Melbourne Football

Transfers

malloy

Football manager? Haha.

Negative. Transfermarkt.co.uk

Completely agree with you. Of the three potemtial re-signs, Bolton, Srhoj and Thompson, none of them are that good that we should be bargaining with them to retain them. If they want to stay, it should be on our terms and not theirs. In the case of Bolton we already have Redmayne. Srhoj works hard, but hasn't scored a goal in two seasons, and we can do just as well elsewhere. And in Thompson's case he had a terrible second half of the season and I reckon he's lucky if we're still talking to him.

Thompson is still under contract AFAIK. Srhoj and Bolton are the only two remaining players not under contract and in discussion with the club.

Edited by kingawesomeness

great news for us. another season in the a-league won't be too bad for his development anyway. gotta give him a pay rise and get him to sign a 2 yr deal though, so we can cash in on him when the next club comes sniffing.

does everyone still think it's worth using a visa spot on a cb? or are good amd hamill enough?

definitely worth having a defensive player on a visa providing they are high quality. As I said before, would be ideal to have a CB who can play as a DM or a DM who can play as a CB.

as for Shroj, Would rather keep him than Thompson tbh.

• Like 1

would free up a heap of salary cap space if colosimo and shroj leave, would probably give Aloisi 1mill to work with.

Hopefully we get the visa players spot on in terms of quality. Although it would be good to also sign 1 or 2 high quality Australian players given that most visa players don't stay around longer than 2 seasons

At the press conference where they announced aloisi as coach. Every player was there except for colosimo and shroj.

I reckon we've signed on bolton and let the other two go and like I have stated before. Victory will be colosimos new home

was Thompson there?

i will actually be happy if he (Colosimo) leaves.

my uncle works for greek radio station 3xy...he can confirm from a very reliable source that charisteas is moving to australia, and is moving to melbourne becouse of the GFC (greek finanical crisis lol) and will be looking at speaking to either victory or heart. Also there are a number of greek players from second division and lower clubs in the superleauge who are making the move to Australia, so there will be plenty on offer for all clubs.

personal opinion is if heart are looking for a striker then Charisteas would be perfect for 2-3 seasons...if they are looking at a LW and CB...Center back being the position we most despratly need to fill, then the should look at italian clubs, ive noticed they have a huge range of tall defenders compared to other leauges. And seen as though JA knows alot of people overseas( italian leauge), it is a very realalistic goal that we can get the right person for the job...(excuse some of my spelling im still half asleep and need to do some studying, but needed to post this asap lol) any thoughts?

That will certainly boost membership and goals. Sign him now before Victory does. Heart will be doomed if Victory get him.

would hope we keep Thompson, his 2nd half of the season was rubbish, but he's our most versatile player. Plus he's also a leader on and off the park, and with a better quality holding midfielder in the team he would able to play the box to box role he's so effective in.

Colosimo leaving wouldn't be an issue if we sign a CB with some European experience. He's been too much of a liability at the back, giving away fouls in and around the box all too frequently.

Colosimo leaving wouldn't be an issue if we sign a CB with some European experience. He's been too much of a liability at the back, giving away fouls in and around the box all too frequently.

and injured. I'm more than happy to see him off. He's arrogant, and expensive. Move him on.

He's arrogant

You ever met the guy?

Absolute champ IMO.

Would be sad to see him go purely from his experience, though if it meant we could make a reasonable offer to someone like Madaschi... Would happily say goodbye.

• Like 4

You ever met the guy?

Absolute champ IMO.

Would be sad to see him go purely from his experience, though if it meant we could make a reasonable offer to someone like Madaschi... Would happily say goodbye.

yep, both family days. Think he has been pissed since losing the captaincy (and he wasn't happy in the lead up).

Whatever, his fouls around the box and his poor attitude towards the bench when playing etc is the main reason for me he can move on. I could put up with him being arrogant if he was a superstar, but, if i recall correctly, that dude from Man U at the MCG that night probably fixed that. Maybe that's why he's bitter and twisted and moves clubs at the drop of a hat.

Edited by Jake

Thompson was there and Halloran is also close to signing, He doesn't want to go to Victory because he doesn't want to be the next "Rojas" He wants to come to Heart and be the next "Dugandzic".

so Halloran wants to come to Heart? ^_^

even if he doesnt, he can go to mongs for a year, and then come to us for even cheeper (a la Dugandzic!)

yep, both family days. Think he has been pissed since losing the captaincy (and he wasn't happy in the lead up).

Whatever, his fouls around the box and his poor attitude towards the bench when playing etc is the main reason for me he can move on. I could put up with him being arrogant if he was a superstar, but, if i recall correctly, that dude from Man U at the MCG that night probably fixed that. Maybe that's why he's bitter and twisted and moves clubs at the drop of a hat.

off topic, but what happened to family day end of season?

would hope we keep Thompson, his 2nd half of the season was rubbish.

Obviously rubbish because he was injured and never got back to 100%. He was rushed back in. Never took on anyone since his return. Always passed.

Obviously rubbish because he was injured and never got back to 100%. He was rushed back in. Never took on anyone since his return. Always passed.

He wasn't the same player in the 2nd half of the season, wouldn't mind seeing him given a run at LB and Aziz pushed up on the wing and see how that works. He was immense for Newcastle when he initially filled in at LB, and eventually got some games for the Socceroo's in that position.

off topic, but what happened to family day end of season?

season one = FD end of the season

season two = FD start of the season

season three = suspect start of the season now MH administration have their act together

• Like 1

Halloran would be a very good signing.

Aziz is a Wing Back, sadly for him nobody really uses these anymore.

He will never really work as a LW IMO as he always goes on gallant runs to nowhere as the guy cannot really cross or shoot...

Play him on RW. Play Dugandzic on LW. This would lead to us winning every game by 5 or so goals. Srs.

+1

Poor guy was picked on quite a bit. I'd say JVS didn't get along with him. other blokes can take it, but not a hot blooded passionate European. IMO top bloke also, has a lot of respect by the club and players also. On field antics are out of character. But time to move on. Clubs bigger than an individual. He'll thank JVS for cutting his time short.

+1

Poor guy was picked on quite a bit. I'd say JVS didn't get along with him. other blokes can take it, but not a hot blooded passionate European. IMO top bloke also, has a lot of respect by the club and players also. On field antics are out of character. But time to move on. Clubs bigger than an individual. He'll thank JVS for cutting his time short.

Just who are you referring to here?

The fact that after Colosimo, Fred also had his problems with JVS leads me to think JVS was probably not the greatest coach in terms of people management with elder players. Perhaps because he comes from a Youth Coach background where its more of teaching relationship.

Kinda of weird seeing Fred upset, the guy seems the happiest bloke I have ever meet...

The fact that after Colosimo, Fred also had his problems with JVS leads me to think JVS was probably not the greatest coach in terms of people management with elder players. Perhaps because he comes from a Youth Coach background where its more of teaching relationship.

Kinda of weird seeing Fred upset, the guy seems the happiest bloke I have ever meet...

+1

have always thought this was one of the reasons he liked to sign younger players, it was probably easier for him to deal with them

Colosimo is at the PFA Asia congress - which is probably why he wasn't at the announcement. My guess is that he'll stay on. I think he and Aloisi are reasonably close.

I'd be happy to trade up from Colosimo to a Madashi or someone if we could, but if Colosimo and Good are both around next year, I'm inclined to spend more on a top class midfielder and perhaps a striker, and just have cover for those three at the back. Both Hamill and Good should be in the matchday squad. They're both good enough, and if they're denied opportunities, will probably be lured elsewhere. And Colosimo is on a high wage anyway, so spending big on another CB is a bit of overkill when we could be using the salary cap space we have on another gun to partner Fred in the middle of the park.

Edited by Sash

Colosimo is at the PFA Asia congress - which is probably why he wasn't at the announcement. My guess is that he'll stay on. I think he and Aloisi are reasonably close.

I'd be happy to trade up from Colosimo to a Madashi or someone if we could, but if Colosimo and Good are both around next year, I'm inclined to spend more on a top class midfielder and perhaps a striker, and just have cover for those three at the back. Both Hamill and Good should be in the matchday squad. They're both good enough, and if they're denied opportunities, will probably be lured elsewhere. And Colosimo is on a high wage anyway, so spending big on another CB is a bit of overkill when we could be using the salary cap space we have on another gun to partner Fred in the middle of the park.

Overkill?

That absent quality experienced CB literally cost us a home final this year - That is simply a fact.

A CB has too be the priority.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Overkill?

That absent quality experienced CB literally cost us a home final this year - That is simply a fact.

A CB has too be the priority.

He means having Good, Hamill, Colosimo AND another high quality centre back.

(Or so I understand).

Edited by Ellki

I re-read it and I still disagree...

Our CB situation will still be as dire next year and incapable of challenging for the Top 4 if it remains the same, kid defenders need more than one year.

JA says he wants to challenge for the Title while I can assure you that MH will not win a Grand Final with Hamill and Good as the Central Defensive Pairing, they can both play massive roles throughout the Season and Finals but preferably rarely together.

A CB is the priority over another Striker or Midfielder IMO.

• Like 3

I'm in the minority and would pass on a CB. Happy with Good and Hamil.

If Simon stays, I'd be far more inclined to spend on the midfield in an attempt to keep the ball locked in.

The two kids had far too much work and pressure on them last season.

With Shroj gone ideally we find a gun DM that is comfortable at CB if for god forbid two of the CB are injured concurrently.

• Like 1

I re-read it and I still disagree...

Our CB situation will still be as dire next year and incapable of challenging for the Top 4 if it remains the same, kid defenders need more than one year.

JA says he wants to challenge for the Title while I can assure you that MH will not win a Grand Final with Hamill and Good as the Central Defensive Pairing, they can both play massive roles throughout the Season and Finals but preferably rarely together.

A CB is the priority over another Striker or Midfielder IMO.

i think ideally we would want

out: Colosimo

in: Madaschi

which leaves our CB options as Hamill, Good, Madaschi. THEN our signing should be a high quality defensive midfielder, with experience, who can also play well as CB. So if Madaschi is suspended/injured we still have an experienced player to play CB next to the younger Hamill/Good

The thing is, Colosimo is on what, $250,000 or $300,000? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Another experienced quality CB might cost as much or more. I think at least one of Good or Hamill should be playing with the other on the bench if not on the park. So that would be a big chunk of our salary cap being spent on one position, and we won't be getting value for it because one of either Colosimo or the other experienced CB may not even make the squad if all are fit.

To get a better balance, we need another club to take on Colosimo and pay his contract, or wait until next year to sign a Madaschi/Ognenovski or whoever, when Colosimo is out of contract. Like downbylaw said, I'd prefer maybe a really good DM who can also play CB if needed.

The thing is, Colosimo is on what, $250,000 or $300,000? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Another experienced quality CB might cost as much or more. I think at least one of Good or Hamill should be playing with the other on the bench if not on the park. So that would be a big chunk of our salary cap being spent on one position, and we won't be getting value for it because one of either Colosimo or the other experienced CB may not even make the squad if all are fit.

To get a better balance, we need another club to take on Colosimo and pay his contract, or wait until next year to sign a Madaschi/Ognenovski or whoever, when Colosimo is out of contract. Like downbylaw said, I'd prefer maybe a really good DM who can also play CB if needed.

I thought there are more than 2 other CB defenders in Australia?

In fact we have visa spots open, so are there not more than 2 CB we can target in the world?

I cant help but think you devalue the position that is a Centre Half - In my experience if a team has a dominate Centre Half it can set the tone of the match just as more/ if not more than a dominate DM.

Also we tried a good CM at CB in Thompson with some success in past but as the experience proved not enough success - You need a CB at CB IMO.

In fact we have visa spots open, so are there not more than 2 CB we can target in the world?

I cant help but think you devalue the position that is a Centre Half - In my experience if a team has a dominate Centre Half it can set the tone of the match just as more/ if not more than a dominate DM.

Also we tried a good CM at CB in Thompson with some success in past but as the experience proved not enough success - You need a CB at CB IMO.

Yes.

I'm really not sure why people still go on about Madaschi coming back to Heart. AFAIK he's signed a two-year contract in Korea, so it's pretty much out of the question.

As for Colosimo, he has one year of his contract to run. I can't really see anyone else wanting him, so I think we are stuck with him.

By my calculations we have 13 contracted players for next season, plus Thompson if he has another year to run. Leaving us 8-10 positions we can fill in the A-League squad. We did not exceed the cap last year, so it would appear that we have plenty of room to move if we really want to go after a particular player.

I would have thought that another quallity experienced CB was essential for next season. We needed one last season - and for 10 games we had one and the results showed what a difference he made. I can't follow any argument that says we don't need one for next season.

I'm inlove with Madaschi as much as the next guy.

But seriously. There is not just one player like Madaschi in the world. There are bound to be other players like him playing somewhere.

Inb4 someone telling me name them.

I can't even name the Aus national team players.

If we can get an experienced CB who can organise our defence without spending heaps, then great. I'm not saying we shouldn't recruit a CB at all. In fact, I think we need one, if only for injury cover. I'm not devaluing the position. It's more about how we should use our limited resources. With Colosimo already on the books, and two good developing players, I'd rather spend on quality elsewhere.

The key is having at least 1 experienced CB available and injury free at all times during the season.

Had a quick look at the lineups throughout this season, and found it interesting that:

- From a total of 27 rounds played, we had 17 matches where either Madaschi/Colosimo were available

- Out of those 17 matches, when we had an experienced centre back ON THE GROUND, we conceded a total of 14 goals

- Out of those matches, we conceded more than once on only 3 occasions

So perhaps it wasn't the fact that we didn't have an experienced CB which cost us a home final, but maybe more so that our conditioning staff couldn't provide us with a fully fit squad to select from until basically the last round of the regular season.