Melbourne Football

ACL

LR9

22 minutes ago, Chris p said:

Two absolute buffoons, i cringe that this is the best football punditry can offer in this country 

It's FFAs fault that we cant afford to spend hundreds of millions on transfer fees like china ? 

The fact that there's no transfer fees at all is simple enough reason to make it a valid point

16 minutes ago, n i k o said:

The fact that there's no transfer fees at all is simple enough reason to make it a valid point

NOt saying he FFA are perfect but A-league clubs are free to utilize transfer fees on overseas players 

Victory paid for Carlos hernandez 

1 minute ago, Chris p said:

NOt saying he FFA are perfect but A-league clubs are free to utilize transfer fees on overseas players 

Victory paid for Carlos hernandez 

Your missing the point. The most glaring example is why should any club bother investing in youth development when they won't get compensated for their hard work and money put into the athlete? Their only hope is that the young player willingly stays with them when they've developed into a solid aleague player. There's probably a good chance though that if they get to that stage a club like us will want to snap him up. What does the developing club have to show for it? Nothing at all. No fee, no compensation for the years invested in the player, nothing. And then the club is left to repeat the process of over again and operate at a loss. That has an effect on the club, it has an affect on what players clubs can bring into the league and it has an impact on potential investors wanting to own a club. Who'd want to willingly operate at a loss due to shithouse management of the league by the FFA. It's amazing we currently have owners of any aleague franchise. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, n i k o said:

Your missing the point. The most glaring example is why should any club bother investing in youth development when they won't get compensated for their hard work and money put into the athlete? Their only hope is that the young player willingly stays with them when they've developed into a solid aleague player. There's probably a good chance though that if they get to that stage a club like us will want to snap him up. What does the developing club have to show for it? Nothing at all. No fee, no compensation for the years invested in the player, nothing. And then the club is left to repeat the process of over again and operate at a loss. That has an effect on the club, it has an affect on what players clubs can bring into the league and it has an impact on potential investors wanting to own a club. Who'd want to willingly operate at a loss due to shithouse management of the league by the FFA. It's amazing we currently have owners of any aleague franchise. 

That no transfer fee rule is something I've never understood. It's one of those concepts that people who don't understand economics come up with. Frankly I never thought an organisation like the FFA would be so naive. 

I've no doubt you're right that it's damaging player development. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tesla said:

TBH it would be somewhat unusual to allow transfer fees in a salary capped league. I am of course all for transfer fees being allowed, but loosening (or complete removal) of the salary cap should come in at the same time.

I'm not sure why you are linking the concept of allowing transfer fees with the salary cap. At the moment, when an A-League player wants to transfer from one club to another and both clubs agree to it, what happens is that the player's club releases him from his contract (usually with words such as "to pursue another football opportunity") and then he signs with the new club inside or outside the cap depending on whether he's a marquee or not. He may be wanting a move for more money, or to get more match time, or for some other reason. At the very least IMO the "buying" club should pay the "selling" club the balance of the contract with the "selling" club.

Of course I support the loosening or complete removal of the cap, but I don't see either as necessary for the introduction of transfer fees for moves of players between A-League clubs.

31 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm not sure why you are linking the concept of allowing transfer fees with the salary cap. At the moment, when an A-League player wants to transfer from one club to another and both clubs agree to it, what happens is that the player's club releases him from his contract (usually with words such as "to pursue another football opportunity") and then he signs with the new club inside or outside the cap depending on whether he's a marquee or not. He may be wanting a move for more money, or to get more match time, or for some other reason. At the very least IMO the "buying" club should pay the "selling" club the balance of the contract with the "selling" club.

Of course I support the loosening or complete removal of the cap, but I don't see either as necessary for the introduction of transfer fees for moves of players between A-League clubs.

Agree with this. If Transfer Fess are allowed but the league remains salary capped, who ever is in charge will have to ensure that 0% of the transfer fee goes to the player. Otherwise for example, we could buy Ninkovic for $2.5m but he receives $1.5m, Sydney receives $700k and Ninkovic goes under the cap for  $150k per season on a 2 year contract.

2 hours ago, haz said:

Agree with this. If Transfer Fess are allowed but the league remains salary capped, who ever is in charge will have to ensure that 0% of the transfer fee goes to the player. Otherwise for example, we could buy Ninkovic for $2.5m but he receives $1.5m, Sydney receives $700k and Ninkovic goes under the cap for  $150k per season on a 2 year contract.

Surely that's no different to us sneakily paying Ninkovic outside of the cap?  That can happen now, works well until busted, just ask Perth.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Agree.

All banning transfer fees is doing right now is making developing players valueless.  Its mind numbingly stupid.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Good game to watch. Always feel like watching Victory in the ACL is a win-win; i want all Aus sides to do well and push our league and brand, but you cant help but smile when the Mongs get done.

Anyhoo shite crowd to watch the match. Am i naive in thinking that we'd get a decent normal crowd to acl crowd ratio if we were in it? I just feel like our fans are hungry for it, but could be well off the mark...

2 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Good game to watch. Always feel like watching Victory in the ACL is a win-win; i want all Aus sides to do well and push our league and brand, but you cant help but smile when the Mongs get done.

Anyhoo shite crowd to watch the match. Am i naive in thinking that we'd get a decent normal crowd to acl crowd ratio if we were in it? I just feel like our fans are hungry for it, but could be well off the mark...

Looking forward to watching the highlights when I get home

Considering we have 8000 'rusted on' supporters. Minus 2000 from that for families on a school night, minus another 2000 from people who are too lazy etc I think we would have a solid shout of getting 4000-5000 to a group stage game, particuly in our first season.

Just now, haz said:

Looking forward to watching the highlights when I get home

Considering we have 8000 'rusted on' supporters. Minus 2000 from that for families on a school night, minus another 2000 from people who are too lazy etc I think we would have a solid shout of getting 4000-5000 to a group stage game, particuly in our first season.

Yeh thats about what i think too. 65-70% of members would be one of the better returns though i'd think.

5 hours ago, HEARTinator said:

5000 attended last night, that number is 20% of ~25,000 which is the number of MV season ticket holders. For us that would be like getting ~2000 to an ACL game. 

But MV have been playing poorly lately plus how many times have they been in the ACL? I think our first time we will get 4000. If the club provides cheap/free tickets then 5000

On 14/02/2018 at 11:30 AM, HEARTinator said:

5000 attended last night, that number is 20% of ~25,000 which is the number of MV season ticket holders. For us that would be like getting ~2000 to an ACL game. 

It’s not their fault. The conditions of their parole don’t allow them to go out mid week.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, n i k o said:

Watching these Asian teams is a joy. They have such deft touch, like the old yugos that used to come here in the 80s and before, they basically had the ball on a peice of string everytime. Victory players look like they have the deft touch of a dinosaur with the ball at their feet. 

9 hours ago, haz said:

I cant wait for City to be in ACL, but at the same time im worried that we will get fisted badly.... maybe we will get more fund allocations if we do qualify

IMO a great deal depends on the manager when you're playing outside your domestic league, because you have to think outside your familiar box. I would have tipped JvS to be a better manager for ACL matches than WJ would be, because I think he is more of a thinker than our current manager.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhh I dont know how to feel with Victory winning in the last minute. I want aussie teams to do well in the ACL.... but its the Visitors!

I wont mind Victory doing better then Sydney though after Arnold's comments before the start of the campaign. It will also show how favoured (or suited?) Sydney are to the HAL, ie. getting found out for rotational fouling and not resting players.

5 minutes ago, haz said:

Ahhh I dont know how to feel with Victory winning in the last minute. I want aussie teams to do well in the ACL.... but its the Visitors!

I wont mind Victory doing better then Sydney though after Arnold's comments before the start of the campaign. It will also show how favoured (or suited?) Sydney are to the HAL, ie. getting found out for rotational fouling and not resting players.

I know how you feel, but IMO it's an indictment of Heart/City's performances over the 8 seasons so far that we have to seek satisfaction from MV's failures rather than from City's successes.

8 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I know how you feel, but IMO it's an indictment of Heart/City's performances over the 8 seasons so far that we have to seek satisfaction from MV's failures rather than from City's successes.

I think thats a bit harsh (yes I know we are all depressed Heart/City fans) but it was great seeing WSW lift the trophy, and if Victory do it, I'll be very very sour and jelous but overall its good for Australian football.

• 3 weeks later...

Huge win for Sydney last night. Win their last against Shanghai and hope that first placed Kashima take at least a point at home against Suwon and they are through to the Round of 16. Like wise Victory need to accrue more points than Ulsan over the final two games to qualify, starting with Ulsan tonight. If the win tonight, they'll qualify by default on the head to head rule.

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

Huge win for Sydney last night. Win their last against Shanghai and hope that first placed Kashima take at least a point at home against Suwon and they are through to the Round of 16. Like wise Victory need to accrue more points than Ulsan over the final two games to qualify, starting with Ulsan tonight. If the win tonight, they'll qualify by default on the head to head rule.

how did south go in the FFA cup?

• 2 weeks later...