Melbourne Football

Tom Glover

neio

3 minutes ago, playmaker said:

The box was his all night, he commanded the defenders and took control of everything in his space.

Our most solid goalkeeping performance since Thomas.

Well done.

Take it easy, he made 2 decent stops and had he not, the response on here would be extreme. 

Eugene had some exceptional games from memory, but TBF Newcastle were very weak. As said by another lets see what he can do in the next 2 "bigger" games. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Take it easy, he made 2 decent stops and had he not, the response on here would be extreme. 

Eugene had some exceptional games from memory, but TBF Newcastle were very weak. As said by another lets see what he can do in the next 2 "bigger" games. 

Can't agree with you. It's not the two stops - even if that's the real number - but he went for everything that was in the box and he looked businesslike. Bouzanis has never done that.  But let's not argue about it. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, rass said:

I thought he did really well too but i'll reserve further judgment until after the derby and Sydney, when the real pressure comes.

In the same boat too mate.

Could just be a flash in the pan (really really hope not)

3 hours ago, Harrison said:

He’s got a funny habit of holding the ball in the position he caught it for a few seconds. But anyway he just seems really strong aerially. And gets down well for a big guy.  

It could be the influence of Neil Young the new GK coach we’re seeing in Glover. I get the feeling that Bouzanis thinks he knows all there is to know, and is somewhat difficult to coach at 28, whereas a younger kid like Glover is a sponge and keen to learn. 

Also having trained with Hugo Lloris helps a tad too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bt50 said:

A good 'keeping' game. Looked far superior in the air to Deano.
Deano's distribution strength was highlighted though imo, Glover pretty poor by foot. But like many have said, the keepers primary role is to keep the ball out of the net, and on that basis, a pretty good debut from the young fella.

id rather have a proficient shot stopper than doesnt fk with the ball than a dingus like booouzanis that plays a nice pass but costs us a goal every game

Edited by Originalmeme
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Originalmeme said:

id rather have a proficient shot stopper than doesnt fk with the ball than a dingus like booouzanis that plays a nice pass but costs us a goal every game

Bouzanis still has his fair share of shit passes, he is even apt to kick it out in to touch at times. 

Personally, I don't rate his 'distribution' that highly.

And like you I would rather pick players based on core competency rather than ancillary skills.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Commanding of the box and reading the play are by far the most important traits to have as a keeper. Thats why you see so many quality keepers still playing 40+ 

Shot stopping wins you games, solid commanding of the box wins you trophies. 

So far Glover gets an A+. 

Edited by HeartFc
  • Like 1

Thanks Arnie!

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/how-socceroos-boss-arnold-helped-melbourne-city-snare-talented-rookie-shot-stopper

What I liked was that his stops and interceptions looked unspectacular because he was well positioned every time. Bouzanis would have been poorly positioned for at least one of their shots on target

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Thanks Arnie!

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/how-socceroos-boss-arnold-helped-melbourne-city-snare-talented-rookie-shot-stopper

What I liked was that his stops and interceptions looked unspectacular because he was well positioned every time. Bouzanis would have been poorly positioned for at least one of their shots on target

And letting Bouzanis know that he has competition.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

Olyroos came at the wrong time for Tommy unfortunately. Despite the fact he’s certainly the better option as starting keeper, I can’t see Dean getting dropped this week after two straight clean sheets.

What gives me the irrits is that it took a decent young lad to come to the club before Bouzanis could be bothered to lift his game.

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

What gives me the irrits is that it took a decent young lad to come to the club before Bouzanis could be bothered to lift his game.

I don't agree with this, there is a perception that Dean doesn't care. I actually think he cares more than most, he probably just got a little comfortable. If he didn't care he wouldn't have gone back and clearly tried to work on some of his deficiencies. His last 3 weeks have been pretty good 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, neio said:

I don't agree with this, there is a perception that Dean doesn't care. I actually think he cares more than most, he probably just got a little comfortable. If he didn't care he wouldn't have gone back and clearly tried to work on some of his deficiencies. His last 3 weeks have been pretty good 

"A little comfortable" is just splitting hairs.

25 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

Personally didn’t watch any of the Olympia but there’s a common theme that Glover was pretty average is this correct ?

Tom Glover - 6.5

He played every single minute of the AFC U23 Championships and kept his second clean sheet in the knockout phase. Glover came of age in this tournament between the sticks.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tomi said:

Dont read into the player ratings written by a so called journalist on FTBL please. Glover played great. More deserving of an 8. These fools who write these player ratings hype up their favourites all the time. Watch the games and form your own opinion.

I think he was rated a little lower because he didn’t score a goal (that’s probably what this journalist thinks).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Nate said:

courtesy of A-League memes lmao

86192777_2731343053628024_35580287456987

This is gold, but it does also highlight the fact that Bouzanis is an 'experienced' keeper and shouldn't be making some of the mistakes he makes, whilst Glover is still learning and is a good keeper (IMO better than Bouzanis) with potential.

21 minutes ago, malloy said:

This is gold, but it does also highlight the fact that Bouzanis is an 'experienced' keeper and shouldn't be making some of the mistakes he makes, whilst Glover is still learning and is a good keeper (IMO better than Bouzanis) with potential.

I think it's just good that Glover does* the most basic stuff are keeper should be trying to do and that is keep the ball out of the net and remove the ball from danger. 

* beside his brain fade on Friday 

• Like 1

Yes an experienced keeper like Dean has a higher standard for some of those basics. I’m shocked though that some people are suggesting Glover had a good game.

*Picked up a back pass that led to the Tards only good chance of the game.
* Gifted them a goal.

Having said that:

All keepers make mistakes. When they do it’s mostly a goal.

Dean got dropped initially as he was pretty much doing it every week, Glover on the other hand has had one bad game.

44 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Yes an experienced keeper like Dean has a higher standard for some of those basics. I’m shocked though that some people are suggesting Glover had a good game.

* Gifted them a goal.

Having said that:

Dean got dropped initially as he was pretty much doing it every week, Glover on the other hand has had one bad game.

100%. Had 2 brain farts that had he a few more years experience would cause him some grief amongst supporters. But the way he defended the air at times during the game was sublime. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, n i k o said:

100%. Had 2 brain farts that had he a few more years experience would cause him some grief amongst supporters. But the way he defended the air at times during the game was sublime. 

I loved the way he bolted off his line when Toivakunt got behind our defence in the first 30 seconds and beat him to the ball. That early in a game, it would have been very easy for him to be half asleep.. 

Deano's hesitation against WU a few weeks back got them fair and square back into a game they had no right to.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rass said:

I loved the way he bolted off his line when Toivakunt got behind our defence in the first 30 seconds and beat him to the ball. That early in a game, it would have been very easy for him to be half asleep.. 

Deano's hesitation against WU a few weeks back got them fair and square back into a game they had no right to.

Feel a lot more comfortable with Glover in goals even with his lack of experience. He just seems to have more of a presence/confidence between the sticks... Hopefully we don't see Floganis back in goals again! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

* Gifted them a goal.

Having said that:

The two mistakes go a long way in determining whether Glover had a good game, however disregarding those two big mistakes Glovers performance was above what Bouzanis normally produces (disregarding Bouzanis' own big mistskes). We can praise the performance of Glover and disregard those mistakes in doing so on the basis that he is young and still learning/maturing as a GK.

Additinally, in praising his performance there is a component that is actually praising/recognising his prospects.

4 hours ago, Shahanga said:

* Gifted them a goal.

Having said that:

He also did that thing in the first game he played where he took too long to kick it and got a indirect free kick

The mistakes glover makes are peculiar ones. 

1 hour ago, malloy said:

The two mistakes go a long way in determining whether Glover had a good game, however disregarding those two big mistakes Glovers performance was above what Bouzanis normally produces (disregarding Bouzanis' own big mistskes). We can praise the performance of Glover and disregard those mistakes in doing so on the basis that he is young and still learning/maturing as a GK and we won.

Additinally, in praising his performance there is a component that is actually praising/recognising his prospects.

Ftfy

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know how to word this without it sounding like I don't like the y guy, cause I don't mind him

But geez he is lucky that his amutuer mistakes havnt cost us more. In however many game she has played there has been 4 terrible mistakes. When he took too long to kick ball and gave indirect free away against jets, the back pass against victory, the goal from free kick against victory and his wall set up yesterday. Its only cost us 1 goal in a game we won, but easily could have been 4 goals

I think he has talent, but he has to eradicate these moments as they are really bad, and against teams like Perth or Sydney I imagine they will capatalise 

23 minutes ago, neio said:

I don't know how to word this without it sounding like I don't like the y guy, cause I don't mind him

But geez he is lucky that his amutuer mistakes havnt cost us more. In however many game she has played there has been 4 terrible mistakes. When he took too long to kick ball and gave indirect free away against jets, the back pass against victory, the goal from free kick against victory and his wall set up yesterday. Its only cost us 1 goal in a game we won, but easily could have been 4 goals

I think he has talent, but he has to eradicate these moments as they are really bad, and against teams like Perth or Sydney I imagine they will capatalise 

Both Young and Glover showed us yesterday what goalkeepers are supposed to do - make that last-ditch effort to stop the ball going past them into the net.

Bouzanis would have stood rooted to the spot and watched the ball sail past him where both of them made saves yesterday.

IMO the problem yesterday wasn't Glover - it was our defence at panic stations for the last few minutes of play and conceding stupid free-kicks.

9 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Both Young and Glover showed us yesterday what goalkeepers are supposed to do - make that last-ditch effort to stop the ball going past them into the net.

Bouzanis would have stood rooted to the spot and watched the ball sail past him where both of them made saves yesterday.

IMO the problem yesterday wasn't Glover - it was our defence at panic stations for the last few minutes of play and conceding stupid free-kicks.

I'm not saying glover was a problem yesterday, he was fine... But if oshea free kick went in rather than half a metre wide, that was squarely on glover and where he set his wall up

He is young, he is allowed to make mistakes. I just hope we arnt glossing over them cause they havnt cost us anything yet

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, neio said:

I'm not saying glover was a problem yesterday, he was fine... But if oshea free kick went in rather than half a metre wide, that was squarely on glover and where he set his wall up

He is young, he is allowed to make mistakes. I just hope we arnt glossing over them cause they havnt cost us anything yet

Big fan of Glover, but yes, I would have thought he would have learned a lesson about settinv up walls correctly after playing for Olyroos.

Maybe it is something our GK coach needs to work with him on.

• Like 2