Melbourne Football

Tom Glover

neio

His best isn’t as good as Bouzanis but his worst certainly isn’t as bad as Bouzanis and that happy medium is probably what we need if we want to string some games together coming into finals.

At the end of the day, the guy will start next season having played about 15 league games, a number of Olyroos matches and an Olympic games (beit is starter or otherwise). Quite happy with where we sit with the GK position all things considered.

• Like 2

Glover has had issues with setting up walls although this one wasn’t as bad as the Olyroos one. At least he can sight the ball.

To me it looks fine. The angle is deceiving, the crappy line I drew shows that it’s just about covered. Maybe Jamieson should move a little bit over and stand straight though. 

What’s interesting is he’s put the tallest player on his near-side, because he’s not sure whether it’s the left foot or the right foot. I would still put it far-side but he’s the pro I guess. 

25FF59D3-72B1-423C-A077-517F5BC18441.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Deluka said:

His best isn’t as good as Bouzanis but his worst certainly isn’t as bad as Bouzanis and that happy medium is probably what we need if we want to string some games together coming into finals.

At the end of the day, the guy will start next season having played about 15 league games, a number of Olyroos matches and an Olympic games (beit is starter or otherwise). Quite happy with where we sit with the GK position all things considered.

Agreed, if Bouzanis had made the errors Glover has made the last few weeks this forum would've wanted his head on a stake.

2 hours ago, Harrison said:

...potWhat’s interesting is he’s put the tallest player on his near-side, because he’s not sure whether it’s the left foot or the right foot. I would still put it far-side but he’s the pro I guess. 

25FF59D3-72B1-423C-A077-517F5BC18441.jpeg

Spot on. We noticed it too during the game. Earlier, Luna had a free kick down that end and Young had his wall setup with the tallest player on that side opposite to where he was standing. We even commented at the time how different the walls were setup with the shortest player Jamo being on the other side. 

You could've bet your house that O'Shea was always going that side. 

2 hours ago, rayv36 said:

Agreed, if Bouzanis had made the errors Glover has made the last few weeks this forum would've wanted his head on a stake.

A big difference is the mistakes generally haven't led to goals conceded. Secondly if a keeper is going to make mistakes it might as well be a young up coming keeper. Quite simply everyone was fed up with Bouzanis, particularly his indecisiveness that led to goals. In comparison Glover is extremely decisive so no wonder everyone warms to him more. 

In fact I'm not quite sure what this constantly brought up point of comparison in forum reaction between the two keepers is meant to elicit. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, n i k o said:

A big difference is the mistakes generally haven't led to goals conceded. Secondly if a keeper is going to make mistakes it might as well be a young up coming keeper. Quite simply everyone was fed up with Bouzanis, particularly his indecisiveness that led to goals. In comparison Glover is extremely decisive so no wonder everyone warms to him more. 

In fact I'm not quite sure what this constantly brought up point of comparison in forum reaction between the two keepers is meant to elicit. 

IMO because Bouzanis' contract is up at the end of this season and there's a feeling that the club should let him go and have Glover as No. 1 and Gauci as No. 2.

14 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO because Bouzanis' contract is up at the end of this season and there's a feeling that the club should let him go and have Glover as No. 1 and Gauci as No. 2.

Hmmm not sure, maybe. I get the feeling that people can't help but to point out that difference for the sake of it. They don't entirely want Glover to receive the criticism but can't help pointing it out as well at the same time. 

IMO even though he may make some technical mistakes, he reads the game so much better than Dean.

At his age, improving on technique is far easier than learning to read the play which is more about instinct and intelligence which Dean has proved over time that he is deficient in.

At this point in the season I would have Glover at No.1 by a long way.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, n i k o said:

Just pointing out this forum have whipping boys and no matter what they do will get crucified.

Also comparing just to rustle some jimmies tbh, I'm 100% on board with Glover.

4 hours ago, rayv36 said:

Just pointing out this forum have whipping boys and no matter what they do will get crucified.

Also comparing just to rustle some jimmies tbh, I'm 100% on board with Glover.

That's cool, but is is there anything about the Bouzanis criticism that isn't warranted? 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
1 minute ago, kingofhearts said:

He's always been average

Had one good game against Perth and not done much else.

Needs to sit on the bench after his performance tonight

I reckon he has been pretty solid overall. Tonoght was 100 percent his fault but I don't think dropping him will be helpful 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm now coming to the opinion that we need to bring in someone to at least Glover some proper competition. I don't think Sutton does that. 

We have empty visa slots, go use one on a keeper in January. It's going to be a very tight league, it could be the difference for us 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

He has never been good.

Our defence has always made him look better then what he is. If we actually had a half decent backup he'd be sitting on the bench by now

Not with PK in charge. Stick to the system and just work harder.

Silliness asides, you would think about punching a ball in the 99th minute.