Melbourne Football

Replica kits

fensaddler

This is a bit of thinking out loud, but it'll maybe spark a constructive discussion. It's pretty clear to me that by degrees our former identity and colours are being erased. I've got a fair few red and white City tops, but only one Heart era one. And I have no Heart era merch such as scarves, hats etc. It's possible to buy replica historic kits for many clubs, and indeed some clubs themselves market them. I suppose what I'm getting to is exploring interest in, and the practicalities of, making a replica Heart era kit, and or something like a scarf. So chucking it out there. Thoughts? 

• Like 1

I just wonder how many people really care any more? Unfortunately I don't have the actual membership numbers for the early seasons (there's someone on here who does, but I can't remember who it is - they used to produce a graph for each season), but it would be interesting to know and then to have a stab at what % are still members. Some of the attendances last season were very poor indeed - 1,800 for a quarter-final match against Western Sydney for example - so I question how many people are around who were Foundation Members and therefore whether even if a replica/heritage kit were available how many people would actually be interested in buying one?

I am fortunate to have kept a couple of the Heart scarves, and I also have the "club scarf" from a few seasons ago which is R&W on one side and B&W on the other, with not a trace of navy - that is my favourite. I also have a Heart cap. I refuse to wear anything with navy in it, and most of that stuff I have thrown away.

I suppose your idea was the type of thing that lay behind the idea of a "Supporters Club," but like all of these things you need someone with the time and energy to carry it to fruition. 

Edited by jw1739

Clear enough there's little demand! Pinning my hopes on the third kit and those red training tops we've seen so much of. The bigger issue is a fan voice. The club too often do what they want, and there's little organised way of letting them know what we want, and what really hacks us off. Sometimes they seem to have started listening, but the new kits have made me question that a little. This is my club regardless. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2019 at 11:50 AM, fensaddler said:

This is a bit of thinking out loud, but it'll maybe spark a constructive discussion. It's pretty clear to me that by degrees our former identity and colours are being erased. I've got a fair few red and white City tops, but only one Heart era one. And I have no Heart era merch such as scarves, hats etc. It's possible to buy replica historic kits for many clubs, and indeed some clubs themselves market them. I suppose what I'm getting to is exploring interest in, and the practicalities of, making a replica Heart era kit, and or something like a scarf. So chucking it out there. Thoughts? 

Saw a YSIDE S1 Scarf with Free Worm Badge at that Salvos in Altona for $5.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...