Jump to content
Melbourne Football

Western Sydney


LR9
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Tommykins said:

In vaguely WSW related news was having a chat to a mate about the Turkish team that Popovic was managing at the start of the season. He was sacked with a 3 wins and 6 loses record after 9 games or so - as he tells it they've picked up 3 draws in the rest of the season and will be relegated in last place, looks about right based on what I can glean from wikipedia but maybe someone more familiar with the Turkish League can set me straight.

He was doomed to fail, the club's entire board resigned shortly after Popovic's appointment and he was actually making strides with the already shit squad. The board took Popovic with them when they left.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

He was doomed to fail, the club's entire board resigned shortly after Popovic's appointment and he was actually making strides with the already shit squad. The board took Popovic with them when they left.

According to Wikipedia he received A$1.4 million as compensation, so I don't suppose he's too fussed about leaving.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

According to Wikipedia he received A$1.4 million as compensation, so I don't suppose he's too fussed about leaving.

That depends on if he ever gets another chance in Europe. 

I think if he was desperate he could land an A League job pretty easy, but you'd think he would won't another gig in a bigger league. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gombau's a project manager, he basically breaks the team down and builds it up again in his image. The Wanderers board clearly expected better results short term which is ridiculous given the nature of Gombau's management process.

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

That depends on if he ever gets another chance in Europe. 

I think if he was desperate he could land an A League job pretty easy, but you'd think he would won't another gig in a bigger league. 

He'd likely need to start further down the leagues than he'd like which is a sacrifice he'd have to be willing to make. Regardless, his work in Barca's academy system is still a section on his resume that would see more than a few clubs show some interest I'd say.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Embee said:

Gombau's a project manager, he basically breaks the team down and builds it up again in his image. The Wanderers board clearly expected better results short term which is ridiculous given the nature of Gombau's management process.

He'd likely need to start further down the leagues than he'd like which is a sacrifice he'd have to be willing to make. Regardless, his work in Barca's academy system is still a section on his resume that would see more than a few clubs show some interest I'd say.

I was referring to Popovic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No smoke without fire, so I could see the board must have been restless.

 Pretty bloody stupid though if you ask me. Why hire him in the first place? You replace a coach known to prefer counter attacking with a coach known to prefer possession football, the new coach is going to struggle initially. Why not just hire a counter attacking coach at the start?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

No smoke without fire, so I could see the board must have been restless.

 Pretty bloody stupid though if you ask me. Why hire him in the first place? You replace a coach known to prefer counter attacking with a coach known to prefer possession football, the new coach is going to struggle initially. Why not just hire a counter attacking coach at the start?

The whole club seems to me to be in a mess. Too successful in its first two seasons it's been downhill from there, and neither the club nor its fans know how to cope with that. On top of that, the rebuild of Parramatta Stadium (a A$300 project) hasn't helped them stabilise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, mus-28 said:

Surprised with Clisby being released, was better at LB than their Spanish LB who didn't know how to defend. Can see him going to Central Coast and being a regular solid performer.

I always thought that he was quite a good player, although like most LBs we have he was consistently bagged on here (see also Josh Rose and now Scott Jamieson).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/wanderers-name-ex-german-international-babbel-as-boss-to-lead-rebuild-20180519-p4zgav.html

Babbel quoted as saying:

"First I have to meet the players to see what is the strengths of the team," Babbel said. "Of course I like to have the ball but you need the players for this. If not, we have other tactics. We have enough time to find out what is the best system and style of play."

A coach that finds a style that suits the cattle he's got! Not so much square pegs in round holes but systems to match the players. Ange  :droy:
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tommykins said:

While I hope the Babbel appointment works out for WSW - I think it needs to be greeted with a small note of caution, he's a decade removed from his (excellent) work with Stuttgart and has spent the last 3 seasons finishing middle and slightly above in the Swiss league.

Totally agree. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
14 hours ago, haz said:

Looks good

Dont know why so many teams have gone with black this season though

It's probably less to do with the clubs than it is to do with the manufacturers. They probably all go to an annual conference where they all copy what they think are the best new ideas.

TBH, the whole kit thing shits me to tears. Once upon a time a club's kit lasted you for season after season - you only discarded it when you outgrew it. It was an item of great pride. Nowadays it's just an advertising gimmick. Look at Perth - could "QBE" get any larger?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Baumjohann is looking quite the player, could be a good bet for the Johnny Warren Medal if he can drag the pretty mediocre group he's got around him to the finals.

 

As much as I hate this mob you have to have some sympathy for them when they're getting excited about Kamau because he's not quite as shit as Sotirio....nobody deserves that.

Edited by mus-28
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 27/04/2018 at 7:50 PM, mus-28 said:

Surprised with Clisby being released, was better at LB than their Spanish LB who didn't know how to defend. Can see him going to Central Coast and being a regular solid performer.

BUMP. Llorente gifting us two goals tonight. Glad they released Clisby instead of this vegetable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...