Melbourne Football

Pre-season 2019-20

jw1739

15 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

CFG probably dictate youth players to be included in the first team. This is a part of business model for development and future selling. In other words generating profit. 

On the other hand, why then buy all those visa players in the first place.  

I think we have other plans with the Uruguayans considering we have subsidiary there.

Man I love these half baked conspiracy theories. 

This may be an unpopular opinion but, CFG are trying to bring in the best available players they can for us to win the League.

Alongside that they are also trying to attract and develop the best available young players to win the League.

As an addition to those 2 intentions they are trying to attract and develop the best available senior Australian pros to win the League. 

Thats it, nòthing more, that is all they are trying to fundamentally do. Everything else, on selling, changing the League blah blah is all just speculative horseshit.

Now have thay succeeded,  fuck no, not even close,  but they have tried. 

Now these Uruguayan dudes hopefully aren't duds and can actually play, Noone is going to dominate and that Austrian bloke looks decent,  if he can stay fit and available we might have a sniff to do something. 

But to suggest we are bringing in people from all over world to do anything but build a strong team just does my head in.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Tbh i suspect its probably more likely because we have a game on Tuesday against Brisbane Strikers and would rather not waste money on sending a 2nds team to Newcastle but sure Melbourne Heart.

Closer to the truth I'd say. I don't think comparisons with Heart are particularly valid. Heart's pre-season matches involved trialling quite a few players, we used to play at venues such as Langwarrin and Port Melbourne, and against "select" teams such as Latrobe University XI, Peninsula Select XI, etc., and IIRC FFA mandated at the time that each club had to play two pre-season matches against other A-League clubs - I went to one of them vs. Newcastle at Morwell - and the FFA Cup didn't exist. We don't use pre-season in the same way any more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Originalmeme said:

1-0 loss to perth glory today.  kind of worried now, however we seem to turn it on in the actual competitive matches. Hard to red if we are going to be ready for the derby. same as always

Wasn’t aware another game was on.

Result in line with all the other A-league teams we’ve played. It’s only preseason I keep hearing. There’s only been one real competitive match and of course it’s hard to read if we turned it on or the Wanderers were understaffed or poor.

5 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Wasn’t aware another game was on.

Result in line with all the other A-league teams we’ve played. It’s only preseason I keep hearing. There’s only been one real competitive match and of course it’s hard to read if we turned it on or the Wanderers were understaffed or poor.

We need to know who actually played for us, and who played for Perth, before we can judge. But I think we all know where the weaknesses in the squad are. 

Edited by jw1739

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

So, there we go. The NYL team. 

Probably only a handful of people on this forum site even know about pre-season matches, let alone worry about the results of them.

Not particularly related to this Perth game.

I don’t really believe in the “it’s only preseason thing”. We are trying make it sound like that only Melbourne City is experimenting and the opposition is always lining up in full strength hence nothing can be read into it. This works both ways and you would think we would win some preseason games occasionally.

Players who are underwhelming during pre-season aren’t suddenly superstars at round 1.

If you win all your preseason games people will rave and are excited but if you underperforming than “it’s only preseason”

Winning games against better opposition is good for the teamspirit and confidence. If that culture isn’t in place you aren’t ready for round 1 and you will still be finding yourself at the start of the season. I believe weaknesses and strengths can be made up out of those those games thus are important.

Edited by Mr MO

1 minute ago, OzOranje said:

Hey Doomsdayers, our wins in the FFA cup are also in the pre-season! Some people just love to look at a glass half empty

Very true!

Perhaps we want or are hoping for a little more than a half glass - no matter the way you look at it the glass isn’t full.

Some people including myself look realistically closer at the results, line-ups from both teams and teams played (amateurs vs pro’s). Then come to the personal conclusion that we aren’t there yet! 

18 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Very true!

Perhaps we want or are hoping for a little more than a half glass - no matter the way you look at it the glass isn’t full.

Some people including myself look realistically closer at the results, line-ups from both teams and teams played (amateurs vs pro’s). Then come to the personal conclusion that we aren’t there yet! 

For me, the glass is only full when we win the league and qualify for ACL. If we win the ACL, the glass is overflowing. 

P.S. watch our marquee signing if we make ACL. If it’s not a truely big name, I’ll shut up forever. 

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

We need to know who actually played for us, and who played for Perth, before we can judge. But I think we all know where the weaknesses in the squad are. 

Game was against MC Y-League. Perth had up to 7/8 A-Leaguers, including Ikonomidis. Goal was scored with last kick of match. Keeper did really well.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

@jw1739 please change the title of this thread to indicate that the club is in pre-season....

I hope we sign that Covid #19 guy from China. I've been hearing all about him recently in the football world. Unfortunate that Wales will need to give up his number though.

Edited by haz

13 hours ago, NewConvert said:

So are we in pre-season now?

9 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Let's just assume yes... It's going to be a very lloonnnggggg preseason 🙄

3 hours ago, NewConvert said:

@jw1739 please change the title of this thread to indicate that the club is in pre-season....

The answer is, I think, "no."

For a start, the current season is at this point merely suspended to, IIRC, 22nd April. And second, the current player contracts are effective until 31st May.

So I don't see how we can be in pre-season.

IMO the current season won't be resumed, and further, unless we can get this thing under control (which we won't if we continue to make incredible blunders such as the cruise ship in Sydney) the next season is a long time away, possibly as long as 18 months.