Melbourne Football

Tom Glover

neio

19 minutes ago, Zanty said:

I definitely think we need to sign a new goalkeeper for next season, I feel like Glover makes at least one mistake each game and it makes me very nervous as a fan, I would love to see someone like Paul Izzo brought in to give Glover proper competition  

We at least need some genuine competition for the position

13 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

But he had decent competition when Biragitti was playing every game on the bench!

Yes, and he was more consistent that season

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

We've had the competition. What we don't have is a decent modern GK coach and a willingness to give any of the other GKs a go.

Yes, we need both

• Like 1

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

Yes, and he was more consistent that season

Yes, we need both

I think that FA/APL also needs, somehow, a secondary competition where reserve GKs and others - such as Pucci, Raphael, Cola  - in A-League clubs can actually get some competitive match football. Is this fulfilled by the NPL? - I don't think so in practice. 

18/19 season: Birighitti's signing was announced 11/9/18. He left by mutual termination 30/7/19.
Bouzanis spent the season on loan to PEC Zwolle. The other two GKs were Galekovic and Delianov (S).
Glover was not at the club.

19/20 season: Glover's signing was announced 6/9/19. His competition was Bouzanis who returned from PEC Zwolle, and Joe Gauci. Bouzanis left at end of 19/20 (announced 25/7/20).

20/21 season: Glover's competition was Matt Sutton, Ahmed Taleb (S) and James Nieuwenhuizen (S).

21-22 season: Remains the same as last season.

1 hour ago, johnno cpfc said:

I have to admit, his distribution was absolutely abysmal so the club should bite the bullet and bench him i am sure we would be no worse of with whoever they put in .

It’s something they trained on, he’s supposed to play it long on the wingers head mostly Nabbout. Last night was poorly executed.

Edited by Mr MO

21 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

fuck the cunt off, question now is who is the worst gk the club has had, glover bouzanis or redmayne

Bouzanis wasn't that bad, everyone just had the shits with him cause he was picked over Sorenson. He had his bad moments but he also had some bloody good games 

9 minutes ago, rass said:

Doesn't help when he's got a defence that week in, week out, gives forwards the space they do. Been a huge problem all season but PK way too busy just screaming at his classroom to notice.

Yeah I agree way too much space every game. I've been trying to pin point it, all our defenders defend walking backswards, we lack real pace at the back and whilst many rate our midfield highly it is just not very good collectively in defending, our DM usually drowns without any support.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Yeah I agree way too much space every game. I've been trying to pin point it, all our defenders defend walking backswards, we lack real pace at the back and whilst many rate our midfield highly it is just not very good collectively in defending, our DM usually drowns without any support.

There isn't a team in the league who'd think they couldn't score against us this season, no matter how little possession they'd have. It's fukn woeful.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just has absolutely 0 confidence in himself atm and it tells in his erratic decision making and play.

He's trying to play as a sweeping keeper in general play, but the guy just runs out everytime the ball may be a sniff near him.

Then he's the polar opposite in set pieces, he'll almost never come off his line and even when he does, his judgement is so poor he never gets near the ball anyway.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Just has absolutely 0 confidence in himself atm and it tells in his erratic decision making and play.

He's trying to play as a sweeping keeper in general play, but the guy just runs out everytime the ball may be a sniff near him.

Then he's the polar opposite in set pieces, he'll almost never come off his line and even when he does, his judgement is so poor he never gets near the ball anyway.

Dead right. Part of the problem IMO is the GK Coach issue. Jeff Olver comes from a generation where the GK's role was to command the 6-yard box, where GKs could pick up the ball from a back-pass, etc. etc. Old style keeping. The rules concerning back-passes to the keeper were introduced in 1992, after Olver retired, and modified again in 1997. I don't see how he's equipped to improve Tom Glover's performance in the "sweeper-keeper" era.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Shot stopping from outside the box is elementary and the easiest in the keeper job. He does wrong with anything else.  He was good as we avoided those situations. When he comes into Redmayne's age, he will probably be decent.  He's already Olyroos first choice keeper, now with more international experience. The question is whether the club will persist. 

• Like 1

I hope someone at CFG HQ is crunching the numbers to work out how many points/money/marketing/brand-exposure/etc. this guy has cost the club. 

Bring back Tommy Sorenson, or a sack of potatoes. Either would do better than Glover. 

• Like 1