Melbourne Football

The Erick Mombaerts thread

jeffplz

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Dylan said:

This is going to get your lots knickers in a twist but in no way he should be sacked. Pretty clear that our weak mentality goes further than the manager

I see this comment a lot about mentality on the forum and from Erick himself...good mentality and good work rate will win us some games or some come back draws but quality always prevails.

I honestly start to believe that it's a little more than just mentality, we just aren't good enough, no creativity, repetitive attacking patterns (loop balls in the box) and we can't shoot.   

Just now, Mr MO said:

I see this comment a lot about mentality on the forum and from Erick himself...good mentality and good work rate will win us some games or some come back draws but quality always prevails.

I honestly start to believe that it's a little more than just mentality, we just aren't good enough, no creativity, repetitive attacking patterns (loop balls in the box) and we can't shoot.   

Exactly. To create a winning team, you need good footballers before you can worry about the mentality side of things. The building blocks need to be there first. No point in trying to establish a ruthless, winning culture if you can’t actually win. Joyce had it backwards.

Mombaerts understands this though I think. What Mombaerts means by mentality is a collective will to dominate matches and essentially just destroy teams with attacking football and a suffocating press. It requires discipline and a lot of mental energy and focus. It also requires quality. Manchester City over the last few seasons have exemplified it. Liverpool have it now but in a much different way. But in every case, a team needs the footballers first. Doesn’t look like we have them. 

• Like 3

Coach is accountable for results.  Although, he should be acknowledged for fielding forum's fantasy team  Jamo was out and Galloway was in his place. We still conceded from our left side, partly cause of Jamo's cursed shadow, partly as Le Fondre and Barba were stubborn to play on the preferred right side. Berenguer was off the pitch.  We weren't weak and soft, as our captain The Butcher led by example and targeted Ninkovic's injured leg from the beginning. Let's blaim the December.

41 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Can you translate this into english please? 

We weren't ''weak and soft'' as our captain said in an interview. Griffiths (The Butcher) led by example and targeted Ninkovic's by going after his injured leg from the beginning. Let's just blaim the December month as we have used up all our excuses.

Edited by Mr MO

From "Unlucky" to "mentality" <-- these excuses aren't quantifiable; you're blaming a 'theory' for losing. The reason the players may have a 'weak mentality' is because they don't have the collective confidence that they can win and that's the coaches fault.

Tell it like it is (without doing a Mourinho and singling out individual players), i.e. We lacked quality (simple skill errors), we lacked discipline (silly fouls given away), we lacked cohesion (not making the right pass or honouring the run), we lacked a creative midfielder (Brillante & Griffiths are not & Metcalfe is inexperienced), we lacked fitness (?).

These are all things that can be worked on by the coach, whether it's changing players, formation or playing style...get the basics right and the players' 'winning mentality' will come naturally!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's as simple as not having a decent coach in the existence of this club.

Whether we're talking about JA, JVS, Warren or mombarts we've never had a proven winning coach on and off the field come in and take the club to success.

Mentality, players, club culture are all scapegoats. Get the gaffer right and everything else falls into line. Instead time and time again we fail to invest in the most important part of entire football club: the coach

• Like 1

On 14/06/2019 at 5:38 PM, jeffplz said:

Just getting it warm before we take it out the oven

The starting post in this thread.

Something of an irony that a thread started with tongue-in-cheek is now starting to be taken more seriously...

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

Are people seriously suggesting Mombarets needs to be replaced after 11 League games? Sitting second on the ladder, and IMO playing a pretty attractive on the eye style. 

Okay we have had some really poor losses but did anyone expect to go undefeated and dominate the League. 

We have 2/3 of the season to go and I think we will resolve our problems, wheather new ones emerge who knows.

Any talk of replacing Mombarets is just horeshit and extremely reactionary hyperbole, unless of course we lose on Friday. 

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Are people seriously suggesting Mombarets needs to be replaced after 11 League games? Sitting second on the ladder, and IMO playing a pretty attractive on the eye style. 

Okay we have had some really poor losses but did anyone expect to go undefeated and dominate the League. 

We have 2/3 of the season to go and I think we will resolve our problems, wheather new ones emerge who knows.

Any talk of replacing Mombarets is just horeshit and extremely reactionary hyperbole, unless of course we lose on Friday. 

Half a season is about the time when calls for the executioner begin...

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Exactly, he's the first decent coach that we've had, he's working with a squad that he didn't select in a League that he's never coached in before

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Exactly, he's the first decent coach that we've had, he's working with a squad that he didn't select in a League that he's never coached in before

I thought I saw something to the effect that he had an input into the signings?

23 hours ago, Jovan said:

I don't think he needs to be replaced, I was suggesting that he needs to figure out how to use his current crop of players to suit his style of play and formation to get the most out of them as a collective. There's no point in having Maclaren isolated upfront if there's no one in the middle to find the gaps and be "mentally in sync" with JMac. There's no point in Noone or Wales making those lung-busting runs up the wing and crossing the ball to no one. There's no point in trying to get Jamieson to play Mombaerts' 'inverted' fullback style when he...may not be suited to it ;) 

We've seen glimpses of what it can look like when it all comes together, but we've more often seen the other extreme too. So rather than calling the players out for having a 'weak mentality', Mombaerts needs to figure out the right formula, i.e. Formation + Playing Style + (9 x Suitable Players) = Winning!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Red or Dead said:

I don't think he needs to be replaced, I was suggesting that he needs to figure out how to use his current crop of players to suit his style of play and formation to get the most out of them as a collective. There's no point in having Maclaren isolated upfront if there's no one in the middle to find the gaps and be "mentally in sync" with JMac. There's no point in Noone or Wales making those lung-busting runs up the wing and crossing the ball to no one. There's no point in trying to get Jamieson to play Mombaerts' 'inverted' fullback style when he...may not be suited to it ;) 

We've seen glimpses of what it can look like when it all comes together, but we've more often seen the other extreme too. So rather than calling the players out for having a 'weak mentality', Mombaerts needs to figure out the right formula, i.e. Formation + Playing Style + (9 x Suitable Players) = Winning!

Spot on. Expresses my view better than I could myself. Erick has been too inflexible so far.

• 2 months later...

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/mombaerts-linked-with-shock-switch-to-nancy

"It’s a testament to the esteem Mombaerts is held in within the higher echelons of the CFG that he is viewed as the man to galvanise Nancy, assuming the acquisition for a reported fee of between $21-32 million goes through before the end of March."

Dave Lewis - World Game SBS

I shall be very disappointed if there is any truth in this rumour. If Mombaerts goes I can see another bunch of fans also leaving the club. We desperately need stability and to build a culture within the club and something that fans can hang on to.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, Shahanga said:

I can’t imagine us signing another coach like Erick.

I’m sure we’d go for a cut price solution based on @Bob Latchfords comments a few days ago. 
Concerning.

I can't imagine that Wellington Phoenix would be paying top dollars for their coach. So bargain basement is OK with me. BUT the disaster that was Joyce was probably not cheap and he had a cut price football mentality.