesting comment, does NY mean that Jeff was never going improve Glover as Jeff isn’t up to it or he means Glover is a lost cause?

I read it as Jeff is a crap coach as Glover has plenty of talent but needs to be coached about positioning 

Edited by Missing_Moy
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Well his departure was always a mystery and now we know, he got made redundant. I guess we needed to funds to pay for our designated player?

For me this is biggest confirmation that PK puts his own pride and ego before the team. This goes from staff, into player selection and the non existent tactics.

One interesting comment, does NY mean that Jeff was never going improve Glover as Jeff isn’t up to it or he means Glover is a lost cause?

Perhaps I'm guilty of interpreting it the way I want to, but to me he's saying Jeff Olver isn't up to it and the club didn't have the money to get in an alternative coach. Otherwise wouldn't he have written (say) "when I left I knew Tommy wasn't up to it?"

Does it matter though? Overall he's saying the club doesn't really care about the position - a conclusion reached on here several seasons ago I'd say.

And I'd also say IMO the Forum decided some time ago on PK's ego.

We're not stupid.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Perhaps I'm guilty of interpreting it the way I want to, but to me he's saying Jeff Olver isn't up to it and the club didn't have the money to get in an alternative coach. Otherwise wouldn't he have written (say) "when I left I knew Tommy wasn't up to it?"

Does it matter though? Overall he's saying the club doesn't really care about the position - a conclusion reached on here several seasons ago I'd say.

And I'd also say IMO the Forum decided some time ago on PK's ego.

We're not stupid.

It’s unbelievable really, how much would a decent goalkeeper coach be on? We always pride ourselves on the resources and facilities we can provide being part of CFG.

Obviously there is always more to the story than just having no budget for a good goalkeeper coach. Neil Young might have an opinion on how to run a team and Olver might be more of a yes man. It is peculiar that several senior supporting staff over the last seasons have left the club.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a concern, he improved a lot last season and was on a trajectory to be a Socceroos keeper and to have another crack overseas. He's now regressed to where he was when he first arrived at City. I feel for him as he is getting poor coaching, and if I were him I'd be looking to move to a different club environment where he could develop

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He has had plenty of coaching in his career. What we are talking are the basics og goalkeeper job.  He just needs to keep clear of no man's land and attempting to punch the ball at the edge of the penalty box. He should have enough football intelligence. 

The fact is that he does it repeatedly. Whether it's his decision or he's instructed to play keeper sweeper,  we don't know. 

We don't need overall much better keeper.  We won the title,  we are atop the table.  We beat lower level Asia teams. That is our range. We just need a keeper who doesn't make basic blunders too often. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

He has had plenty of coaching in his career. What we are talking are the basics og goalkeeper job.  He just needs to keep clear of no man's land and attempting to punch the ball at the edge of the penalty box. He should have enough football intelligence. 

The fact is that he does it repeatedly. Whether it's his decision or he's instructed to play keeper sweeper,  we don't know. 

We don't need overall much better keeper.  We won the title,  we are atop the table.  We beat lower level Asia teams. That is our range. We just need a keeper who doesn't make basic blunders too often. 

I disagree. A constituent club of one of the richest football empires in the world, and it's good enough to beat a lower level Asian team? I call bullshit on that sort of attitude. We should aspire to scale the heights. Reach for the stars.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I disagree. A constituent club of one of the richest football empires in the world, and it's good enough to beat a lower level Asian team? I call bullshit on that sort of attitude. We should aspire to scale the heights. Reach for the stars.

Fully agree on this. And in any case, why prioritise positions on the field? Any penalty is just the GK vs striker, having a poorly coached GK is gifting a goal to the opposition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Jovan said:

This forum has lost the plot.

CBF repeating in detail. 

But Glover being shit is all down to Glover. It has zero to do with current or past coaches.

Taking a break for a while. 

 

He was far better last season, particularly his positioning (not great, but better), and his decision making. Punching the ball is something that he's started doing more frequently this season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Jovan said:

This forum has lost the plot.

CBF repeating in detail. 

But Glover being shit is all down to Glover. It has zero to do with current or past coaches.

Taking a break for a while. 

 

The forum? 

You must have missed the Neil Young Twitter message.

The overal sentiment is that it is Glovers own doing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

He was far better last season, particularly his positioning (not great, but better), and his decision making. Punching the ball is something that he's started doing more frequently this season.

The punching seems to be a confidence thing. Last night it looked he was going to grab it but changed his mind last minute and ending in a volleybal setup. 

From memory most of the recent mistakes are all in the air, which is odd given his height.

Even last season IMO I couldn’t trust him.

He just doesn’t have what it takes with the basic stuff, irrespective who coaches him and sure he pulls out of good diving safe here or there. 

Edited by Mr MO
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

Fully agree on this. And in any case, why prioritise positions on the field? Any penalty is just the GK vs striker, having a poorly coached GK is gifting a goal to the opposition.

I actually call bullshit on that PK didn’t have the budget to keep Neil Young, it was just a cop out to get him out of the club, Neil Young is no yes man and has been around a lot longer than PK 

Not sure if the GK position is deliberately not being addressed, PK obviously believed that with Olver, Glover plus no serious back up keeper the keeper department was under control.

As with many things we’ve seen this season - hey it worked last year, so just worker harder!

Edited by Mr MO
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

This forum has lost the plot.

CBF repeating in detail. 

But Glover being shit is all down to Glover. It has zero to do with current or past coaches.

Taking a break for a while. 

 

It may be that we have, but collectively whatever the reasons are it needs to be fixed before next season. Quite possibly we're going to miss out on the Plate, the runners-up position, and progress to the round of 16 in the Asian Champions League. This is not good enough for a club with our resources. It's not just the GK position(s) - we have stuffed up the designated player opportunity as well. We must do better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, NuggetsMcGreggor said:

It’s going to suck when he does a Redmayne on us and gets good after he leaves but we can’t continue with him. 

Could be. But Redmayne did shit in a shit Melbourne Heart outfit. Glover is doing shit in a top of the ladder title winning team. No excuses really. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, haz said:

I'll Paypal someone $5 to add up all the points Glover has cost us this season. 

Dw I'm planning on going over the highlights of every match this season and totalling up all the errors he's made that have directly or indirectly cost us goals.

2 hours ago, n i k o said:

Could be. But Redmayne did shit in a shit Melbourne Heart outfit. Glover is doing shit in a top of the ladder title winning team. No excuses really. 

Redmayne was bad no doubt, but he was never an error every two games bad. Hell,  not even Bouzanis was this bad,  and he was fucking bad. Tom Glover has to be one or the worst GKs in A league history in terms of error per game ratio. It's staggering, as you mentioned, with a title winning defence in front of him.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, TJV said:

Dw I'm planning on going over the highlights of every match this season and totalling up all the errors he's made that have directly or indirectly cost us goals.

Redmayne was bad no doubt, but he was never an error every two games bad. Hell,  not even Bouzanis was this bad,  and he was fucking bad. Tom Glover has to be one or the worst GKs in A league history in terms of error per game ratio. It's staggering, as you mentioned, with a title winning defence in front of him.

He has regressed so much this season in regards to errors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FMD just watched the lowlights again. Forwards all too keen to snatch at the ball a shade too early instead of picking their spot. Our defence porous against a quick counter attack. Glover another unbelievable mistake.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm now at the point where we should get 2 new keepers in and let them fight for number 1 next season. I was with keeping Glover and getting in someone new, but this is becoming untenable, which is really sad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, neio said:

I'm now at the point where we should get 2 new keepers in and let them fight for number 1 next season. I was with keeping Glover and getting in someone new, but this is becoming untenable, which is really sad

I would like to see a visa GK. I can't see any reason why, if we're so fucking parsimonious with the coaching budget, he could also be the coach as well. We've got to do a lot better with our visa and marquee/designated players, and our coaching staff. IMO the problem lies deeper than just Glover and Kisnorbo.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I would like to see a visa GK. I can't see any reason why, if we're so fucking parsimonious with the coaching budget, he could also be the coach as well. We've got to do a lot better with our visa and marquee/designated players, and our coaching staff. IMO the problem lies deeper than just Glover and Kisnorbo.

I have no issues with a Visa keeper, people frown on visa keepers but we have the Australian talent outfield that we can afford it. 

I still think the number 1 option should be Paul Izzo, shown to be one of the better keepers when he was at Adelaide and is out of contract. But only at the right price cause Popa took him to Greece and I'd say Victory will be looking for a new keeper. He is good but not ridiculously good we need to get into a bidding war. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

And also, a social media message from an ex-employee might not always be the best source of information. 

Yeah you are right, Glover is an absolute gun - nothing to see there.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Yeah you are right, Glover is an absolute gun - nothing to see there.

No, Glover has cost us a place in the Asians Champions League knock out stages + may well be the reason we don't win the league + finals double again and will have his place heavily looked at in the off season, but that doesn't negate my point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Watching the elimination final between WU and Phoenix really has shown how far behind the rest of the league we are in the GK position. 

Edited by haz
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, haz said:

Watching the elimination final between WU and Phoenix really has shown how far behind the rest of the league we are in the GK position. 

Two very good keepers who definitely make a huge difference, probably the top two in the league. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...