Melbourne Football

Craig Noone

Tommykins

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

Noone staying is absolutely enormous imo.

Agree he didnt quite reach the heights we thought he might, but hes still a good to very good player in this league. Especially so with some of the quality dropping off at other clubs next season

Noone is an interesting player. Can turn up and dominate, or just be invisible. Then there are other games where he has the yips, but will still manage to sneak an assist.

Just needs to sort out his confidence(?) issue and he'll be a gun in the league.

30 minutes ago, haz said:

Noone is an interesting player. Can turn up and dominate, or just be invisible. Then there are other games where he has the yips, but will still manage to sneak an assist.

Just needs to sort out his confidence(?) issue and he'll be a gun in the league.

For me the biggest issue was just his composure and consequential turnovers with the slightest bit of pressure on him, he can’t compensate on pace either. In the current climate it’s the best we can get.

Edited by Mr MO

3 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

For me the biggest issue was just his composure and consequential turnovers with the slightest bit of of pressure on him, he can’t compensate on pace either. In the current climate it’s the best we can get.

IMO it is his predictability - seems to always go inside, consequently crowding the middle. Wingers need to mix it up to be fully effective.

58 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO it is his predictability - seems to always go inside, consequently crowding the middle. Wingers need to mix it up to be fully effective.

Totally agree with this. I think with our aerial dominance we could have mixed it up by having Noone continue down wing and whip it in. Delbridge and Good and Griffiths would be up to that task. Metcalfe and Berenguer have scored good headers last season too. 'We had it in our locker' as RS would constantly say. But it would have created more chances and onvercome the predictability. Maybe Paddy will add that to our attacking approach. 

2 hours ago, Deluka said:

So good, thankfully his wife is far more active on socials than Nooney otherwise we'd have no idea! I'm quite glad that we've signed him and Florin on - I was over us having foreigners for a year before they head off elsewhere (Steven Gray the exception haha)

That is a name I have not heard in years. Thanks for the reminder of that one.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

I watched him closely at Bentleigh in the first half. His facial expressions said it all - he knows that he is playing very poorly and is acutely frustrated at not being able turn things around. His confidence is shot. At the moment he's got no pace or tricks to use against an NPL full-back. He desperately needs a good game or even a couple of goals under his belt to regain confidence. But there's no competition for him other than the A-League.

• 1 month later...

Seen some comments pop up against Noone. I actually don't mind Noone. I didn't like him at the start until I looked more closely at his statistics. He produces regularly whether it is assists or goals. If  you can't win the damn aleague with a player like Noone then you simply won't win it at all. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Seen some comments pop up against Noone. I actually don't mind Noone. I didn't like him at the start until I looked more closely at his statistics. He produces regularly whether it is assists or goals. If  you can't win the damn aleague with a player like Noone then you simply won't win it at all. 

My criticism of him is that he is very predictable - goes inside almost every time.

28 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

My criticism of him is that he is very predictable - goes inside almost every time.

It's a very valid criticism. He's definitely got a lot to improve on if he wants to take that step to become what we all thought he might be in pre-season last year.

In saying all that, his numbers are still very good when you compare him to his peers and i think @n i k o is spot on in that i think we underappreciate him a bit because he hasn't lived up to the lofty expectations we set for him. At the end of the day i'd probably still take a player that only does one or two good things each match but produces a result over someone that regularly dazzles but has zero end product.

30 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Completely agree. 100%. Although he scored his last goal with his right haha. At the same time the criticism is sort of like making the statement that he's so predictable because he scores and assists with the same foot. Hope you get what I mean. 

Then we need to be sure that we apply the same criteria consistently to each and every one of our players. Which is IMO not appropriate. To accept only the same from an imported ex-EPL player than you get from a 17 y-o academy product is counter-intuitive.

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Then we need to be sure that we apply the same criteria consistently to each and every one of our players. Which is IMO not appropriate. To accept only the same from an imported ex-EPL player than you get from a 17 y-o academy product is counter-intuitive.

You've lost me a bit. Which 17 year old had the assists and goals on the board like Noone?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

He’s started the season pretty well, I’d say a lot of our goals have gone through him this season

I agree and i think he'll go to another level when Nabbout is back fit and he's able to get off the leash a bit more too. Three genuine threats across the front is always hard to combat in the A League and tbh other than when Mooy, Fornaroli and Novillo were around we've never really had that.

8 minutes ago, n i k o said:

You've lost me a bit. Which 17 year old had the assists and goals on the board like Noone?

I'm simply giving an example that it's perfectly reasonable to expect more from more experienced and better-credentialled players than those less so. If you think we're getting from Noone what his experience and credentials suggest, then fine. Others do not.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

Also on Noone as a fan base we’ve been pretty critical of him at times but externally he has been praised a fair bit. 
Makes me wonder if Najjarine was in city colours would we be as happy with him, I think he has lacked defensive responsibility at the jets

We love our positive stats, especially the media. We put goals and assist on the board in our arguments without looking at the full game. Very similar on how we asses a ruckman’s touches without actually looking where the ball lands.

Being pushed of the ball by NPL level players, plenty of turnovers, getting to the back line for once or defensive duties would be the points critics are pointing out.

I do think many other experienced local players with that amount of game time in the same position would have very similar stats as Noone.

Edited by Mr MO

31 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

We love our positive stats here, especially the media. We put goals and assist on the board in our arguments without looking at the full game.

Being pushed of the ball by NPL level players, plenty of turnovers, getting to the back line for once or defensive duties would the start the critics are pointing out.

I do think many other experienced local players with that amount of game time in the same position would have very similar stats as Noone.

Positive stats is a weird way to put it. Wingers are judged on their output i.e. goals and assists. That’s what they’re there to do and he does it surprisingly well. Last season he had six goals and nine assists. Not many others had those numbers. He’s not been a great player but he’s been good, arguably even a bit better than that. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Positive stats is a weird way to put it. Wingers are judged on their output i.e. goals and assists. That’s what they’re there to do and he does it surprisingly well. Last season he had six goals and nine assists. Not many others had those numbers. He’s not been a great player but he’s been good, arguably even a bit better than that. 

@Mr MO this sums it up well. Stats matter less and less the further back you go position wise. A striker for example is mostly all about stats. 

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

FWIW Arzani had two goals (one pen) and three assists in his 18 games in his breakout season, at an average of 66 minutes per game

I thought of him when I posted but ignored it simply because not only is he a dime a dozen but he's not here either. 

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I'm simply giving an example that it's perfectly reasonable to expect more from more experienced and better-credentialled players than those less so. If you think we're getting from Noone what his experience and credentials suggest, then fine. Others do not.

Agree, I think we should expect more from him than less credentialed players. What  about what he produces goals and assist wise? Do you think he's warranted his visa position? And if there's any criticism toy have is that why we have lost games?

24 minutes ago, n i k o said:

@Mr MO this sums it up well. Stats matter less and less the further back you go position wise. A striker for example is mostly all about stats. 

I thought of him when I posted but ignored it simply because not only is he a dime a dozen but he's not here either. 

I agree that stats differ from the position he plays.

If we aren’t allowed to look at any other aspect/stats than just assists and goals and just ignore all other parts of playing in a team - his output should be much higher somebody of his pedigree.

The perfect example was the Perth game; Noone’s lazy turnover cause Perth to score the 0-1. Then his shot on the post was the 1-1. You are saying great assist, points for Craig! I’m saying it canceled each other out. See what I mean?

I’m perhaps looking at the game at a more holistic critical way than necessary.

The best example in Australia is an AFL ruckman who taps the ball right into the opponents hands but get credited for the taps.

Edited by Mr MO

8 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I agree that stats differ from the position he plays.

If we aren’t allowed to look at any other aspect/stats than just assists and goals and just ignore all other parts of playing in a team - his output should be much higher somebody of his pedigree.

The perfect example was the Perth game; Noone’s lazy turnover cause Perth to score the 0-1. Then his shot on the post was the 1-1. You are saying great assist, points for Craig! I’m saying it canceled each other out. See what I mean?

I’m perhaps looking at the game at a more holistic critical way than necessary.

The best example in Australia is an AFL ruckman who taps the ball right into the opponents hands but get credited for the taps.

Totally get what your saying here, but i do think you could also counter by saying well he doesnt have that fuck up if he's not back getting stuck in defensively. Going back to Arzani as an example, theres no chance he has that turnover cos he'd never be back there, but how many opposition goals did we cough up by extension because we didnt have the cover?

It's an impossible game to some extent because your damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I agree that we aren't comparing apples with apples when judging a young player up against Noone and in terms of expectations, but i also think there needs to be a large degree of actual output and performance taken into account when we talk about replacing the player too. 
To expand on the concept im trying to describe here, Noone might produce average 7/10 games but we expect 8's, so he's -1 in the fans book, but a young player might produce 6's and we expect 4's so he's +2. The expectation advantage is clearly with the youth, but overall performance is still with the experienced player.

• Like 2

@bt50 has touched on a good point there, it’s about (unspoken) expectations.

The discussion with most imports is not whether they are good, it’s whether they are good enough.

The problem for fans is our expectations are set with only part of the information. What salary is paid to the player we are debating? We are only guessing. This is critical, as it strongly influences the signing alternatives. What output do other clubs get from players of that salary? Again, we are looking at playing history and age and guessing.

Then we find ourselves in endless debate, as fan 1 sets an expectation of 7/10, gets it and is happy, whilst fan 2 sets it as 9/10, only gets 7, so is ropeable.

14 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

The discussion with most imports is not whether they are good, it’s whether they are good enough.

The problem for fans is our expectations are set with only part of the information. What salary is paid to the player we are debating? We are only guessing. This is critical, as it strongly influences the signing alternatives. What output do other clubs get from players of that salary? Again, we are looking at playing history and age and guessing.

Then we find ourselves in endless debate, as fan 1 sets an expectation of 7/10, gets it and is happy, whilst fan 2 sets it as 9/10, only gets 7, so is ropeable.

Yes I agree it’s an endless debate but please let’s not forget that we want to win right with the best possible football. That’s my expectation especially with our potential.

I’m really angry still after this weeks performance.

Edited by Mr MO

50 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Again good points, but IMO there are other factors too. I'm never going to know salary details etc (and IMO I shouldn't expect to) so I expect a visa player to be clearly a better player that an/the Australian alternative, and I expect a marquee player to be at least another level above that. I don't think that we meet those criteria at the present time, but it's only my opinion.

Only that way do I see the A-League improving and being something that players, coaches and spectators find appealing. If you're not moving forward, then you're actually going backwards, because everyone else is going forward. We had a good start, especially with facilities and grew for a few seasons but have lost all that improvement in appeal very quickly.

For CFG to say that the investment climate hasn't worked out the way they thought it would shows that they are not as smart as they think they are. If they were honest with themselves, they have made decisions that have antagonised the supporters of the club they bought. While they're not going to pick up their ball and go home, they're still sulking.