Melbourne Football

Transfers

malloy

Be great if more were like emmo but in all honesty i don't blame them. They are in the position to set up generations of their offspring but I'll never bag someone who comes home early to help 'the game' to their financial detriment. Unless Neil comes back next season then whats the point his all ready 36(?) and Mark is a 32 year old midfielder so his time would be next season as well but probably both on 70k a week with a year or two left at that level. Fuck giving blokes a pension imo.

F--- giving blokes a pension imo.

Quite so.

Only worth signing someone over 29 if they are a real crowd-puller who is going to add 3,000 to the number of full season-ticket holders and another 2,000 casuals.

If the club's football department can't see it after the results in 2012 then they never will. Nine goals in twelve games, and never more than one goal in any game. We need two more guys up front who can actually score goals. If we're going to play wide with traditional wingers then get two who can actually beat a man and cross the ball. We need two midfielders who can actually control the ball with one touch, actually pass it to another Heart player along the ground, move to receive the return pass, and when opportunity presents actually shoot for goal. And a tall strong centre-back who actually clears the bloody ball out of the danger zone.

We have far too many players on the present list who are just not playing anywhere near their potential. It says plenty that we had young Craig Goodwin from the NYL in the squad for the Phoenix game while other highly-paid senior squad members were not.

IMO all those coming out of contract at the end of this season should be released unless they are seen as absolutely essential by the incoming coach.

Otherwise, as I've said ad nauseam, we will be grubbing around in the bottom half of the table again next season.

I've heard the club doesn't want to make any decisions on anymore players futures or incoming players until the new manager has been appointed, which makes me feel like that's close...

If that's true - and I have no reason to doubt you, because it seems logical - then that's a good thing. Because I don't think it is right for JvS to be a part of the decision-making.

Look at the highest scoring strikers throughout the game's history and a majority of them scored most of their goals by situations you class as Tap-In's

Highest scoring striker in Yarraside history here. Can confirm this.

In fact usually they worth more as if you have a player who mainly scores from a lot of Tap In's rather than by other ways it usually means he is an efficent striker who scores at will... as a Tap is the efficent way of shooting.

I'm all about efficiency.

In that case can u do my tax when your finished?

Strong knowledge of what an accountant does.

Should perhaps look into the make up of the board of directors of every large company, the background of CFOs, CEOs. etc.

These Eastern Suburbs phaggots I went to uni with spent their whole life preparing to be an accountant, and its not to do people's taxes rof.

Edited by Tesla

There is talk of a clean out over at The Draw (or is that "The Loss")?. If the deal was right, I would love to have A Thompson - OK not the youngest, but would be a great coach for Babalj and would still have an impact off the bench.

(Stands back and waits for the onslaught.)

• Like 2

There is talk of a clean out over at The Draw (or is that "The Loss")?. If the deal was right, I would love to have A Thompson - OK not the youngest, but would be a great coach for Babalj and would still have an impact off the bench.

for 100,000 a year i would take him but nothing more

Oh ffs you're kidding aren't you ? Should we bring Kevin muscat as head coach while we're at it ?

When JVS gets a coaching job in Europe and signs our players, I think it would only be fair if he gives us a young Dutch striker on loan for a year.

The key thing is to make sure the transfer deal includes a percentage of the fee when the player is on-sold.

• Like 1

after the wellington match, it's clear that we need more quality in the squad to finish off the chances we're creating. What concerns me is that from the 5 available visa players we're allowed, only TWO were in the starting lineup, one of them played 10minutes and the other 2 weren't even selected in the matchday squad. IMO visa players should be signed because they are of a higher quality of the average a-league player and therefore should be selected in the squad when fully fit. Obviously this isn't the case when at the moment only Fred and Germano have enough quality to be in the starting 11 most weeks.

If we had 3 extra players in that matchday squad that were a level above the league like Fred and Germano, there's no doubt we would have finished a lot of those opportunities on the weekend and probably created even more. The club needs to recruit visa players very wisely for next season. We've got a very good core group of australian players, and we will most likely have the opportunity to recruit 3 visa players in the off-season which IMO could be the difference between a championship winning year and another mid-table finish.

after the wellington match, it's clear that we need more quality in the squad to finish off the chances we're creating. What concerns me is that from the 5 available visa players we're allowed, only TWO were in the starting lineup, one of them played 10minutes and the other 2 weren't even selected in the matchday squad. IMO visa players should be signed because they are of a higher quality of the average a-league player and therefore should be selected in the squad when fully fit. Obviously this isn't the case when at the moment only Fred and Germano have enough quality to be in the starting 11 most weeks.

If we had 3 extra players in that matchday squad that were a level above the league like Fred and Germano, there's no doubt we would have finished a lot of those opportunities on the weekend and probably created even more. The club needs to recruit visa players very wisely for next season. We've got a very good core group of australian players, and we will most likely have the opportunity to recruit 3 visa players in the off-season which IMO could be the difference between a championship winning year and another mid-table finish.

Next season we're allowed just four visa players under the 3+1 rule (Scott Munn, HeartCast). We already have two contracted - Fred and Germano. So we have to release at least two of Worm, Terra and Maycon, and will, I'm sure now, release all three. We can then recruit one from anywhere, and one more if he is from an Asian FC country.

However, that doesn't take away from your main point. There are far too many blokes in the senior squad who are just not pushing for places, meaning that we're really playing with a squad of 14-15 bolstered by Goodwin and Mattei. Of those coming out of contract, I would possibly keep Srhoj and Taseski. The others are just not playing to either their wage or their potential. Unfortunately, that will still leave a couple who are not pushing for a place, the most notable being David Williams.

A-League clubs just cannot afford to carry players in the hope that they come out of a form slump.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

No, New Zealand isn't in AFC, they are OFC and count towards the '3', unless of course if they are Aussie Citizens like Smeltz.

Would live to see an international CB like Lars Jackobsen or Ant Alcarez. Not a superstar but a solid footballer with a strong background.

squad for next season so far should look something like this:

Keepers: Redmayne

Defenders: Marrone, Colosimo, Good, Hamill, Behich

Midfielders: Fred, Germano, Thompson, Kalmar, Shroj

Forwards: Babalj, Dugandzic, Williams, Zahra, Hoffman

16 Players altogether, including 2 visa players. Gives us room to sign 2 more visa players, one being from the AFC, and between 3-5 Australian players (depending whether the club chooses to promote both Goodwin and Z.Walker from the youth team)

I demand that the two visa spots are spent on:

1) A proven goalscorer who is also marketable and handsome, preferably colombian. eg. Milton Rodriguez

2) 6'4 centreback of eastern european descent, bonus points for face disfigurement.

• Like 1

squad for next season so far should look something like this:

Keepers: Redmayne

Defenders: Marrone, Colosimo, Good, Hamill, Behich

Midfielders: Fred, Germano, Thompson, Kalmar, Shroj

Forwards: Babalj, Dugandzic, Williams, Zahra, Hoffman

16 Players altogether, including 2 visa players. Gives us room to sign 2 more visa players, one being from the AFC, and between 3-5 Australian players (depending whether the club chooses to promote both Goodwin and Z.Walker from the youth team)

Neither Thompson nor Srhoj have been signed. I'd say they're possibly still in the mix, along with Taseski. IMO Thompson has been a disappointment this year, particularly in recent weeks. So many times caught on the ball or passing direct to the opposition.

Sure we'll offer Goodwin a contract, but not sure about Zac Walker.

It will all depend on our new manager plus any offers from other clubs.

I think we'll know next 4-6 weeks.

Agreed with Micha, sign a goal scorer with character & a giant lad at CB.

I'm pretty sure that Richmond will be happy to release Angus Graham, he is somewhat of a giant.

However if you are looking for talent as well, then I'd maybe reconsider that option.

I thought I might chime in on this thread.

A lot of people believe that we need a goal scorer and a defender as our priority signings. And while I think we need cover in those areas, I think our young players have stepped up fantastically as the season has gone on. Babalj has improved out of sight compared to how he played in the first season and I would suspect he will again. Yes we need cover for that position, but I would still have Babalj as first choice. Same goes for Good and Hamil at the back. Although I certainly wouldn't mind another senior CB to complement or replace Colosimo.

The biggest area for me ( which I understand might confuse some) that needs bolstering is the midfield. Right now we have three to four midfielders of A-League quality in Fred, Thommo, Germano and Shroj, and it is questionable that any of those players will still be A-League quality in 2 years. As we have seen this season, if we have injuries with these players the team suffers. Even against Wellington when the three on those players where subbed the team lost control of the game.

If the 3+1 is coming in next season then we must spend our Asia visa spot on a highly technical central midfielder (either attack or defensive) as that is what are most likely to find cheaply in Asia. And then adding to that I would love us to break the bank for Bresc. With a healthy Bresc pulling the strings in midfield then we go to being title contenders next season. I want a higher percentage of our player budget spent of midfield as that is where the strength of our style comes from and it makes sense that our squad strengths should mirror that. I want to see us moving towards ball movement like Tokyo FC showed and that requires quality midfielders.

We have suffered badly from season ending injuries to 3 first team players in Kalmar, Taseski and Zahra so that is an area of concern as we can't have significant section of the squad missing from the whole season again. It feels like we have been operating on a skeleton squad all season.

We have suffered badly from season ending injuries to 3 first team players in Kalmar, Taseski and Zahra so that is an area of concern as we can't have significant section of the squad missing from the whole season again. It feels like we have been operating on a skeleton squad all season.

rest of what you said was right, but colosimo's getting old (34-35 i believe) and we need a solid center half to compete for a place with him.

good and hamill cant YET play with each other as center halves - too young and mistakes become a possibility

zahra possibly but kalmar and taseski are not first team players.

I thought I might chime in on this thread.

A lot of people believe that we need a goal scorer and a defender as our priority signings. And while I think we need cover in those areas, I think our young players have stepped up fantastically as the season has gone on. Babalj has improved out of sight compared to how he played in the first season and I would suspect he will again. Yes we need cover for that position, but I would still have Babalj as first choice. Same goes for Good and Hamil at the back. Although I certainly wouldn't mind another senior CB to complement or replace Colosimo.

The biggest area for me ( which I understand might confuse some) that needs bolstering is the midfield. Right now we have three to four midfielders of A-League quality in Fred, Thommo, Germano and Shroj, and it is questionable that any of those players will still be A-League quality in 2 years. As we have seen this season, if we have injuries with these players the team suffers. Even against Wellington when the three on those players where subbed the team lost control of the game.

If the 3+1 is coming in next season then we must spend our Asia visa spot on a highly technical central midfielder (either attack or defensive) as that is what are most likely to find cheaply in Asia. And then adding to that I would love us to break the bank for Bresc. With a healthy Bresc pulling the strings in midfield then we go to being title contenders next season. I want a higher percentage of our player budget spent of midfield as that is where the strength of our style comes from and it makes sense that our squad strengths should mirror that. I want to see us moving towards ball movement like Tokyo FC showed and that requires quality midfielders.

I agree with a lot of this. More quality and depth in midfield is more important than central defenders. I think Good, Hamill and Colosimo are good enough at this level and we can do with cover rather than replacements (depending on if one of them get an offer from overseas).

But as much potential as Babalj has shown, I don't think he's ready yet to be our no. 1 up front. Ideally, I think he should be combining his appearances in the first team with some more development in the youth league where he can work on the areas he needs to improve on. We can't do that now because we don't have anyone better to play his position. This season, we've been a Berisha or Ifill or Smeltz away from contending with Roar and CCM for top of the table. How often have we been unable to take advantage of our ascendancy in matches? - Wellington this week, the two derbies we've drawn, the CCM game we lost a few weeks ago . . . that's 9 points we've missed out on in games we were well on top.

Anyway, next season we'll need to improve again to stay competetive. Another technically gifted midfielder (no question we struggle without Fred, and someone who's fit so not Hernandez IMO) and a goal scorer should be at the top of our list.

Could we look at Solorzano again? He might be part of the clean out at Victory. We were after him last year and I think we can ignore this season because it's been a disaster all over the place there. I've only seen him in the third derby this year and I thought he was one of their best that night. Although I think he might've been struggling with osteitis pubis or something earlier this season, so we should avoid if there are still questions about his fitness.

Could we look at Solorzano again? He might be part of the clean out at Victory. We were after him last year and I think we can ignore this season because it's been a disaster all over the place there. I've only seen him in the third derby this year and I thought he was one of their best that night. Although I think he might've been struggling with osteitis pubis or something earlier this season, so we should avoid if there are still questions about his fitness.

met him at moomba, hahahah, called out Solorzano and he turned around, said hello.

would be good to sign him if hes fit, but for some reason would prefer babalj or even (ill get given shit for this one) williams.

i agree played well against us in the derby and nearly got himself a goal, if it wasnt for the execution......

Neither Thompson nor Srhoj have been signed. I'd say they're possibly still in the mix, along with Taseski. IMO Thompson has been a disappointment this year, particularly in recent weeks. So many times caught on the ball or passing direct to the opposition.

Sure we'll offer Goodwin a contract, but not sure about Zac Walker.

It will all depend on our new manager plus any offers from other clubs.

I think we'll know next 4-6 weeks.

I read an article today and it listed all the players that were coming off contract and it went on to say that Shroj was most likely to be re-signed, but made no mention of thompson coming off contract? Going by which players that article said would be re-signed and which weren't to be re-signed i put together that squad ^^^

i agree that thompson hasn't been good lately, but maybe his knee is still not 100% yet from when he injured it

Edited by heart_fan10