Melbourne Football

The Erick Mombaerts thread

jeffplz

On 29/06/2019 at 4:31 AM, jw1739 said:

Likewise. Seems to me that Joyce was the complete antithesis of what we would expect a CFG coach to be, and indeed he was the complete antithesis of both JvS (who won us our only silverware to date) and what I anticipate Erick Mombaerts to be.

I'm particularly interested in Mombaerts' statement that he wants to "create an identity for the club," given that the past two seasons under Joyce virtually destroyed any identity that we had.

All our signings so far look very sound ones to me, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what Erick can create for us.

I do believe that you are in for a much better season entertainment wise this season. Hopefully, with that the results will also come. One of the best seasons we had at City, was when we were in the 2nd division and Kevin Keegan took over. We scored over a 100 goals and the football was a joy to watch. I believe for all fans, attacking attractive football is number one on their list.

12 hours ago, silva10 said:

I do believe that you are in for a much better season entertainment wise this season. Hopefully, with that the results will also come. One of the best seasons we had at City, was when we were in the 2nd division and Kevin Keegan took over. We scored over a 100 goals and the football was a joy to watch. I believe for all fans, attacking attractive football is number one on their list.

I remember that season. It was a memorable one for Walsall fans too... The great Ray Graydon...

8 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

He is not saying that he will fillup line-up with youth players. He's saying that they lack on tactical level and need to improve.  That's maybe a sign of some good players coming to us. 

Sorry to say, no one is reading this post. #juicypalejugs

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 29/06/2019 at 9:51 AM, jw1739 said:

I really don't care where it is TBH. KPIs have to be quantified - that is they have to be measurable so that all parties know what they are expected to reach and whether, ultimately, they get there. "Playing attractive football" is not quantifiable, because it is subjective. If it is set as a KPI then whoever set it doesn't understand what KPIs are.

Ok it’s not a kpi. The club most likely has a expectation he plays attacking football and will judge him on his ability to produce attractive football

52 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

Don’t fuck wit my post title- leave “Sack Mombaerts” which is a forum tradition for the past 5 years

Don't you think we could be a little more diplomatic this time around? He's easily the most experienced coach we've had, and you started the thread before he'd even arrived. IMO we can do better than that.

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Don't you think we could be a little more diplomatic this time around? He's easily the most experienced coach we've had, and you started the thread before he'd even arrived. IMO we can do better than that.

It’s a joke. If you want me to sit here and explain how the thread is a play on the militant nature of city fans and subtleties involved with making a sarcastic thread like this it ruins it.

Make a Le Patron thread if you want a Le Patron thread, this is the Sack Mombaerts thread

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jeffplz said:

It’s a joke. If you want me to sit here and explain how the thread is a play on the militant nature of city fans and subtleties involved with making a sarcastic thread like this it ruins it.

Make a Le Patron thread if you want a Le Patron thread, this is the Sack Mombaerts thread

Not anymore pal.

51 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

R.I.P free speech

No-one is stopping anyone from saying sack Mombaerts, the thread title was updated to reflect the content being discussed and jeffplz couldn't handle not having his glory decided to go against moderators directions.

It should be noted by users, that moderators do take a somewhat laissez faire approach to moderating content, however when you actively bait the moderators and go against their directives and decision will will ban you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, malloy said:

No-one is stopping anyone from saying sack Mombaerts, the thread title was updated to reflect the content being discussed and jeffplz couldn't handle not having his glory decided to go against moderators directions.

It should be noted by users, that moderators do take a somewhat laissez faire approach to moderating content, however when you actively bait the moderators and go against their directives and decision will will ban you.

ye but he has a 0% win ratio and thats just not goof enough. Yep I said goof. 

Can we just hire a wheel barrow full of cheese and call it a day. 

(sorry it was happy hour again)

On 7/5/2019 at 4:58 PM, malloy said:

Yes my Führer

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, playmaker said:

What I took from that was that we are spending a lot more time than ever before on aspects of the game such as tactics and mental strength - which IMO we desperately needed to reduce and hopefully eliminate our habit of throwing away points in the last few minutes of matches.

Also I interpreted his comments as an indication that we're not overly fussed about next week's FFA Cup match - we'd like to win it but the main focus is on the League.

The more I see and hear about Mombaerts makes me wonder why we ever appointed Joyce two seasons ago - the two are diametric opposites in their approach to the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

...The more I see and hear about Mombaerts makes me wonder why we ever appointed Joyce two seasons ago - the two are diametric opposites in their approach to the game.

Joyce was just a pure knee-jerk response to the Hodgson review. As always with these things, the tendency is to over correct, which is what Joyce was.

I see this appointment as the club has learnt from the opposites of JVS and Joyce. I'd be extremely disappointed if EM doesn't bring the coaching philosophy we all want.

Very interesting interview. 

I've said this before but it's worth saying again: implementing this style will take a while and we should be patient. He's essentially teaching them, from scratch, how to play attacking football. After two seasons of whatever it is Joyce was getting them to play, they are having to learn a comprehensive style based on specific positioning and movement with/without the ball.

Three things stood out to me; inverted fullbacks, what he called a 'high press' and the importance of mental strength when playing our new style. This is less about defending a lead and more about the mental ability of the players in their application of the tactics.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1