Melbourne Football

Western Sydney

LR9

Fixed.

Seriously, my wife calls him "the angry man".

She also see's Berisha and says "Why the hell is that dickhead always on my TV?"

Your wife sounds like a laugh!

Yeah, "sounds" like a laugh.

She just calls stuff as she sees it.

To be honest, she never actually pays attention. Usually just picks up on things totally irrelevant to the game, dare I say it, like a typical female!

Edited by Pete Heartspur

Fixed.

Seriously, my wife calls him "the angry man".

She also see's Berisha and says "Why the hell is that dickhead always on my TV?"

Your wife sounds like a laugh!

Yeah, "sounds" like a laugh.

She just calls stuff as she sees it.

To be honest, she never actually pays attention. Usually just picks up on things totally irrelevant to the game, dare I say it, like a typical female!

My wife broke out the timeless charm "Is this the longest game in history, it's been going on forever" in the 65th minute of the Sydney v Mariners game yesterday. Phil Moss football can have that effect on a game.

• 2 weeks later...

Any thoughts on the Wanderers players call for 50% of the $ in the wcc?

Plain bloody greedy or fair enough ? I guess I'm leaning towards greedy

This is an issue that should have been resolved months ago.

Personally, 10% is probably unjust but the near $1 million that the players shared in for winning the ACL Final should have been enough to represent the club at the CWC too.

Any talk of the players not taking the pitch in Morocco I'm sure is just fanciful. Though, if such actions were to be taken I'd hate to consider the consequences for Australian Football as a whole.

Anyone else find it weird how little the world cares about the Club World Cup?

In theory it should be the most prestigious club tournament in the world but at the end of the day, nobody really gives a fuck about it. 

Think it's due to fuck all coverage and hype? It's like foxsports is mentioning it for the first time this year because wsw are in it, and they always talk about it every week which does increase my interest, but before wsw won the acl, I would have forgotten this even existed at times :droy:

Edited by Young Polak

In theory it should be the most prestigious club tournament in the world but at the end of the day, nobody really gives a fuck about it. 

Think it's due to fuck all coverage and hype? It's like foxsports is mentioning it for the first time this year because wsw are in it, and they always talk about it every week which does increase my interest, but before wsw won the acl, I would have forgotten this even existed at times :droy:

real madrid playing its first game in a semi final shows how poor a tournament it is

Any thoughts on the Wanderers players call for 50% of the $ in the wcc?

Plain bloody greedy or fair enough ? I guess I'm leaning towards greedy

This is an issue that should have been resolved months ago.

Personally, 10% is probably unjust but the near $1 million that the players shared in for winning the ACL Final should have been enough to represent the club at the CWC too.

Any talk of the players not taking the pitch in Morocco I'm sure is just fanciful. Though, if such actions were to be taken I'd hate to consider the consequences for Australian Football as a whole.

The players have a contract, they're paid a salary, and they should get a small cut of the prize money to help incentivise them further. But the majority should remain with the club.

Anyone remember my Northern Spirit analogy from back in the day? :hmm:

Bit ironic that the club you support is the one that got taken over by a foreign club.

A bit ironic yes...

But it would have been very ironic however if we had be taken over by Gers. ;)

Would have bought 20 memberships if that happened, just because it would have been so hilarious.

Most people who watch sport want competition.  This is the problem with this club world cup thingy, due to the rise of $ football, Europe now has all the money and ruthlessly and efficiently vacuums up good footballers from around the world, so that where as when Craig Johnston had the honour to be (I presume) the first Australian* to play in the final of this tournament, he was in awe of the Brazilian players he came up against, like the great Zico and knew that Liverpool, European champions though they were, were huge underdogs.

Now, due to the $, the European champions are light years ahead of all the other teams.  This isn't a competition between the best 6 club teams in the world, its the best plus 5 sides that would not be good enough consistently to play in the top flight of a major league.  Now fortunately football being football, over 90 minutes you always have a chance, no matter how outclassed you are (just ask WSW), so the tournament is not quite a foregone conclusion, but no one expects the final of this match to meet the standard of the UEFA Champions League final.

* perhaps not  really an Aussie (born in SA, played u21 for England), but he thought of himself as one, which counts for a lot.

• Like 1

Anyone remember my Northern Spirit analogy from back in the day? :hmm:

Bit ironic that the club you support is the one that got taken over by a foreign club.

A bit ironic yes...

But it would have been very ironic however if we had be taken over by Gers. ;)

I think this the only analogy I have seen that equals me seeing my team warm up in the colours of the enemy from between the Tweed and the Murray.

Most people who watch sport want competition.  This is the problem with this club world cup thingy, due to the rise of $ football, Europe now has all the money and ruthlessly and efficiently vacuums up good footballers from around the world, so that where as when Craig Johnston had the honour to be (I presume) the first Australian* to play in the final of this tournament, he was in awe of the Brazilian players he came up against, like the great Zico and knew that Liverpool, European champions though they were, were huge underdogs.

Now, due to the $, the European champions are light years ahead of all the other teams.  This isn't a competition between the best 6 club teams in the world, its the best plus 5 sides that would not be good enough consistently to play in the top flight of a major league.  Now fortunately football being football, over 90 minutes you always have a chance, no matter how outclassed you are (just ask WSW), so the tournament is not quite a foregone conclusion, but no one expects the final of this match to meet the standard of the UEFA Champions League final.

* perhaps not  really an Aussie (born in SA, played u21 for England), but he thought of himself as one, which counts for a lot.

Both of Craig Johnston's parents were Australian

they both went to England ( together I think, it's been a while since I've re read his book) His Dad wanted to try and make it in England as a footballer

He was conceived in England, his parents thought it best to go home ( to Oz) he was born in SA, thn they returned to Oz

• 3 weeks later...

Neil Warnock sacked by Crystal Palace . What price their favourite son Popa returning?

Mind you a tough gig. They are struggling and about to lose their skipper for a month. Relegation is a very real possibility.

It was an absolute miracle they survived relegation last season as they looked dead and buried by Christmas, they had a really strong second half of the season so it'll be interesting to see how they fare this time. 

I'd still be surprised if Popa was chosen for the gig though, too much of a risk for Palace imo.

Yeah it seems managers with experience in relegation battles are generally preferred

Agree, but I do like to see Popa being offered (it shows signs of recognition to an Aussie) and he accepted it. It will be huge for Australian football in general to see an Aussie managing an EPL club. Opp like this seldom arrives, as normally EPL clubs would look in other parts of Europe or even South America. Imagine if he did managed to turn things around, the legacy and the perception on Aussie managers will change. 

Edited by raw10
  • Like 1

They held up a banner saying "fight like your fans" and apparently had words over that. Not sure what was said with Covic and Cole.

Edited: Apparently had something to do with a member of rbb fighting against cancer????

With their reputation, surely they could have worded that better or gave it some context beforehand.

• Like 1