Melbourne Football

Craig Noone

Tommykins

23 minutes ago, Nate said:

Fair enough, still sucks though.

Worst of all, if City don't already know it has compromised Nooney's position with the club. When Matt Millar signed for Newcastle, Central Coast famously threw him out of training and told him to go home. Does Noone now play for us against Macarthur, or does he not? If he plays and misses a sitter what's the reaction going to be?

And if City didn't know before, we certainly do now. https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/macarthur-land-massive-coup-signing-city-a-league-star-565901

I can't see how he can play for us now. Unless we already know, and trust him to act as a true professional and give his heart and soul in pursuit of a place in the GF.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Worst of all, if City don't already know it has compromised Nooney's position with the club. When Matt Millar signed for Newcastle, Central Coast famously threw him out of training and told him to go home. Does Noone now play for us against Macarthur, or does he not? If he plays and misses a sitter what's the reaction going to be?

And if City didn't know before, we certainly do now. https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/macarthur-land-massive-coup-signing-city-a-league-star-565901

I can't see how he can play for us now. Unless we already know, and trust him to act as a true professional and give his heart and soul in pursuit of a place in the GF.

Think they knew they re-signed Nabbout and signed Leckie. 

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I won’t be surprised if he won’t feature again with more “soreness”, perhaps he wasn’t that sore before anyway and we knew that he signed. Perth has done the same with Kilkenny whilst they were still in the finals contention. 

40 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Think they knew they re-signed Nabbout and signed Leckie. 

I wonder if we just didn’t renew or just gave him a lower offer.

Edited by Mr MO

16 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I won’t be surprised if he won’t feature again with more “soreness”, perhaps he wasn’t that sore before anyway and we knew that he signed. Perth has done the same with Kilkenny whilst they were still in the finals contention. 

I wonder if we just didn’t renew or just gave him a lower offer.

Given that Macarthur have signed him for two years, the other alternative is that we only offered a 1 year contract.

He is at that awkward age that if he signed a year contract he is unlikely to get another contract after that (whether with us or another team) so I can see him declining a 1 year contract with us even if he wanted to stay.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

That said more about Central Coast than it did about Millar.

If the player has a professional attitude (and all the evidence suggests Noone is a model pro) you play him.

31 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

If the player has a professional attitude (and all the evidence suggests Noone is a model pro) you play him.

Noone will play why would we self sabotage our finals series he’s still contracted to City till end at June and City still pay his wages. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Arguably it had alot to do with the fact it was CCM to Newy, who are their "rivals". 

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Yep, this is really the crux of it that stinks to me. The timing is so unprofessional and whether it was Garb or Macarthur themselves who leaked the headline, it should not have been allowed to leak. 

I'd back Noone 100% to be a pro and make himself available for selection come matchday on Sunday but yeah, it really boils down to whether our club knew about it in advance or not. Fucking annoying either way.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Nate said:

Yep, this is really the crux of it that stinks to me. The timing is so unprofessional and whether it was Garb or Macarthur themselves who leaked the headline, it should not have been allowed to leak. 

I'd back Noone 100% to be a pro and make himself available for selection come matchday on Sunday but yeah, it really boils down to whether our club knew about it in advance or not. Fucking annoying either way.

You would think they would have either told him your contract ain’t getting renewed or he rejected our offer but we signed Leckie and re-signed Nabbout so would think we would have known somewhat 

I’m going to hate seeing Craig leave. Ultimately though, if you had a choice you’d take Leckie ahead of him everyday of the week. It seemed a bit more palatable though when I thought he was heading to League 1 or similar 

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I was disappointed he didn’t come on as at least a time wasting sub at the end. If nothing else his world class skill at winning a second or third corner by kicking the ball into defenders legs might have been handy.

Anyway, ultimately he was only with us 2 seasons and perhaps hadn’t earned the gesture in the coach’s eyes.

24 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I was disappointed he didn’t come on as at least a time wasting sub at the end. If nothing else his world class skill at winning a second or third corner by kicking the ball into defenders legs might have been handy.

His injury was a medial collateral injury (MCL) . Probably was only going to come on if absolutely needed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Disrespectful to both CN and to all of us. City really does have a blind spot when it comes to this sort of thing.

1 hour ago, GreenSeater said:

One of the most underrated players we’ve ever had. One of the club’s all time best, thanks for everything Nooney

Well said. I think we all echo that. Had a period when he looked out of sorts, but will always be remembered for the goal that won our first Premiership.

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

He had a fantastic season.

Ultimately the club has made a decision based on his birth certificate. On one hand that seems a little harsh, but professional sport can be brutal.

We don't know really why he has left us, but you're probably right. At 33 you're offered(say) a one-year contract extension, and someone else is offering 2 years - it's an easy choice really. The players have to be hard-hearted as well as the clubs.

Edited by jw1739

thought he was very inconsistent, but also think he will be remembered fondly.  he had the ability to make something out of nothing.  the games this season where he, JMac and Nabbout combined was awesome to watch.

that said, the signing of Leckie while retaining JMac and Nabbout meant Noone was always on the way out.  seems a waste of a visa spot, particularly with Tilio and Colakovski waiting in the wings (pun intended).

as an aside, i wonder how long it will take for the boo boys to come out? don't think this was of Noone's making, but that hasn't stopped the boo boys in the past

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

as an aside, i wonder how long it will take for the boo boys to come out? don't think this was of Noone's making, but that hasn't stopped the boo boys in the past

Outside of signing for the Victory, I’d be extremely disappointed if any of our Championship team are ever booed under any circumstances tbh

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Outside of signing for the Victory, I’d be extremely disappointed if any of our Championship team are ever booed under any circumstances tbh

i'd find it disappointing too, but then again it wouldn't surprise me - IIRC the likes of Wales, Kamau have been booed when returning to AAMI Park.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

i'd find it disappointing too, but then again it wouldn't surprise me - IIRC the likes of Wales, Kamau have been booed when returning to AAMI Park.  

Maybe that was more out of frustration than anything else. Now that we've finally won the league - and doing the double - perhaps we'll be more tolerant in the future.

2 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

Off the top of my head, there is only one ex player who is deserving of being booed and that is Mauk.

I really don't get booing a player such as Wales who was not offered a contract by the club and found work elsewhere. Even if he went to Victory in those same circumstances I do not think it would be worthy of booing (imo it would be acceptible to boo if a player forced a move to Victory or was in discussions for a contract renewel with us and signed with Victory instead).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, malloy said:

Off the top of my head, there is only one ex player who is deserving of being booed and that is Mauk.

I really don't get booing a player such as Wales who was not offered a contract by the club and found work elsewhere. Even if he went to Victory in those same circumstances I do not think it would be worthy of booing (imo it would be acceptible to boo if a player forced a move to Victory or was in discussions for a contract renewel with us and signed with Victory instead).

given that he is now coaching in the A League, i think Richie Garcia has (and will) always deserved a solid boo.

i'm the same about Wales, and that's why i bring him up (and why i think Noone is up for some booing).  couldn't understand why people got stuck into him.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...