Melbourne Football

Western Sydney

LR9

• 4 weeks later...

A casual glance suggests that Spotless looks a god-awful ground on which to play football. There'll be no atmosphere whatsoever. Still, I suppose the bricks thrown from the crowd won't be able to reach the pitch. I wonder why they didn't choose Penrith Park?

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

A casual glance suggests that Spotless looks a god-awful ground on which to play football. There'll be no atmosphere whatsoever. Still, I suppose the bricks thrown from the crowd won't be able to reach the pitch. I wonder why they didn't choose Penrith Park?

Reaction online seems to be that the members didn't want people on waiting lists for memberships (the current issue and why expanding) so Penrith wouldn't suffice 

• 4 weeks later...

So funny how they're crying that Brisbane also let off flares last week and should receive punishment. The fact that Brisbane a) never let off flares ever and b) that they self policed the incident by reporting they guy to the security immediately, doesn't even register on wsw supporters minds.

Western Sydney Wanderers coach Tony Popovic accuses Adelaide United's A-League champions of not playing football

By James Coventry

Western Sydney Wanderers coach Tony Popovic has thrown shade over Adelaide United's maiden A-League championship, accusing the Reds of abandoning the beautiful game in their quest for victory.

In a pulsating grand final at Adelaide Oval, the Reds won 3-1 despite controlling just 35 per cent of possession.

"They didn't play football," said Popovic.

"They played long balls, second balls - and we didn't deal with those second balls very well.

"But that's what you get in a final."

Adelaide United's coach Guillermo Amor, who has spent most of his career with the high priests of passing at Barcelona, seemed bemused by the accusation.

"He said that?" Amor asked.

"Carrusca played fantastically with the ball, Kamau, Sergio and the other players.

"It is normal to..."

Unfortunately, at that point Amor's rebuttal was cut short by United's jubilant players gate-crashing the news conference and showering him in champagne.

But the statistics would seem to tell their own tale.

United recorded 59 long balls to the Wanderers' 63, albeit while attempting just 265 passes to the visitors' 497.

"They just kept playing long balls, so I'm not sure what else we could have done," said Popovic.

"We had some chances, but we didn't make the most of our moments in the first half.

"We weren't at our best, that's for sure."

The loss was Western Sydney's third grand final defeat in four years, and Popovic admits it will hurt everyone involved with the club.

"We don't hide the fact we want to win everything - we're not embarrassed by that," he said.

"We wanted to win this title at the start of the year but at the end of the day Adelaide won and we didn't, so we move on."

latest?cb=20100318024246

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

So funny how they're crying that Brisbane also let off flares last week and should receive punishment. The fact that Brisbane a) never let off flares ever and b) that they self policed the incident by reporting they guy to the security immediately, doesn't even register on wsw supporters minds.

Despite the fact that them and the NT have got away with atrocious behaviour (on AND off the field) with basically the equivalent of slaps on the wrist for the last few years they still both cry victim every time they're disciplined in any way.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

If smashed seats = lost points we are doomed with two Etihad derbys next season

Tbh the smashed seats thing at the GF is nothing, just came about by people standing on the seats and jumping around. Certainly nowhere near as bad as our Ethad derby a few years ago where the seats were deliberately smashed and thrown on the pitch. Massive difference in my opinion with intentional v accidental.

The flare will be the more obvious concern for the rbb, and one that given the suspended sentence will probably earn them a deduction.

Edited by bt50

Well it seems that Wanderers will not be getting points deducted, so why give that ruling earlier in the season ? To me this sends a big message to Wanderers fans that it does'nt matter how many flares you rip nothing will happen. FFA YOU ARE A TOOTHLESS TIGER AND YOU ARE ENCOURAGING BAD BEHAVIOUR FOR GODS SAKE GROW SOME BALLS AND ENACT THE FINES AND THE DEDUCTIONS IT'S THE ONLY WAY THESE MORONS WILL LEARN !!!!!

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

Well it seems that Wanderers will not be getting points deducted, so why give that ruling earlier in the season ? To me this sends a big message to Wanderers fans that it does'nt matter how many flares you rip nothing will happen. FFA YOU ARE A TOOTHLESS TIGER AND YOU ARE ENCOURAGING BAD BEHAVIOUR FOR GODS SAKE GROW SOME BALLS AND ENACT THE FINES AND THE DEDUCTIONS IT'S THE ONLY WAY THESE MORONS WILL LEARN !!!!!

Same old FFA making it all up as they go. It blows my mind that the world game in this country is run on a whim like the AFL and NRL.

30 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

No, it's a lot easier to get stuck into Melbourne City over Anthony Caceres.

Quote https://au.sports.yahoo.com/football/a/31501199/wanderers-unlikely-to-lose-points/

"We always said we wouldn't be taking points off clubs unless we felt that the behaviour warranted it," Gallop told Sky Sports Radio's Big Sports Breakfast.

"Flares are obviously an issue, but it was never a case where one or two flares necessarily meant that we would take points.

"We want to look at the overall conduct and by and large the police reports that the fans were well behaved."

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

the police reports

and here lies the issue. I have worked with Vicpol, NSWpol and SApol this season and by far and away SApol don't care about the bad behaviour. They are far more relaxed than both Vic and NSW forces. If they are purely going to base the fines and points on police reports then basically any bad behaviour in Vic will result in issues and other states will get off much easier.

Just as a side note both instances that warranted the suspended points deductions took place in Melbourne.

19 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

and here lies the issue. I have worked with Vicpol, NSWpol and SApol this season and by far and away SApol don't care about the bad behaviour. They are far more relaxed than both Vic and NSW forces. If they are purely going to base the fines and points on police reports then basically any bad behaviour in Vic will result in issues and other states will get off much easier.

Just as a side note both instances that warranted the suspended points deductions took place in Melbourne.

Much less of a nanny state than good old Vic and NSW

My brother attended a business luncheon where Steve Lowy spoke - at the table was a power hitting barrister as well as football people. His assessment was damning of Lowy, so much so that the table lost interest. He came across as indecisive, visionless and unable to press a point. And this with a bloke asking dorothy dixers and sympathetic audience. So I am not surprised about the WSW results.

4 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Much less of a nanny state than good old Vic and NSW

They have cheaper beer and less strict rules on weed, if it wasn't such a desolate shithole I'd almost consider it

2 minutes ago, hedaik said:

Ive got no issue with no points being deducted. Theres a difference between co-ordinated/planned events and once offs where the terrace leaders couldn't realistically stop it from happening. 

I would agree if they hadn't done victory for what I would consider once offs that the NT leadership probably couldn't stop

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I would agree if they hadn't done victory for what I would consider once offs that the NT leadership probably couldn't stop

TBF tho, those fuckers well and truly had it coming.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Not according to the banning order I received from Hindmarsh stadium for "yelling and waving my arms around"

Edited by Tesla

5 hours ago, NewConvert said:

My brother attended a business luncheon where Steve Lowy spoke - at the table was a power hitting barrister as well as football people. His assessment was damning of Lowy, so much so that the table lost interest. He came across as indecisive, visionless and unable to press a point. And this with a bloke asking dorothy dixers and sympathetic audience. So I am not surprised about the WSW results.

Let's face it, he's only there because he's Daddy's boy. Frank will still be calling the shots. God, what a useless trio - Lowy, Gallop and De Bohun. I just wish we had a media in Australia with the balls to take FFA on.

On 05/05/2016 at 8:31 PM, n i k o said:

Reads to me that it didn't really achieve anything. It does sound like the police do lack a bit of understanding of terraces and soccer crowds, but I also find it pretty hard to defend RBB. 

2 hours ago, hedaik said:

Reads to me that it didn't really achieve anything. It does sound like the police do lack a bit of understanding of terraces and soccer crowds, but I also find it pretty hard to defend RBB. 

I agree. I was expecting some sort of solutions/closure on the issues at hand, which there wasn't. Also agree with your second comment re the rbb, but in saying that some of the behaviour of the police is pretty bad. 

3 hours ago, hedaik said:

I have dealt/deal with one of the rbb reps that was in the inquiry and he's a fairly reasonable guy for the most part. I think in the instance of the rbb (and to a lesser extent most active groups) both sides misunderstand each other but there is also a clear lack of desire to engage the other stakeholders to collaboratively develop a system that works.