Melbourne Football

Who is our greatest player of all time?

Nate

Who is our greatest player of all time?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who is our greatest player of all time?

Depends how you look at it.

If just mens - Mooy has gone on and helped promote Huddersfield and maintain them in the Premier League for 2 seasons. There is a lot of interest in him and he has done well both abroad and in the international squad. 

Fornaroli was devastating for City in his prime. Set the league alight. Skilled and exciting. Played with passion and for the badge.

Mooy will always be remembered for what he has done since City. I suspect Fornaroli will always be remembered for that stunning 2 seasons we had with him in his prime.

The next way you can look and say who has done best since being at City? Redmayne confirmed. 

Depends if you are going for brilliance for a short period or a sustained period at the club

For me it's out of 3. Mooy, Fornaroli or Behich 

I'm going with Mooy just as I think his 2 seasons were slightly better than Bruno combined, but it's an argument you can have for any of the 3

My top 3 based on game day impact and ability to turn a result:

1. Bruno

2. Mooy

3. Novillo

Our greatest period ever involved all 3 on the pitch at the same time.

ps: Bart has been as a consistent a performer as we have ever had, so he gets my Mr Consistency vote.

2 hours ago, Nate said:

Apologies to Jess Fishlock, I never invested in our women's team and that's to my own detriment but I won't argue the plaudits for her since I'm aware how good she was in a strong performing side.

She just won a champions league final Mooy is light years away in comparison. 

Mooy for me. Utterly sublime in his two seasons for us.
Bruno was amazing in his first season too and prob on par with Mooy that season, but imo the season Mooy had before was better than the one Bruno had after, and since his injury Bruno dropped off a fair bit.

Mooy for me, I don't think we'll ever see another Australian player dominate the league quite like he did for consecutive seasons. If only he'd play as #10 for the Socceroos instead of having to accommodate Rogic because he can dribble past some farmers.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

What about "Who is our most maligned player of all time?"

Depends on what you mean by maligned. Malik is definitely up there as one of the most loudly, but imo unfairly criticised, so is Hoffman probably. Maycon always cops it, but he actually was utter shite. Jezza Walker fell on both sides of the coin - copped a lot but mostly cos there was a few that thought he couldnt do any wrong. Mifsud, Kuzmanovski come to mind.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Depends on what you mean by maligned. Malik is definitely up there as one of the most loudly, but imo unfairly criticised, so is Hoffman probably. Maycon always cops it, but he actually was utter shite. Jezza Walker fell on both sides of the coin - copped a lot but mostly cos there was a few that thought he couldnt do any wrong. Mifsud, Kuzmanovski come to mind.

100% Hoffman.

He actually turned into a handy player eventually, but he was pretty horrible early on as a right back (started as a decent youth striker if I remember correctly).

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Rutger Worm copped a lot. Nico Colazo another one. Robi Koren.

57 minutes ago, Young Polak said:

OMG, that brings back nostalgic memories. The colours. The fantastic support we had. If only we could bring it all back. F*** the "CFG brand."

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

That first touch from Kewell was first class.

When you think about it, we've had some seriously good Socceroos play for us at different stages (obviously not at their peak).

- MOOY
- Harry Kewell
- Tim Cahill
- John Aloisi
- Josh Kennedy
- Vince Grella
- Josip Skoko

And then the less iconic but still well-capped types like Behich, Garcia, Vidosic, Colosimo, Beauchamp and Kisnorbo.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Nate said:

That first touch from Kewell was first class.

When you think about it, we've had some seriously good Socceroos play for us at different stages (obviously not at their peak).

- MOOY
- Harry Kewell
- Tim Cahill
- John Aloisi
- Josh Kennedy
- Vince Grella
- Josip Skoko

And then the less iconic but still well-capped types like Behich, Garcia, Vidosic, Colosimo, Beauchamp and Kisnorbo.

Grella is stretching things a bit. I think it was 20 minutes. 

But yes the rest all mentioned I would agree.

Think the point he is making is that David Villa is a legendary player and is one of the greatest players of all time hense that is why he is the best player to 'wear' the jersey. And CFG stuffed us over with that by pissing him of to newly founded new york but that doesnt mean he isnt the greatest player to put the jersey on. Champions league winner, WC winner and Euros winner

16 hours ago, jeffplz said:

I was embarassed while david villa was here. He ended up realising we had no offensive plan and tried created things by himself to no avail. then he left like 2 weeks 

Put in the midfield by JVS. Hahaha uh this club

12 hours ago, TheStig said:

Orlando Engelaar

For this goal

I miss the big man, besides this one scored some crackers too. 

It's a guy like this what makes me think - why CFG can't give us some proper marquees, it's not that hard, they are around - Late in his career, represented his country and just good quality for this league. 

Edited by Mr MO