Melbourne Football

Tom Glover

neio

• 6 months later...
7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I don't buy it. When thinking clearly he didn't intend it to go into the crowd. But in that moment he had a brain fart. No way in the world would that flare end up in the crowd if it was the city terrace behind him. 

5 hours ago, n i k o said:

I don't buy it. When thinking clearly he didn't intend it to go into the crowd. But in that moment he had a brain fart. No way in the world would that flare end up in the crowd if it was the city terrace behind him. 

I kind of do, the week before he had that moment when he handled outside the box. He is capable of an extremely poor decision. 

I honestly think he should receive some sort suspension even if he if genuinely didn't intend to launch it back into the crowd. 

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

I kind of do, the week before he had that moment when he handled outside the box. He is capable of an extremely poor decision. 

I honestly think he should receive some sort suspension even if he if genuinely didn't intend to launch it back into the crowd. 

You think that flare would have ended up in city Terrace had the ends been reversed? Same scenario...

21 minutes ago, n i k o said:

You think that flare would have ended up in city Terrace had the ends been reversed? Same scenario...

You'd think not, but my point was that Glover has shown big lapses of judgement so I could see him possibly doing it,

but then again na, that would be unimaginable, therefore that makes his actions even more provocative and careless. 

9 hours ago, n i k o said:

Regrettably I agree with you. He didn't actually need to throw it at all, just place it behind the goal and let trained people do the rest. Or, better, not touch it at all.

I would have thought that all players would have a protocol how to deal with these sorts of events. They're not new. I don't resile from the view that nobody, including City, was properly prepared for this match. We just cannot keep passing the buck.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Regrettably I agree with you. He didn't actually need to throw it at all, just place it behind the goal and let trained people do the rest. Or, better, not touch it at all.

Like izzo did, threw them to the sides of the goal and quite low as well so no chance of it going over 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jovan said:

You'd think not, but my point was that Glover has shown big lapses of judgement so I could see him possibly doing it,

but then again na, that would be unimaginable, therefore that makes his actions even more provocative and careless. 

Oh I agree with your point. But you agree then I gather...as dumb and stupid and the moment got to him...he knew roughly how far that flare was going. It may have been a moment of anger. Whatever it was. One flare he carefully threw over the advertisement barrier. The other he's launched 10-15 metres away through the air. Its black and white. And he deserves whatever he gets for it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I would have thought that all players would have a protocol how to deal with these sorts of events. They're not new. I don't resile from the view that nobody, including City, was properly prepared for this match. We just cannot keep passing the buck.

Which raises a protocol question - normally only the players and the refs are allowed on the pitch whilst the game is underway. If an injury happens, medical staff are signalled to get in the pitch by the ref. So, if a flare ends up on the pitch does this mean that the ref has to call in a trained grounds staff to get on the pitch top remove the flare? Or is it up to teh players to take the flare to one side?

And I certainly agree that no one was prepared other than the hooligans.

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

Oh I agree with your point. But you agree then I gather...as dumb and stupid and the moment got to him...he knew roughly how far that flare was going. It may have been a moment of anger. Whatever it was. One flare he carefully threw over the advertisement barrier. The other he's launched 10-15 metres away through the air. Its black and white. And he deserves whatever he gets for it. 

I reckon that's a long bow you're drawing there... And a bit off trying to get others to agree he knew exactly where and how far he had to throw it.

Only Glover himself will know the answer... And tbf, he may himself even not know, it may have been totally reactive to the continued shit coming his way.

Stupid thing to do and he'll probably get some sort of sanction from it. But this idea of him deliberately inciting them is total bullshit.

22 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Which raises a protocol question - normally only the players and the refs are allowed on the pitch whilst the game is underway. If an injury happens, medical staff are signalled to get in the pitch by the ref. So, if a flare ends up on the pitch does this mean that the ref has to call in a trained grounds staff to get on the pitch top remove the flare? Or is it up to teh players to take the flare to one side?

And I certainly agree that no one was prepared other than the hooligans.

IMO this can be solved easily - and bear in mind that we aim to eliminate flares anyway. Just decide that in the event of any missile being thrown onto the pitch, or anyone or anything entering the field of play, then the match stops at that point. Then security can remove whatever the problem is and the ref. can restart the match.

The other thing is that usually missiles or objects are thrown from behind the goal, so erect a secondary net a metre or so behind the goal, extending a couple of metres above it and the width of the penalty area. The view will be impacted to a minor extent, but again, remember that the objective is to prevent it happening in the first place.

If you want to keep banging on about it "has no place in our game" then do something about it, because talking and pussyfooting around won't fix it.

56 minutes ago, rass said:

I reckon that's a long bow you're drawing there... And a bit off trying to get others to agree he knew exactly where and how far he had to throw it.

Only Glover himself will know the answer... And tbf, he may himself even not know, it may have been totally reactive to the continued shit coming his way.

Stupid thing to do and he'll probably get some sort of sanction from it. But this idea of him deliberately inciting them is total bullshit.

I'm not trying to make anyone do anything. Secondly i never said he knew exactly how far he had to throw it. I says he knew roughly how far. Furthermore to that I don't believe he had actual intent to hit anyone with the flare. But IMO he threw it towards them with intent. I've seen the video footage of him looking back at them, picking up the flare and watching where he was throwing it over the goals. He was certainly pissed off because that flare was thrown at him. He saw it sail past his head. 

Edited by n i k o

35 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I'm not trying to make anyone do anything. Secondly i never said he knew exactly how far he had to throw it. I says he knew roughly how far. Furthermore to that I don't believe he had actual intent to hit anyone with the flare. But IMO he threw it towards them with intent. I've seen the video footage of him looking back at them, picking up the flare and watching where he was throwing it over the goals. He was certainly pissed off because that flare was thrown at him. He saw it sail past his head. 

In fact it doesn't matter what his intent was. The fact is that he recklessly threw a flare towards spectators. An unnecessary and dangerous thing to do. Therefore a sanction should be imposed.

I think he will get something, but the league has bigger issues at the moment and I assume Glover can't play next game due to a concussion protocol anyway so they have a little bit of time to work through it.

Really disappointing that he will be missing some football though he has been in pretty solid form and I don't trust Matt Sutton to be our number 1 at all 

• Thanks 1

I note that FA have just handed down their interim restrictions arising out the derby debarcle.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/football-news-2022-melbourne-victory-sanctions-for-derby-riot-vs-melbourne-city-no-tickets-allowed-to-be-sold-members-allowed-entry/news-story/6c0e2fe7f41e0f270c2c93d854f9506b

One of these is

Home and away active bays will be closed and therefore are to be cordoned off and tarps must be applied to at least the first four (4) rows of seating behind the goal line at each end of the Venue;"

I applaud FA's effort to try and protect the active supporters however Glover can throw further than that. :)

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, TheStig said:

I note that FA have just handed down their interim restrictions arising out the derby debarcle.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/football-news-2022-melbourne-victory-sanctions-for-derby-riot-vs-melbourne-city-no-tickets-allowed-to-be-sold-members-allowed-entry/news-story/6c0e2fe7f41e0f270c2c93d854f9506b

One of these is

I applaud FA's effort to try and protect the active supporters however Glover can throw further than that. :)

Thats like shutting the stable door AFTER the horse has bolted DER.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Mr MO said:

They are a little less noticeable as we didn’t get scored against, the handball outside the box for example.

But the main thing now is that with some good saves in most games he makes a positive difference.

Just waiting for the game where we don't need to rely on good fortune to stop us conceding. 

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Good move for Tommy, hopefully he is in contention for some good minutes if not push for the starting role. Nice little Aussie contingent at Middlesbrough too!

I'm hearing they have already started to recruit more sideline ball boys to deal with his goal kicks.

• Haha 2