Melbourne Football

Western Sydney

LR9

dont know how to take their squad.

bouzanis is still young so jury is still out.  keepers dont tend to blossom until their late 20s early 30s so the fact Popovic has given him support is at least something.

they have three very decent centre backs in Spiranovic, Toper Stanley (the kent shits me to tears but still has his value) and Hamill.  Cole can be versatile and Jamisons handy so they should decent. one hell of a platform to build from.

Tesla / MHFCRC are right; they have had seemingly worse squads in the past.  lack of injuries / ACL commitments should give them a fair leg up too.

• 2 weeks later...

Signed Mitch Nicholls on a 2 year deal. 2 spots left on the roster and 2 visa spots available. They have to pick up a striker and a winger, can't rely on Santalab, Bridge and Castelan to provide your goals. Defensively and in midfield they look quite good if their Spanish midfielder is semi-decent.

• 2 weeks later...

Spiranovic gone to Hangzhou Greentown FC in the CSL. Looking like another lowly season for WSW.

Rejected offers from Europe, apparently including EPL and Ligue One.

Can't blame the bloke for going for the money but with offers from good league's like that I dunno. It's different to Juric as he didn't have any European offers on the table.

Rejected offers from Europe, apparently including EPL and Ligue One.

Can't blame the bloke for going for the money but with offers from good league's like that I dunno. It's different to Juric as he didn't have any European offers on the table.

was interest from belgium but no deal put forward, hangzhou greentown gave him till thursday to decide 

http://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/article/wanderers-sign-piovaccari/wgpgitc499912nk5m6d039pi
Monday, 27 July 2015 -

The NRMA Insurance Western Sydney Wanderers have today announced the signing of striker Federico Piovaccari as the Club’s marquee for the Hyundai A-League 2015/16 season.
The 30-year-old Italian has experience in some of the top leagues in European football including Liga 1, La Liga, Serie B and Lega Pro as well as the group stage of the 2013/14 UEFA Champions League making nearly 300 appearances in all competitions scoring 84 goals.

Spending the past two seasons at La Liga side SD Eibar and Liga 1 side Steaua Bucharest on loan from Sampdoria the marksman comes with a strong pedigree.
Wanderers CEO John Tsatsimas said that Piovaccari ticked all the boxes the Club was looking for in a marquee.

“What we have in Federico is a proven goal scorer who has performed consistently at the top level including in the UEFA Champions League, Serie B, Liga 1 and La Liga,” said CEO.

“At 30-years-of-age and coming off a season in one of the top leagues in world football I believe we have brought in a player who will complement our team and our style with a real attacking threat.”

image: http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Western_Sydney_Wanderers/55/86/federico-piovaccari_ucohyo9ih4w11hp9mpz71qkgv.jpg?t=-837320842

federico-piovaccari_ucohyo9ih4w11hp9mpz7

Piovaccari said he was excited for him and his family for the opportunity to play for the Wanderers.

"I'm really happy and can't wait to start this new challenge in my football career, I know it's going to be a wonderful experience for me and my family.

“I would like to thank the Club and Chairman for this opportunity, I'll do everything in my power to pay back their faith in me… Forza Wanderers!”

My favourite part of the announcement...announcing his goal celebration trademark... 

• 1 month later...

Already a better signing than Koren

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Neither would I...

The bloke has had a much higher status as an A-League Player than he has deserved for a while... reminds of a Backrunner Money Muncher who PPL keep saying all Early Spring is the one to watch when it next steps out into the yard.

What's ironic is that for a long time people were complaining about the cap and limits it places on clubs and with the introduction of 2 marquees from anywhere a few clubs are using them for the younger Aussie players. Maybe next season with more time and planning clubs may start to bring in the bigger foreign names again.

Very interesting. 

Very good player. Better than quite a few 'marquees' so  I don't know why that's being questioned. Actually a legitimate marquee if you ask me, established national team player etc.

It will be between him and mooy this season for best Aussie in the league and TBh he might take it.

I'm not questioning Vidosic per say. More that the second Marquee spot could have been a visa player. 

I think with more time clubs would have maybe looked at other players. It's just interesting to me that for ages people have been complaining that the old Aussie Marquee spot has been used to bring washed up players on there last legs ( we have probably exceeded here) and now that the restriction has been lifted some clubs are still using it Australian players. 

So going into this season the League really doesn't have any bona-fide big names just an interesting trend.

I'm not questioning Vidosic per say. More that the second Marquee spot could have been a visa player. 

I think with more time clubs would have maybe looked at other players. It's just interesting to me that for ages people have been complaining that the old Aussie Marquee spot has been used to bring washed up players on there last legs ( we have probably exceeded here) and now that the restriction has been lifted some clubs are still using it Australian players. 

So going into this season the League really doesn't have any bona-fide big names just an interesting trend.

I think its more the case of the FFA bringing in the change ad hoc and so late and clubs were already deep in discussions with aus marquees. Really, the FFA should have said it started from next season. 

• Like 6

I think its more the case of the FFA bringing in the change ad hoc and so late and clubs were already deep in discussions with aus marquees. Really, the FFA should have said it started from next season. 

Spot on. If what we've been told in the past is true, clubs are in communication with player agents on a continual basis, often well before a player is coming to the end of a contract. In some cases pre-contract undertakings are made. FFA needs to announce any changes at least six months before they are due to come into effect.

Edited by jw1739

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

:up: 

I'm a WSW member but not a RBB member but here is my thoughts.

It's true the RBB is not bigger than the club but you have to acknowledge as an active supporter group there is no group better, more organised and committed than the RBB.

If you take away the RBB, I highly doubt a replacement group can form on it's own and even come close to replicating what the RBB brought to the table on gameday. We become the new Sydney FC. 

If you take away the RBB, our crowds will suffer and our TV ratings will suffer which subsequently leads to lower leagues and ratings league wide.

The A-League would have been defunct by now without the Wanderers and the Victory. If you kill the RBB, it wouldn't surprise me if the league folded within 10 years.
So yes WSW > RBB but without the RBB there is a chance there is no A-league.

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, n i k o said:

I heard a rumour that Redmayne soon will be or has already been given the sack. Shit cunt. 

Who would they have as their back up keeper? I can imagine WSW parting ways with him at season's end but not right now. And Reddy didn't cover himself with glory last Friday night.