Melbourne Football

Squad 2019/2020

Harrison

Well today is the last day of expiring contracts for 2020. What are forumites impressions of who will be 'let go' who will 'want to go', players that will 'stay on for the 2020 season finishing only', and those that will 'not return'.

Yes i am bored..

39 minutes ago, citymad said:

Well today is the last day of expiring contracts for 2020. What are forumites impressions of who will be 'let go' who will 'want to go', players that will 'stay on for the 2020 season finishing only', and those that will 'not return'.

Yes i am bored..

So Hendry is gone and Windbichler is still here. I think it’s too difficult to speculate on the foreigners but I think they will all stay here to complete the season. Beyond that? No clue. 

I’m more worried about the viability of the League going forward. How our squad looks isn’t that important to me right now I suppose. I hope we can keep as many as possible (and Mombaerts) because we’re not far off it. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, citymad said:

Yes i am bored..

According to my records, players technically out-of-contract tomorrow are as follows:

Bouzanis, Gauci;

Delbridge, Griffiths, Atkinson (and Hendry);

Berenguer, Genreau;

Wales, Susaeta, Oliveiro.

It would be nice if the club could be a little more forthcoming about what is happening with players.

Edited by jw1739

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Contracts all expire either today or tomorrow, all contracts can be declared null and void with the rumoured salary cap reduction. Pretty much the above list means nothing anymore from what I understand.

Interesting times.

Edited by Mr MO

18 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I can't wait for our squad rebuild and due the covid we might get to see a dump of the high earning passengers, bring forward the youth! I'm confident we can match players like Noone, Berenguer and Luna with local Australians.

My two-pennyworth:

IMO Luna is OK, very industrious in midfield. Biggest disappointment would be Noone. Like Berenguer I don't think he provides enough when it matters - they both seem to be single-paced and unable to rise to the big occasion.

I'm also very disappointed that we've let Genreau go (without knowing the details of course).

In the current climate of the world, I think it's going to be harder than ever to release players under contract and also getting in new visa players. So of the 5 visa spots we have, 3 have contracts. I think everyone agrees Windy deserves a spot, I'd say most are happy enough with Luna, and the jury is out on Noone. We might be stuck with them next season and we might have to get by with whatever visa players we can get. 

I think our biggest tool we need to use is the ability to get Aussie players back, like Leckie or anyone else not getting great game time and sell them the club whilst being back in Australia 

1 hour ago, neio said:

In the current climate of the world, I think it's going to be harder than ever to release players under contract and also getting in new visa players. So of the 5 visa spots we have, 3 have contracts. I think everyone agrees Windy deserves a spot, I'd say most are happy enough with Luna, and the jury is out on Noone. We might be stuck with them next season and we might have to get by with whatever visa players we can get. 

I think our biggest tool we need to use is the ability to get Aussie players back, like Leckie or anyone else not getting great game time and sell them the club whilst being back in Australia 

Contracts seem to be void due the salary cap reduction, it’s easier than ever to get rid of contracts.

Edited by Mr MO

41 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Contracts seem to be void due the salary cap reduction, it’s easier than ever to get rid of contracts.

Is that confirmed, I thought that contracts still stood you just lost a percentage, and you could void contract if you didn't like it. But the club can't terminate you without mutual concent. 

If you are right though, then off to transfer market we go. Go and pick the eyes out of the Aussie talent in the league 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

My two-pennyworth:

IMO Luna is OK, very industrious in midfield. Biggest disappointment would be Noone. Like Berenguer I don't think he provides enough when it matters - they both seem to be single-paced and unable to rise to the big occasion.

I'm also very disappointed that we've let Genreau go (without knowing the details of course).

I'd keep Luna. Decent player enough of the time, scores and assists, gets through a lot of work, takes a lot of punishment. Decent 8 at this level. Noone I'm a bit yeah-nah about, same with Florin. Not sure either are marquee worthy. 

And we must, must keep Atkinson. Great young talent, works his nuts off, fights like a sacked ferret, attacks all day, never gives up. And I gather outside the cap because home grown. Indeed, all the home grown talent we have which can sit outside the cap may be our secret superpower. 

• Like 1

Reckon Florin needs to go. He had a brief good spell when the league resumed but the last few games he disappeared yet again. He isn’t worthy of a marquee spot that’s for sure and we inherited him under Joyce. Luna and Noone I think have their good days. It’s a shame we couldn’t see the form Noone had throughout the FFA cup. One thing we lack and seriously need to look at is a player to support Jmac. Lets be honest if Jmac was to suffer an injury who do we have to step in and replace him. No offence to the bloke but Wales isn’t cut out as a starter. He is a bench player at best who could come on with about 20 mins left to tire out the defenders. Just my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, heart1011 said:

Reckon Florin needs to go. He had a brief good spell when the league resumed but the last few games he disappeared yet again. He isn’t worthy of a marquee spot that’s for sure and we inherited him under Joyce. Luna and Noone I think have their good days. It’s a shame we couldn’t see the form Noone had throughout the FFA cup. One thing we lack and seriously need to look at is a player to support Jmac. Lets be honest if Jmac was to suffer an injury who do we have to step in and replace him. No offence to the bloke but Wales isn’t cut out as a starter. He is a bench player at best who could come on with about 20 mins left to tire out the defenders. Just my opinion.

I wouldn’t mind if Noone departs too, I was a fan but recently so fragile on the ball, no shot and no pace. Luna would be the only one I would keep as I can see him flourish more next to a better attacking midfielder.

Luna was fantastic once he got up to speed before the lockdown. He was clearly underdone at the restart considering he'd spent 80 days indoors whilst in Mexico and another 14 day quarantine in Melbourne upon his return. 

I'd happily keep him and Windy and use our 3 Visa spots on wingers and a creative midfielder.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, heart1011 said:

Any truth to the Atkinson to Perth rumour? I certainly hope it's not true!! Wasn't this same rumour going around last off season? Surely we need to keep him!!

Hopefully we keep him homegrown player outside the cap starting fullback why would he leave top 2, acl next season, GF. Perth manager just walked out the club. 

there was a rumour last season and in January regarding Perth. His Instagram said “we will be back”. Have to wait and see

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CityBoyz said:

Hopefully we keep him homegrown player outside the cap starting fullback why would he leave top 2, acl next season, GF. Perth manager just walked out the club. 

there was a rumour last season and in January regarding Perth. His Instagram said “we will be back”. Have to wait and see

Hope he bloody stays! He wears his heart on his sleeve and has come forward in leaps and bounds the last couple of seasons.

• Like 1

Just now, heart1011 said:

Hope he bloody stays! He wears his heart on his sleeve and has come forward in leaps and bounds the last couple of seasons.

Loved his passion on Sunday night future captain. Need to keep these players which is what builds culture been here from our academy. We get concessions need to take advantage of them like Sydney as Connor, Nate, Ramy, Colakovski all wages outside the cap homegrown players 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Loved his passion on Sunday night future captain. Need to keep these players which is what builds culture been here from our academy. We get concessions need to take advantage of them like Sydney as Connor, Nate, Ramy, Colakovski all wages outside the cap homegrown players 

Loyalty players is another one we keep missing out on, Brattan could been have out of the cap this season.

I don’t think we look into this very much, the end of day being in or out the cap still means that these players need to be paid. As we’ve learned we run a tight regime when it comes to budget, unlike what’s always been suggested in the media.

3 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Loyalty players is another one we keep missing out on, Brattan could been have out of the cap this season.

I don’t think we look into this very much, the end of day being in or out the cap still means that these players need to be paid. As we’ve learned we run a tight regime when it comes to budget, unlike what’s always been suggested in the media.

I suspect we'll take more notice now. We're not under the financial pressure of others. We're the only ones who continued to play our players during lockdown. Next season with a reduced cap we are able to out spend some others by being canny on issues like this.

3 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

Agreed. He should be front and centre in the future of our club. And yes, future captain material. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I suspect we'll take more notice now. We're not under the financial pressure of others. We're the only ones who continued to play our players during lockdown. Next season with a reduced cap we are able to out spend some others by being canny on issues like this.

That has always been my feeling anyways. with youth or loyalty players outside the cap - meaning we don’t actively chase these bonuses as we are bound to a strict budget. Its a shame really because it can give you the edge over others as Sydney has proven.

Similar story with marque players we clearly don’t have a blank cheque book, everything done seem to be well considered business moves.

Edited by Mr MO

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Did anyone else listen to Simon Pearce last night? He was very self-satisfied, almost smug, saying that City is now "where we want it to be."

Therefore I can't see us changing our approach with Melbourne City and the A-League. Get ready for more of the same.

Maybe it's just me, but can you point out exactly what the issue is?

28 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Maybe it's just me, but can you point out exactly what the issue is?

No issue at all. Simply saying that I don't see us changing our strict budget approach, and therefore we won't chase allowances/bonuses outside the cap nor will we open the chequebook with marquees.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

No issue at all. Simply saying that I don't see us changing our strict budget approach, and therefore we won't chase allowances/bonuses outside the cap nor will we open the chequebook with marquees.

I don't think not chasing allowances/bonuses is accurate. 

I think we do everything possible within or outside the cap.

We've  tried all the soft cap allowances over the years. With marquees we had back end deals, we've had foreign loanees, brought in injury marquees, we even used whatever fund to bring in Cahill. 

The problem hasn't been working the system, the problem has been the massive turnover of players every season. 

If we retainined all the players from the grand final matchday squad and added 1 or 2 I would be pumped. 

19 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I don't think not chasing allowances/bonuses is accurate. 

I think we do everything possible within or outside the cap.

We've  tried all the soft cap allowances over the years. With marquees we had back end deals, we've had foreign loanees, brought in injury marquees, we even used whatever fund to bring in Cahill. 

The problem hasn't been working the system, the problem has been the massive turnover of players every season. 

If we retainined all the players from the grand final matchday squad and added 1 or 2 I would be pumped. 

Whilst you write this Atkinson walks out of the door on a free transfer.

What you are saying is that we couldn’t afford Atkinsons wage outside the cap? I fail see that we’ve tried everything here, surely his wage demands aren’t that high.

and we haven’t tried to use all allowances have we, nobody stayed long enough in either loyal seniors or youngsters.

Foreign loaners were all insurance paid injury replacements. Cahill partly by the FFA.

You haven’t convinced me! We are just on a budget and we can’t afforded additional free cap space.

Edited by Mr MO

So unfortunately the rumours are true and Atkinson has gone to Perth 😭

Why do we always seem to let the guys who show some passion, wear there heart on their sleeve and play well go? It happens season after season and yet we keep hold of players like Wales. No offence to the bloke but he just doesn't have what it takes to be a starter each week. Time and time again he fails and can't put a cross in to save his life. For anyone who is going to defend him he has had a few seasons now to work on it and yet still can't get it right and it gets frustrating to watch.

5 minutes ago, heart1011 said:

So unfortunately the rumours are true and Atkinson has gone to Perth 😭

Why do we always seem to let the guys who show some passion, wear there heart on their sleeve and play well go? It happens season after season and yet we keep hold of players like Wales. No offence to the bloke but he just doesn't have what it takes to be a starter each week. Time and time again he fails and can't put a cross in to save his life. For anyone who is going to defend him he has had a few seasons now to work on it and yet still can't get it right and it gets frustrating to watch.

Wales is rumoured to Western. This rumour seems to be on the money back in May 

5C958998-5CC8-426C-9981-2B08671CA117.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Did anyone else listen to Simon Pearce last night? He was very self-satisfied, almost smug, saying that City is now "where we want it to be."

Therefore I can't see us changing our approach with Melbourne City and the A-League. Get ready for more of the same.

I saw this and kind of felt the same way too. I can't see much changing either. Atkinson has left and we will probably keep Wales on.. That there speaks volumes.

Each season have a look at our high turnover. Also look at the players we have had that have moved onto other clubs and flourished. I mean just look at the Sydney team we played on Sunday night. 5 of there starting 11 are ex City players. 

Would have much rather they had given opportunities to players like Genreau, Atkinson in his early days to get more game time over someone like Robert Koren for example. Our marquess never quite cut it and we don't have a real play-maker such as a Ninkovic or Castro. It's something that has always let us down. Florin for example played well after the restart but in the Semi against Western United and then the Grand Final on Sunday it felt like he was nowhere to be seen. You have to expect more from a marquee player it's that simple.

It will be very interesting considering what is going on around the World and the pay-cut situation etc going forward.

Just now, CityBoyz said:

Wales is rumoured to Western. This rumour seems to be on the money back in May 

5C958998-5CC8-426C-9981-2B08671CA117.jpeg

No offence to the bloke at all but I really hope Wales goes. He just doesn't have it in him. His crossing is woeful and whenever he gets the ball you know he isn't going to do much..

Wish we had kept Genreau. Felt like he added something and can see him flourishing at Macarthur. Same with Atkinson.

It is always the case with us. Players move on due not getting enough game time etc and go to clubs where they start regularly and end up killing it and we all sit there wishing we had of kept them. It happens season after season...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, heart1011 said:

I saw this and kind of felt the same way too. I can't see much changing either. Atkinson has left and we will probably keep Wales on.. That there speaks volumes.

Each season have a look at our high turnover. Also look at the players we have had that have moved onto other clubs and flourished. I mean just look at the Sydney team we played on Sunday night. 5 of there starting 11 are ex City players. 

Would have much rather they had given opportunities to players like Genreau, Atkinson in his early days to get more game time over someone like Robert Koren for example. Our marquess never quite cut it and we don't have a real play-maker such as a Ninkovic or Castro. It's something that has always let us down. Florin for example played well after the restart but in the Semi against Western United and then the Grand Final on Sunday it felt like he was nowhere to be seen. You have to expect more from a marquee player it's that simple.

It will be very interesting considering what is going on around the World and the pay-cut situation etc going forward.

No offence to the bloke at all but I really hope Wales goes. He just doesn't have it in him. His crossing is woeful and whenever he gets the ball you know he isn't going to do much..

Wish we had kept Genreau. Felt like he added something and can see him flourishing at Macarthur. Same with Atkinson.

It is always the case with us. Players move on due not getting enough game time etc and go to clubs where they start regularly and end up killing it and we all sit there wishing we had of kept them. It happens season after season...

Like Sydney midfield in the final Retre, Brattan, Caceres. All ex city players as well. Sydney had Wilkinson, Redmayne, Retre, Brattan, Caceres and Zullo didn’t play 

If we don’t re-sign Delbo there might be a riot 

Edited by CityBoyz

1 hour ago, CityBoyz said:

Like Sydney midfield in the final Retre, Brattan, Caceres. All ex city players as well. Sydney had Wilkinson, Redmayne, Retre, Brattan, Caceres and Zullo didn’t play 

If we don’t re-sign Delbo there might be a riot 

Re signing Delbridge is a must! Depending if Jamo plays on next season or not the only positive is that we have Galloway who has shown what he is capable of. He isn't afraid to have a shot from long range either which is an added bonus.. 

• Like 1

• jw1739 unpinned this topic