Melbourne Football

The Erick Mombaerts thread

jeffplz

• 1 month later...
On 14/06/2019 at 5:38 PM, jeffplz said:

Just getting it warm before we take it out the oven

Its nice and hot now.

Time for a check in on how we are travelling with Mombaerts.

It appears that he has been in the job for 3 months now and we have not won a single A-league game! That's appalling! At least under Wazza we won the occasional A-league game.

Worse still we are level with Central Coast and Wellington on the bottom of the ladder.  I mean really - Wellington? 

And our membership has dropped to below 6,000 members. Its a disaster.

This would never be tolerated in the EPL. We need to turn this ship around before its too late.

Mombaerts must go! 

Edited by TheStig
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, NuggetsMcGreggor said:

What are you on about? No team has scored more A-League goals than us or conceded fewer. Our win ratio is the best in the league and we haven’t failed to score in a single game yet. 

I think you are gilding the lily. Our forward line is so useless that they haven't kicked a single goal in the 19/20 Aleague season. Our fans are so fed up that not a single fan has attended one of our A-league games this season (no doubt they have defected to Western United) and our injury position has been so bad that not one of our top recruits or marquees has played a single A-league game.

It's a disaster I tell you. He has to go.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hmm a draw in the derby. Not good enough! But at least its not a loss so we will keep the executioners axe in storage for another week.

Mind you our forward line STILL hasn't kicked an A-league goal all season. Worrying signs.

Edited by TheStig

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I can't help but wonder what Le Patron would have done with the holy trinity in his team (Mooy, Fornaroli and Novillo). We would have attacked even more effectively, but also defended effectively

Outta likes but geez this post made me sad. What a waste that squad was

4 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Just don't want the jinx to be put on us...knowing our history we will be the first club to balls up this stat. 

Joyce already managed that. Wanker.

Honestly though, other than Victory in RD1, we haven't played a genuine title contender. Yes I know they're 6th, but they'll be up in the top 4 come season's end.

I'd expect us to knock off Brisbane, will be interesting to see how we go against WSW assuming they stay up in the top 3.

Win the next two matches, and we'll be serious contenders.

3 hours ago, haz said:

Joyce already managed that. Wanker.

Honestly though, other than Victory in RD1, we haven't played a genuine title contender. Yes I know they're 6th, but they'll be up in the top 4 come season's end.

I'd expect us to knock off Brisbane, will be interesting to see how we go against WSW assuming they stay up in the top 3.

Win the next two matches, and we'll be serious contenders.

we’ve played Geelong.

They’ll finish higher than Wanderers who aren’t as good as their current table position suggests.

Edited by Shahanga

As a point of reference Arnold during his two successful seasons at Sydney FC averaged 2.38 points per match (ppm). Early days though, Mombaerts is currently at 2.60 ppm.

Joyce after two seasons averaged 1.51 ppm

Winning (premiership) managers for the last five seasons:

18/19 Popovic - 2.37

17/18 Arnold - 2.29

16/17 Arnold - 2.48

15/16 Amor - 1.90

14/15 Muscat - 2.03

In other words, for us to have a good shot of finishing on the top of the ladder come R29 Mombaerts needs to maintain an average of 2.3 ppm.

Excluding our three byes, that (2.3ppm) translates to about:

19 Wins, 4 Draws, 3 Losses

Or..... 😉

17 Wins, 9 Draws, 0 Losses

Edited by haz

5 hours ago, haz said:

As a point of reference Arnold during his two successful seasons at Sydney FC averaged 2.38 points per match (ppm). Early days though, Mombaerts is currently at 2.60 ppm.

Joyce after two seasons averaged 1.51 ppm

Winning (premiership) managers for the last five seasons:

18/19 Popovic - 2.37

17/18 Arnold - 2.29

16/17 Arnold - 2.48

15/16 Amor - 1.90

14/15 Muscat - 2.03

In other words, for us to have a good shot of finishing on the top of the ladder come R29 Mombaerts needs to maintain an average of 2.3 ppm.

Excluding our three byes, that (2.3ppm) translates to about:

19 Wins, 4 Draws, 3 Losses

Or..... 😉

17 Wins, 9 Draws, 0 Losses

Imo I think the more relevant ppm is who came second and to realise that you need to beat that. Obv forst can win in a canter some years so their end tally doesn't end up being what you 'need' to win it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Imo I think the more relevant ppm is who came second and to realise that you need to beat that. Obv forst can win in a canter some years so their end tally doesn't end up being what you 'need' to win it.

You are right , but the whole thing is complex as the evenness of the teams any year has a big impact. How good are last? How many points do they take?

Bottom sides who become 3 certain points skew a league, so @haz s method is as good as any.

• 2 weeks later...