Melbourne Football

Tom Glover

neio

Interesting decision. 

If Bouzanis is injured for an extended period of time we’re left with an untried and untested kid who has only a handful of unflattering senior matches to his name. It’s a big risk.

In saying that, I hope that he develops his game down here. It would be nice to develop a young Australian keeper into a Socceroo. The Club must see potential so good luck to him.

10 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Interesting decision. 

If Bouzanis is injured for an extended period of time we’re left with an untried and untested kid who has only a handful of unflattering senior matches to his name. It’s a big risk.

In saying that, I hope that he develops his game down here. It would be nice to develop a young Australian keeper into a Socceroo. The Club must see potential so good luck to him.

Untried and untested...mateeee

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

Interesting decision. 

With the present rules there are two alternatives. One is that you have two GKs who are of starting, and roughly equivalent, ability and who theoretically will challenge each other for the role of preferred GK. We did this with the Galekovic/Birighitti and until recently the Bouzanis/Birighitti pairings. Essentially you pay twice for one position, and both these pairings had the same result - one player occupying the position while other kicked his heels. The second alternative is the one we're trying now - an obvious starting GK with a back-up who can do the job if called upon for a short period at least. Don't forget that a long-term injury to an obvious No. 1 GK can be addressed with an injury-replacement player, if you can find such a player.

IMO what we're doing now is far better in terms of salary cap management.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Afif Adam said:

Bouzanis is overrated, Glover will take over if he’s given the chance

Don’t think anyone overrates Bouzanis. He’s adequate. 

If you think that’s overrating him then we’ll disagree. 

But what makes you so sure Glover will surpass him? Might happen but going by his record I doubt it. 63 goals conceded from 30 isn’t good. 

@jw1739 The injury replacement option is handy but it could be difficult finding a decent one. I don’t like having kids as backup keepers as a rule. Doesn’t happen often for a reason.

I'm pretty comfortable with Bouzanis being our clear number 1, he was pretty solid in his last full season here. He makes mistakes, but name a keeper in aleague who doesnt

Hopefully glover can compete with him and push him, to spend the amount of time as he did at Tottenham he must have some talent 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, n i k o said:

Is it me or is there more hate for Bouzanis than is warranted...?

It's ridiculous, the last full season he played here he was pretty good. From memory he came 4th in forum player of the season. Yes he makes mistakes but so does every keeper in this league. I honestly think he is just an easy target for people to blame

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Not hate. IMO it's dawning slowly on many people that he is just an average goalkeeper. There's just no comparison between him and say Thomas or Kurto.

Yeh but it's dawning on them now? In pre season? What about when he was here with us last time. And is every player being looked at with the same critical eye? And what is that comparison between keeper based on? What have the others done that Bouzanis hasn't? 

Happy for you to 'open my eyes' and show me what I'm missing...

Edited by n i k o

55 minutes ago, neio said:

It's ridiculous, the last full season he played here he was pretty good. From memory he came 4th in forum player of the season. Yes he makes mistakes but so does every keeper in this league. I honestly think he is just an easy target for people to blame

He was rubbish, watched and stood to look at the balls fly in. Rubbish distribution too.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

All players make mistakes. Glover will make his. But at last a GK who understands what he's supposed to do.

I reckon there's a good chance Bouzanis will be on his way in January. He won't like being demoted.

Unless we can find a keeper of equal it better quality than I doubt he will go. And anyway he will get 3 games in January when glover leaves for international duty

A good 'keeping' game. Looked far superior in the air to Deano.
Deano's distribution strength was highlighted though imo, Glover pretty poor by foot. But like many have said, the keepers primary role is to keep the ball out of the net, and on that basis, a pretty good debut from the young fella.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Deano's distribution strength was highlighted though imo, Glover pretty poor by foot. But like many have said, the keepers primary role is to keep the ball out of the net, and on that basis, a pretty good debut from the young fella.

I can't remember the last game I've seen so many under arm throws. He did everything required and had 2 decent saves, first from Petratos and the second from Judas in the second. 

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Did you mean to use the word poor? Sure he looked to play it safe with his feet but by definition I don't remember him making any stuff ups with his feet. Or did I miss something...

7 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Did you mean to use the word poor? Sure he looked to play it safe with his feet but by definition I don't remember him making any stuff ups with his feet. Or did I miss something...

Goalkeeper kicks were a big hit and miss, think he means that.

Edited by Mr MO

9 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Haha i thought he was very poor by foot on anything long. i can def recall at least one going straight out, and most just being kinda hit to nowhere.

BUT the point i was trying to make is that whilst distribution is important, being able to keep the ball out of the net is far more so, and on that front he was very good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Haha i thought he was very poor by foot on anything long. i can def recall at least one going straight out, and most just being kinda hit to nowhere.

BUT the point i was trying to make is that whilst distribution is important, being able to keep the ball out of the net is far more so, and on that front he was very good.

Couldn't agree more. He did well. Saw the ball early and got down to it nicely. At last a keeper's keeper. 

He’s got a funny habit of holding the ball in the position he caught it for a few seconds. But anyway he just seems really strong aerially. And gets down well for a big guy.  

It could be the influence of Neil Young the new GK coach we’re seeing in Glover. I get the feeling that Bouzanis thinks he knows all there is to know, and is somewhat difficult to coach at 28, whereas a younger kid like Glover is a sponge and keen to learn.