Melbourne Football

Craig Noone

Tommykins

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Again good points, but IMO there are other factors too. I'm never going to know salary details etc (and IMO I shouldn't expect to) so I expect a visa player to be clearly a better player that an/the Australian alternative, and I expect a marquee player to be at least another level above that. I don't think that we meet those criteria at the present time, but it's only my opinion.

Only that way do I see the A-League improving and being something that players, coaches and spectators find appealing. If you're not moving forward, then you're actually going backwards, because everyone else is going forward. We had a good start, especially with facilities and grew for a few seasons but have lost all that improvement in appeal very quickly.

For CFG to say that the investment climate hasn't worked out the way they thought it would shows that they are not as smart as they think they are. If they were honest with themselves, they have made decisions that have antagonised the supporters of the club they bought. While they're not going to pick up their ball and go home, they're still sulking.

And you know what though in this league even with a salary cap it’s so easy to buy success! I hate to say it but its proven by Sydney and Victory over time that, go full marquee make sure your visa are a level above and get them all on the park together. Guaranteed fans will return and new ones will onboard and you can make returns on your investment. 

Our time line point was always to wait for when we qualify for the ACL and now it’s wait for the independent league to start or get rid of the cap - let’s see. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

And you know what though in this league even with a salary cap it’s so easy to buy success! I hate to say it but its proven by Sydney and Victory over time that, go full marquee make sure your visa are a level above and get them all on the park together. Guaranteed fans will return and new ones will onboard and you can make returns on your investment. 

Our time line point was always to wait for when we qualify for the ACL and now it’s wait for the independent league to start or get rid of the cap - let’s see. 

Exactly. Australians love a winner - no such things as "playing the game," "honour in defeat" and all that stuff. Winning is what counts here. And particularly in Melbourne we have not only the giant that is AFL, we have Melbourne Victory, and Melbourne Storm. We don't rate by comparison.

A whole lot of rubbish being spoken in this thread.

If our defence was somewhat competent we wouldn't even be having this discussion. But when you don't sign enough cb's to start the season, and then one of your starting cb's goes down with an injury, combined with constantly changing fullbacks, it's all a recipe for disaster. Then, to rely on an 18 year old CB to hold the fortress down just pours more fuel onto the fire.

Noone has been somewhat in the serviceable-good range during his city career. We're just making him a scapegoat because we're frustrated atm with how results are going and are just jumping on any reason to be negative.

The whole forum since the Perth game has been as active as I've ever seen it, bringing nothing more then criticisms against the club. After last season we have all become accustomed to a certain level of success which is good, but I also think we need to remember to have some perspective on the club and the real problems that present with it atm. For me, our major three problems this season are:

1)Injury management- Another season where again, it seems like the better half of our list is injured. Why can't we seem to manage our players properly?

2)List management- Why do we continue to neglect the need for a true creative midfielder? Also why did we not sign another CB until after the season started?

3) Coaching hire- As much as I love kisnorbo as a player/clubman I think that unless he had the proper coaching structure around him he was going to struggle this season. He has seemed to struggle this season tactically as well, was he really the best choice of coach considering we had just come off one of the most successful season in city's history?

We can probably fix 2/3 of those problems, the third one well... Time will tell I guess.

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 3

I don't think that it's a lot of rubbish, and it's not really directed at Noone at all - it just happens to bubble to the surface in this thread. History tells me that when the fans are frustrated all the threads tend in the same direction.

The three issues you list - injury management, list management and coaching hire - are three fundamentals of the football department of a football club aren't they? Jeez, doesn't say much for CFG if in their seventh season of ownership they have not worked out these three fundamentals, and for me that's really what this forum comes back to every time - fans frustrated by what they see as mismanagement of their football club by the owners in that the fans' expectations don't seem to line up with the owners' objectives, and on many occasions, the owners' pronouncements.

I also see an overlay from the very difficult year we have had in Victoria, in that many of us looked forward to the present season as a relief from what we've been through. We're not getting that relief and that is compounding our frustration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think that it's a lot of rubbish, and it's not really directed at Noone at all - it just happens to bubble to the surface in this thread. History tells me that when the fans are frustrated all the threads tend in the same direction.

The three issues you list - injury management, list management and coaching hire - are three fundamentals of the football department of a football club aren't they? Jeez, doesn't say much for CFG if in their seventh season of ownership they have not worked out these three fundamentals, and for me that's really what this forum comes back to every time - fans frustrated by what they see as mismanagement of their football club by the owners in that the fans' expectations don't seem to line up with the owners' objectives, and on many occasions, the owners' pronouncements.

I also see an overlay from the very difficult year we have had in Victoria, in that many of us looked forward to the present season as a relief from what we've been through. We're not getting that relief and that is compounding our frustration.

Common denominator.... Petrillo.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, haz said:

Common denominator.... Petrillo.

He's acting under instructions of course, otherwise I would have thought that he would have been moved aside some time ago.

I'm summarising it in my own mind that his focus is on individual talent management, not recruiting and managing a winning team.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

He's acting under instructions of course, otherwise I would have thought that he would have been moved aside some time ago.

I'm summarising it in my own mind that his focus is on individual talent management, not recruiting and managing a winning team.

He said on podcasts he has the final say but has scouts and head of recruitment and scouting  who help him and report back to him .

Craig didn’t do his backers any favours this game. He’s part of the best starting eleven but time to start someone else for once and freshen up our stale forward line. We’ve got nothing to loose. A winger who consistently can’t get passed his man needs a spell on the bench.

7 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I was a supporter of Craig last year. This year I think he’s not playing as well as he did then. 
Somethings up. Injury maybe?

Yeah me too - I really barracked for him at the start of last season. This year and towards the end of last season, obviously I’m a little more critical.

Edited by Mr MO

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

It’s a good point.

Tends to look flat in between though. Perhaps it doesn’t matter? 

IMO you can focus on an individual's statistics too closely - a reason why I take no notice of "assists." They are just the final pass, whereas the real creator of the goal may be one or more passes removed from that final pass. It's a team game, and at the moment the team just isn't scoring enough goals. The longer this goes on the greater the loss of confidence will be.

Noone gets special attention because he's ex-EPL and ex-Championship and therefore expectations of him are high.

• 1 month later...
On 31/12/2020 at 1:50 PM, Deluka said:

With Nabbout & Atkinson both injured, he'll certainly have enough opportunity to shake off the cobwebs - he just doesn't strike me as a versatile winger, even if he does get past his man he's often chased down due to his pace making it difficult for him to get in and behind.

This was not a good take in hindsight.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Deluka said:

This was not a good take in hindsight.

In fairness to yourself - he still doesn’t get passed his man to the back line as a Nabbout, the pace still isn’t there and of course never will be. What he does much better now is accurate crosses, less turnovers, shoots on target, cuts in and keeps possession. It seemed a confidence thing and what you expect from a premier league winger.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Macarthur FC have signed Craig Noone on a 2 year deal as per Daniel Garb on ABC Grandstand Podcast

Thought he was leaving when Leckie, Nabbout were signed and re-signed.

Nothing to do with that at all. It's all my fault - I updated the squad yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I can only assume we're the ones who have shown him the door then since I can't imagine him wanting to leave of his own volition after the season we've had, not to mention the new salary cap exemptions.

Pretty sad if this is true.

8 minutes ago, Nate said:

wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I can only assume we're the ones who have shown him the door then since I can't imagine him wanting to leave of his own volition after the season we've had, not to mention the new salary cap exemptions.

Pretty sad if this is true.

We knew that he was at the end of a two-year contract, and he'll be 34 in November. With Leckie coming in, could he be guaranteed much football? Maybe we wanted him to stay but Macarthur made a better offer - footballers have a short career? We've also got Luna and Berenguer coming off contract. One or more of the three was likely to go. I think we may focus more on local players from now on. Certainly with an Academy there's no point if all we're doing is preparing players for other clubs so there has to be room on the list somewhere.

When the club confirms his departure I think we say thank you and good luck mate.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Will always be known as the guy who scored the winner to hand us our first A-League trophy. 

Exactly. In the end it's only a handful of players who etch their way into the memories. He will be one of ours.

17 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

We knew that he was at the end of a two-year contract, and he'll be 34 in November. With Leckie coming in, could he be guaranteed much football? Maybe we wanted him to stay but Macarthur made a better offer - footballers have a short career? We've also got Luna and Berenguer coming off contract. One or more of the three was likely to go. I think we may focus more on local players from now on. Certainly with an Academy there's no point if all we're doing is preparing players for other clubs so there has to be room on the list somewhere.

When the club confirms his departure I think we say thank you and good luck mate.

That’s it, we are onto bigger, better and younger players now. We need the money to improve AM positions, Luna and Berenguer aren’t going to improve anymore as harsh as it sounds - we can’t sit still. With Cola, Tilio, Rodriguez, Leckie, Jmac and Nabbout we are well stocked upfront.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

I think the one thing that really pisses me off about this is the timing of it. 

Why is Daniel Garb leaking such info the very week we play our semi-final against Macarthur of all clubs? I don't mind these types of deals taking place during the season if they're kept behind closed doors, but why leak to the public now? Shitcunt move and a middle finger to City fans in what is a pretty big week imo.

5 minutes ago, Nate said:

I think the one thing that really pisses me off about this is the timing of it. 

Why is Daniel Garb leaking such info the very week we play our semi-final against Macarthur of all clubs? I don't mind these types of deals taking place during the season if they're kept behind closed doors, but why leak to the public now? Shitcunt move and a middle finger to City fans in what is a pretty big week imo.

I don't think it's a Daniel Garb thing, it's a Macarthur thing. They were keen to get the Davilla news out there right when Wellington were fighting for a finals spot. The played CCM last week and the Danny DeSilva news comes out, now it's us with Noone. 

They seem very keen to show what they are doing, and getting it out at a time that's very convenient for them 

• Like 1

We know have 2 visa spots to be open and maybe more with Luna and Berenguer. Where should we target these visa players, have to be attacking midfielder as we have a holding midfielder, maybe another CB.

I think we should also target DWH who is looking around clubs and just turned down western United. Young Australian who fits our profile. 

Edited by CityBoyz

36 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

We know have 2 visa spots to be open and maybe more with Luna and Berenguer. Where should we target these visa players, have to be attacking midfielder as we have a holding midfielder, maybe another CB.

I think we should also target DWH who is looking around clubs and just turned down western United. 

D'agostino anyone?

Midfield needs to be improved and perhaps another CB, Griffiths isn't getting any younger.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

It's going to be a hard sell to someone like DWH, as he won't start for us. He can probably go to at least half the league and start most games, with us he is relying on an injury. 

We definitely need to find a back up striker option though, the socceroos are going to have alot of games to catch up. There will be times we are without Maclaren and Leckie. 

I wouldn't be totally against using a visa spot on someone who can play across the entire front 3, even if they are the 1st bench option, and can start games when needed. The beauty of having an entire Australian front 3 who are all stars, we can get a little creative with a visa spot in attack.

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

D'agostino anyone?

Midfield needs to be improved and perhaps another CB, Griffiths isn't getting any younger.

I wondered the same when I heard he was available. Would be just the sort of player we would go for. Don't be surprised if we don't nick that young striker from the Jets as well...

1 hour ago, neio said:

I don't think it's a Daniel Garb thing, it's a Macarthur thing. They were keen to get the Davilla news out there right when Wellington were fighting for a finals spot. The played CCM last week and the Danny DeSilva news comes out, now it's us with Noone. 

They seem very keen to show what they are doing, and getting it out at a time that's very convenient for them 

Fair enough, still sucks though.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, neio said:

We definitely need to find a back up striker option though, the socceroos are going to have alot of games to catch up. There will be times we are without Maclaren and Leckie. .

I thought we would stop for international games next seasons to come.

4 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I thought we would stop for international games next seasons to come.

Who knows, but we're 12 months behind where we should be in qualifying. I think there will be games that clash and we have to go without soceroos