Melbourne Football

Craig Noone

Tommykins

5 hours ago, Originalmeme said:

bruh, he scored and assisted 2 weeks ago...

You reckon 1 goal (pen) in 6 league games and a handful of wasted opportunities has his confidence sky high do you?

I don't. The way he snatched at a couple of those chances on Sunday makes me think he's feeling a bit of pressure. Whether that's externallly from us fans and teammates or his own expectations, I doubt he'd be really happy with his own performances so far.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, rass said:

You reckon 1 goal (pen) in 6 league games and a handful of wasted opportunities has his confidence sky high do you?

I don't. The way he snatched at a couple of those chances on Sunday makes me think he's feeling a bit of pressure. Whether that's externallly from us fans and teammates or his own expectations, I doubt he'd be really happy with his own performances so far.

dude you said he needs a goal, he fulfilled your own criteria

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Originalmeme said:

total letdown so far, piss weak

I agree that Noone has not been impressive so far. I thought that he was very predictable against Perth, whereas Cabrera showed a lot more variety in his play, especially in the first half. Noone's shooting is also pretty wild.

One goal (penalty) and one assist in eight matches is ordinary for a winger. We’ve scored 16 in total, so we’re scoring frequently as a team. 

He needs to lift, as do all of our other foreign players. Injuries have restricted Berenguer and Windbichler so I can forgive that but it’s time to see results from all five of them. 

The Australians have pretty much carried this team. If we want to stop Sydney we need a shitload more output from all of the foreigners. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Can't believe he was given Man of the Match. How many more poor crosses, poor shots, and chances does he have to miss, to be dropped?

I thought he was excellent. So classy on the ball.

set up Luna with that delicate dink, ran the clock down, I could go on.

Well deserved in my book.

48 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Can't believe he was given Man of the Match. How many more poor crosses, poor shots, and chances does he have to miss, to be dropped?

I see what you mean JW. First ten minutes all passes from him went wrong too. People just focus on that one good thing. He likes cutting in but he needs to switch it up, not once he went on the outside. When cutting in he certainly wasn’t Arjen Robben, it wasn’t very productive.

I can also see people why voted on him.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

Noone has become very polarizing. 

For me last night he had one of his best League games for us.

Yes he lost the ball heaps yes he missed a load of passes, but he seemed willing to try. Previous weeks he was indecisive and pretty shit, and snatched at his chances.

I agree he seems to want to cut in all the time, but last night was the first time he played the entire game on the right wing. He is very one sided especially when running with the ball, and on the wing it's the safer option with a weak right foot to cut in, his problem he does it every single time. 

I think fundamentally he is a quality player and in the next few games will exponentially improve and too a level that will make a few rethink their opinion. 

Also he worked well with Atkinson, previously he was relying for Jamieson to combine and that didn't go as well.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Also he worked well with Atkinson, previously he was relying for Jamieson to combine and that didn't go as well.

I think this is the key.

Atkinson when dribbling/running up the wing always cuts in allowing space closer to the line for Noone. Whereas compare this to Jamieson who tries to occupy the same space as the winger, hence you always see these weird attempted overlaps where both players become stationary.

Also having two 'creative' players in the midfield, Florian and Luna, allow Noone to not go searching for the ball putting him in unnatural positions. This started to happen last night after Florian was subbed.

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

What Berenguer is good at is occupying the half space. He was on Noone and Atkinson’s side, and their interplay was giving WU all sorts of trouble because there were plenty of 3 v 2 situations. Noone was fed the ball and was able to cut in. What I’d like to see more of are reverse runs when Noone carries it across the edge of the box, so that he isn’t always forced to shoot or switch it. 

1 hour ago, haz said:

I think this is the key.

Atkinson when dribbling/running up the wing always cuts in allowing space closer to the line for Noone. Whereas compare this to Jamieson who tries to occupy the same space as the winger, hence you always see these weird attempted overlaps where both players become stationary.

Also having two 'creative' players in the midfield, Florian and Luna, allow Noone to not go searching for the ball putting him in unnatural positions. This started to happen last night after Florian was subbed.

I love the first time flicks which Atkinson tries. Sometimes they don't work, but when they do it opens space and opportunities. 

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, IssySG said:

Fun fact: Noone has as many league assists as Diamanti and Castro* (7)

*Castro hasn’t been playing since the restart

I still don't think he's making the impact that he should as an ex-EPL player and still only 32.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I still don't think he's making the impact that he should as an ex-EPL player and still only 32.

I think he finds himself in so many good positions with the ball so often that his lack of product in those moments is highlighted so often. But when you actually look at his numbers it's, for want of a better word, humbling because they're actually pretty good. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

According to his partners Instagram (@rachaella8),  Craig Noone and Co are on their way back to Australia - just in time for pre season to start in on Monday.

Some things to consider before you start slagging him off:

6 goals and 8 assists in 30 games. No, he isn't the player we all thought he was in the Cup run, he isn't the type of player that will win you a game off his own back - but very few players are. Another season on, he knows the league better, hes had plenty of time to develop his chemistry with Jmac. Noone is very durable, he played almost more minutes than anyone else in our squad last season.

In the current climate I'd take Craig Noone over a random visa player who may go well or may go poorly, and could spend a chunk of the season injured.

Noone Maclaren Nabbout - in 2020/2021, this is a very formidable front 3 imo.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, IssySG said:

According to his partners Instagram (@rachaella8),  Craig Noone and Co are on their way back to Australia - just in time for pre season to start in on Monday.

Some things to consider before you start slagging him off:

6 goals and 8 assists in 30 games. No, he isn't the player we all thought he was in the Cup run, he isn't the type of player that will win you a game off his own back - but very few players are. Another season on, he knows the league better, hes had plenty of time to develop his chemistry with Jmac. Noone is very durable, he played almost more minutes than anyone else in our squad last season.

In the current climate I'd take Craig Noone over a random visa player who may go well or may go poorly, and could spend a chunk of the season injured.

Noone Maclaren Nabbout - in 2020/2021, this is a very formidable front 3 imo.

I don't think he met our anticipations but I agree with what you've said above. My mother would have said "Better the devil you know than the devil you don't." And I like that he's showing some loyalty to City.